Permanently remove driver's door on A class? (1 Viewer)

hymerhobo

Free Member
Apr 14, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
6 years
I'm considering permanently removing the driver's door on my Hymer A class. Why? Because I never use it, and rather than have to periodically deal with replacing hinges, catches, seals, and so on, I thought it might be quite simple to just block it off. I'd remove the hinges and aluminium trim surrounding the door, screw and glue the door in place, then fill the external gap with plastic metal, fine filler, and finally respray the affected area. Has anyone here actually done this? Would there be problems with insurance? Vehicle modification? The spec would no longer tally with the Certificate of Conformity either. Any thoughts?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
probably best to inform your insurers.

call it an extra security measure, one less door to break in to...they'll like that. :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi, only my opinion but it seems a waste of time, you will knock value off when it comes sale time and what will you gain ? If it is kept locked what is going to happen to it ?Seals etc will more than likely last longer than you will keep the van -- no point
terry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

VMax666

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Knutsford
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2yrs
If it's a LHD then you would be having to get out on the offside in the UK. If RHD which side is the habitation door? On nearside then the opposite would apply on the continent. I'm sure most people would want two exits, in case of fire in kitchen area for example. VMax

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The wifes Hymer 534 never had drivers or pasengers front doors,thats one of the resons she bought it.
Only one door for security purposes.
My Tiffin has a drivers door which I open once a year so the MOT examiner can have a look at the pedal rubbers,the rest of the year its keept locked as you would nead a parachute to get out and a ladder to get in.
IMO leave it locked and save yourself some work.

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
Good point. But then again, a fit person could always get out of a window instead.

Not wishing to voice 'doom and gloom' but would it not be true to say that any ones 'fitness' could easily be an issue if you have just had an accident, therefore making an exit via the window less likely.

PLUS, in the case of a serious accident, you may find that the emergency services have a reduced ability to get you out if you are trapped and the ONE door you do have is on the side of the vehicle laying on the tarmac?

Adge

neilmac

Free Member
Nov 24, 2008
UK, France & Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2nd year
Not wishing to voice 'doom and gloom' but would it not be true to say that any ones 'fitness' could easily be an issue if you have just had an accident, therefore making an exit via the window less likely.

PLUS, in the case of a serious accident, you may find that the emergency services have a reduced ability to get you out if you are trapped and the ONE door you do have is on the side of the vehicle laying on the tarmac?

Adge

If its on its side on tarmac I reckon the windscreen would be out making a very big door!

Our Bel-Air only has habitation door and has never been an inconvenience and IMHO is great for security :Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Adge

believe me, in the event of a serious accident, if the fire dept couldnt get you out of the only door they'd cut a new one....simply remove/cut away the windscreen is the quick option.

Wintonian

Free Member
Nov 30, 2009
Brittany, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our LHD B564 Hymer only has a habitation door - just behind the passenger seat. Never a problem. An emergency escape would be easy. The "Life Hammer" would soon remove the windscreen if it hadn't popped out in a crash. This would create a bigger door than Hymer could fit!

I think that fitting a driver's door in the cab must weaken it substantially as well as contribute to rattles and leaks. "Keep it simple" is a good tenet, and the German designers seem to know what they are doing.:Smile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Our Burstner has a habitation door and a passenger side door and that's it. Found it a bit strange at first but used to it now. I would not personally block a door off nor I must say would I fancy my chances of getting out of a window in an emergency. Not a question of fitness really more one of fatness.:Blush:

6pm Cowboy

Free Member
Jun 26, 2009
South Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
none ( yet )
Exp
0 - but I live in hope
Not a question of fitness really more one of fatness.:Blush:

AMEN TO THAT. :ROFLMAO:

One of the things that puts me off an A class ( just a little ) is the lack of a driver and passenger door. It feels like I would be trapped. though that may be a touch of claustrophobia.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back