Personal Air Show (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have just parked up at the CL at the bottom of the runway at RAF coningsby.

As I got out of the van a typhoon came belting down the run way upside then shot up with its tail pointing directly at me :Eeek::clap::clap::clap::clap:

It then proceeded to go nuts...

FANTASTIC :thumb:

I am at sandybank farm which is just to the right of the runway if you want to see how close I am...

If I cross the road which is only 20 meters from my I can get into a field with all the landing lights.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=co...ingsby,+Lincolnshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=14

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Did a job last year took a truck to the UK for a friend.

Same area. Nearly s--- myself.

that is flying.

They make it look so easy.

If only

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
better hope there is NO night flying !!!

Flights usually stop before 11:30, they have a 12:00 stop time unless on active missions from what I understand.

They stopped at 8pm last night.

G4OGE

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
Northwich,Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
Caravanning 30+ years
Just Jane

Try and call in and see Just Jane the Lancaster at the museum over that side she is going to be made airworthy again.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Try and call in and see Just Jane the Lancaster at the museum over that side she is going to be made airworthy again.

She is at the other end of the runway from me. I am really lucky that
a) My Dad and now my brother in Law serve(d) in the RAF so I have been given tours round the base during operational hours including standing on the taxi way next to a Tornado taking off on full reheat and clambering about inside a Lancaster as a kid. I think that one was at Scampton at the time though I can't be certain. I just remember it was bloody warm in there.
b) My mum now lives at Coningsby so on visits here I quite often see the flying Lanc strut it's stuff. I have had some wonderful experiences here.

In the last 12 months alone I have
1) Been within a 100 Meters of a scramble for a pair of Apache Helicopters.
2) Had the Lancaster do 1/2 an hour display including some very very very low flying over the village.
3) Twice seen F15's blatting about with Typhoons
4) Had a spitfire fly at low altitude directly towards me as though on a strafing run. Just glad I wasn't german during WW2 as that was a scary moment.
5) Had a typhoon stand on its tail above me with full reheat numerous times.
6) Had the Vulcan land while I was here and at the end of the runway.
7) Seen a couple of Q scrambles. the night time one was seriously impressive.
8) Seen a couple of Nato exercises.

The list goes on. I know I should be over it all having been around the RAF all my childhood. But I still get a buzz out of some aircraft.

As I was typing this a twin seater typhoon has just gone over on full reheat, turned away from me just as passed and blasted me with the full noise. I had to put my fingers in my ears :Eeek:

for me the best sound in the world is the Lancaster. I could listen to that for hours. The best job in the world bar none would be a Spitfire Display pilot.

Anyway, I am getting my chair out. It looks like they are all coming back into land now :thumb:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
large NATO exercise up here at Lossiemouth and flying ALL night, enjoy your airshow

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Having spent 32 years in the Air Force the noise can sometimes be rather intrusive,back in the 80's I lived at RAF Leuchars in Scotland when the F4 phantoms were based there,we lived around 200 metres from the end of the runway under the flightpath,our street was nicknamed reheat alley.speach was impossible when one of them was taking off which was often!Also at the time it was part of the UK's QRA so they took off at all times of the day and night.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Having spent 32 years in the Air Force the noise can sometimes be rather intrusive,back in the 80's I lived at RAF Leuchars in Scotland when the F4 phantoms were based there,we lived around 200 metres from the end of the runway under the flightpath,our street was nicknamed reheat alley.speach was impossible when one of them was taking off which was often!Also at the time it was part of the UK's QRA so they took off at all times of the day and night.

At my sisters house when she was at coningsby all talking stopped and the TV was paused whenever it was take off or landing time so I know what you mean. fortunately when I was growing up the only base where we were any where near the runway was RAF Halton which only ran props not jets back then. However I was just starting to walk when 2 Vulcans came very low over our car in Scotland and it put my walking back by 4 months it scared me that much....

I just tried to find out online where the F15s were from and found this neat motorhome blog.

http://motorhomemoments.wordpress.com/tag/coningsby/

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
In 1980 I was working in Saudi Arabia, I was coming home on leave and got to Dharan airport to find it had been closed for the afternoon. There was a demonstration of F16 fighter planes being shown to the Saudi military, we were able to watch the display, it was incredible one of the planes came hurtling in a vertical dive toward the runway and at the last possible second it went through 180 degrees, it's afterburners came on and it just disappeared into the distance, you'd have thought it impossible for it not to have crashed into the runway, it was worth a couple of hours delay getting home to have witnessed this.:thumb:

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BArpqYspIgU"]Many jets breaking the sound barrier. - YouTube[/ame]

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
My son moved from Chicago last year but while there he was on the 47th floor on the lake side. Incredible vantage point for the Chicago military air show, all the latest aircraft at eye level making the windows rattle. Couldn't help waving to the pilots. :Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Does anyone know if the Mildenhall air show is still run. Some fantastic displays of US aircraft.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just found out tomorrow is BBMF practice day :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Also there is a good chance of a Typhoon display practice again either at 08:00-08:30 OR 13:00-13:30

Then off to the pub tomorrow night for a meal and a few beers.

K9Brian

Free Member
Aug 2, 2010
South Manchester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since April 2010
Spent a few hours parked up in the motorhome at the end of Old Boston Road watching the planes. Good chippy close by if I remember correctly.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Spent a few hours parked up in the motorhome at the end of Old Boston Road watching the planes. Good chippy close by if I remember correctly.

Not a fan of that chippy (Chipmonks) Had a few dodgy bellies from there. Not sure if it is bad or just disagrees with me..:Sad:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
would any one be interested at a rally meet at Rufforth air field York

i used to go to a caravan rally there 20 years ago

if there is enough interest i will consider putting a rally together
so ask your mates and pass it on the sooner i get a response the sooner i can
start to sort some thing out

From the York ring road (A1237) turn left towards the villiage of Rufforth along the B1224.

whoop i will put up a new post for this to get info on

yours Ian

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Typhoon fliers

My nephew is an instructor on this plane wow what a job he flew past me once with another plane abreast right down the river mersey boy that was :Cool:some sight and what a noise I was standing atop a large storage tank facing the river and the whole blooming place shook like an earthquake :roflmto:

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
we live just a few miles from where your parked up and often take the van up to the car park at the side of the runway for an interesting afternoon or on a Sunday (no flying) a nice quiet spot to while away an hour or two with a good book. Enjoy your weekend:thumb:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Reminds me of 1970s camping trips to Shell Island which backs onto RAE Llanbedr, where they used to fly old Gloster Meteors and pilotless drones from.

On the morning of my 18th birthday I peered out of the door of my tent on Shell Island to see an aircraft carving a figure eight with its vapour trail over Snowdonia, followed by a straight line down the side of it as it departed. It looked just like an 18.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Keep an eye out for any dodgy looking geezers with hoodies and a long metal tube sticking out of their caravan... it might not be a wood burner flue... especially if the tow car has North Korean number plates...:winky:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Had a couple of friends turn up an hour or so ago. We had all just retired for the night and another batch of typhoons have come in and done touch and goes. The friends are now stood outside watching them.... Not me. I am inside nice and warm :thumb:

PS: They reckon there is a NATO exercise on. They really are pushing it though as I want to get some sleep:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bit hard with 3 bloody typhoons on full throttle about 200 feet above me head.:Doh:

Last edited:
May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I'm a Vulcan fan and shall be following it this year - the last year it will fly. They have raised over £700k since last autumn just so it can fly again this year! :thumb::thumb:

See http://www.vulcantothesky.org/

Catherine

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Ah the Vulcan bomber...

Now there was a weapon...

Great value for money...

How many times did it go into action?

I know, I know... just having it around saved our lives from those evil Ruskies...

Yeah right... we showed them... and now they have bought Chelsea... :ROFLMAO:

:hardhat: :hardhat: :hardhat:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
My father used to be in the RAF and was involved with the English Electric Lightnings, including being on the team that designed built the flight simulators I well remember( how could anyone forget) watching them take off from RAF Coltishall. They also used to have air displays think it would have been early 70's and as he still knew plenty of people serving I managed to get my picture taken sitting in the cockpit of a Spitfire. he later ended up out in Saudi when the government were trying to flog the no longer needed Lightnings, havn't seen him since I was about 7 years old but I still have a few of his photo's and a load of his plans of electrical circuits and alterations etc for the simulators.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ah the Vulcan bomber...

Now there was a weapon...

Great value for money...

How many times did it go into action?

I know, I know... just having it around saved our lives from those evil Ruskies...

Yeah right... we showed them... and now they have bought Chelsea... :ROFLMAO:

:hardhat: :hardhat: :hardhat:

Deterrent my friend :thumb:

Also they were used in the Falklands and caused the Argies to withdraw some of their fighters back to the mainland. They also put the runway out of action for short period and disabled their radar on a couple of occasions. So yes they have been used in anger as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back