May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
OK, I think the title probably reveals how little I know about this :Sad:

I am looking to possibly get a mobile phone that I can use as a wifi hub that I can connect my iPad through. But I have no idea, and cannot seem to find from googling, whether it is a specific type of phone I need, or if it is an app that will run on a range of phones, or what it is.

In simple idiot terms (and leave iPhone out of it because I cannot justify the cost) what should i be looking for, and even how should I describe it in a way that makes sense to a phone salesman?

David

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi its a mifi you want from 3
Broken Link Removed

reader

Free Member
Apr 27, 2011
IO83rk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Most decent smartphones you can use, ie HTC, Samsung range. I regularly use my HTC desire in the manner you want

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Thanks Andy, but isn't that a stand-alone unit? I actually do not have a mobile phone at all (just a stupid work blackberry), so I was thinking of a phone that would double up?

David

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I would suggest something like MiFi. Using a data sim card. Get an unlocked one so you can swop sim cards.:thumb:

mifi-one.jpeg

It is basically a wifi dongle so does not need to to physically plugged into your laptop, pc, iPad or whatever as it connects using wifi. You can connect up to 4 devices.

If I use my iphone with wifi, (tethereing) Vodafone know I'm not using mobile data but effectively as a modem so charge me on top oif my inclusive data allowance...

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Most decent smartphones you can use, ie HTC, Samsung range. I regularly use my HTC desire in the manner you want

So is it an app, or is it just a feature they all share?

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009

It is a feature called tethering on most smart phones. Note that some mobile providers will charge you an additional tariff to use such a feature.

For example o2 charge the additional tethering data tariff whereas 3 it is normally inclusive of the standard tariff, so best to check. :thumb:

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
Tethering - so that is the word I need - will google once more. Thanks everyone that helped - really appreciate it :thumb:

David

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009

not all have the feature i have a samsung galaxy mini and it has the portable hotspot feature although the mrs's sony also on android doesn't have that facility and hers was more expensive.
if you go to a phone shop make sure you ask about connecting via wifi to your ipad and if necessary take your ipad and get them to show you how to do it.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Many mobile providers are latching on to the fact that users are tethering to effectively use their mobile as modem / routers for laptops, ipads etc.. That is why more and more are charging extra for the data costs outside your "mobile" data allowance.

I used to use my old nokia phone using bluetooth as a modem, no extra charges.
Now if I "tether" my iphone or htc I get charged extra every time.

So it's a seperate data sim for me now, using an usb dongle or the unlocked mifi unit.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The people who say tethering are correct. If you want a phone to do this then it is a tethered phone you need. If however you are happy with your existing phone then a MiFi would be better as then you can get cheaper data and use it for your phone, iPad, laptop and anything else you happen to have switched on.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Samsung galaxy S will act as a wireless router really well..............:thumb:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Before reading this thread I knew that I could use tethering to connect my iPhone 4Sto my ipad2 but the costs were quite high. Then I noticed that with the new software I have a personal hotspot that does the same, however I have a 500mb of data bolt on per month. I called o2 about the cost of charges if I exceed this and the reply was "err, nothing".

Sounds good to me.
Paul

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just looking at this mifi on 3, are there additional charges if used abroad?
Thanks

My 3 mifi is unlocked so I can swop sim cards.

If you get an unlocked one you can just the swop SIM cards around as you travel.
If you use a UK one you will pay VERY expensive roaming charges.

I have local PAYG sims for Germany , Belgium, Holland and so on...
France seems to be the stumbling block though when it comes to finding a cheap local sim.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Before reading this thread I knew that I could use tethering to connect my iPhone 4Sto my ipad2 but the costs were quite high. Then I noticed that with the new software I have a personal hotspot that does the same, however I have a 500mb of data bolt on per month. I called o2 about the cost of charges if I exceed this and the reply was "err, nothing".

Sounds good to me.
Paul

My iPhone 3G S also has the personal hotspot facility.

I am with Vodafone and if I use my iPhone "personal hotspot" I get charged and additional £5 per 500 mb. I contacted Vodafone when this first happened, and they told me this was because I am not using "Mobile Internet" on my phone, where I have a 1Gb monthy allowance.

I am effectively using it as a mobile router / modem so they charge additional costs, which the mobile hotspot on the iPhone does warn you of.

Before the software upgraded to "personal hotspot" I could use the phone "tethered" to my laptop without paying additional costs. The obviously now know when you are using it with another device.... :Angry:

OP
OP
D

DBSilverfox

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Since May 2010
There I was, seduced by all his talk of tethering, but now personal hotspots!

What is the difference?

Maybe you can now understand why I don't even have a mobile phone of my own, I am totally lost.

David

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
There I was, seduced by all his talk of tethering, but now personal hotspots!

What is the difference?

Maybe you can now understand why I don't even have a mobile phone of my own, I am totally lost.

David

Nothing really in essence,

It just uses the wifi to connect and you can connect more than one device.

But now they know you are Tethering your laptop ipad etc so they can charge you more if they so choose....

Another rip off really.....

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Just been away for a few weeks to the canaries. Called O2 and got their bolt on for £1.50 a day for 15mb and if I exceeded it then all that would happen is that it would run slow. The first day I went over and they sent me a text saying that they would now be charging me £5 a day for 50 mb and if I exceeded this then they would charge me a flat rate of £3.07per mb !!!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back