Permanent Wired Inverter (2 Viewers)

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Hit the 'multi quote off' button on any post you want to quote and it turns 'on'. When you get to the last post you want to quote hit quote post and hey presto loads of quotes:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hit the 'multi quote off' button on any post you want to quote and it turns 'on'. When you get to the last post you want to quote hit quote post and hey presto loads of quotes:thumb:

Off topic here Brian... but would you insruct me how to get multiple "Quotes" into one reply please...:Blush:

JJ

Me too :ROFLMAO:
terry

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb: EASY WHEN YOU KNOW HOW Thanks Dodgey
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Off topic here Brian... but would you insruct me how to get multiple "Quotes" into one reply please...:Blush:

JJ

I cheated. I copied a quote from haggers ( select text using shift plus arrows or mouse and press Control C ) and pasted it a few times.....

JJ

delete original text with back space or mark and DEL
----- now paste text in here with Control V -----
JJ

.....then slotted in text fromm other messages which I got by opening a second FUN browser window to allow me to scan up and down the thread copying bits, swapping to first browser and replaced the test to quote from the "QUOTE" framework already installed. It takes longer to type this than do it.

I see someone else has posted the "proper" method.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
12v hairdryer?? about as much good as a chocolate tea pot, unless of course you are bald. ::bigsmile:

Look you guys are getting far to logical, its got nowt to do with logic, its to do with toyz's, we just gotta have em.

Olley

OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Well thankfully mission is now accomplished. I will up date my blog on how, fully later. But heres what happened.

After careful consideration and the lack of understanding from others, (thanks for Olley for clearing it up :winky:) heres what happened.

Firstly I encountered problem after problem, my initial plan was to place the Inverter under the seat, with an in line fuse and wired up to the inlet of the 240v input via a relay. On the face of it this appeared quite a simple plan. I had a relay, and set about doing this. However the first problem I then encountered was that the inverter would not fit under the seat,,, dam and blast it was about 4mm to big no matter what I tried. So then it would have to go in the battery compartment and I would have to move one of the batteries under the seat.
Mine was a little more complicated as I already have a professionally wired inverter (750w) for my air conditioning unit wired in where the battery electrics were so these needed moving as well, also I thought I would take the opportunity to tidy up all the other wiring that the last owner had put in, (additional 12 v sockets, radio that will work of leisure battery)

So having moved the battery to be under the seat, I then set about running a cable from the battery compartment to the electric box. This was to go under the van, and back up in to where the 240v inlet was. When I got it there I looked at all the cables and I looked at the regulator, I then phoned a few people including my Dad whom was an electrical engineer on military helicopters for advice on how to wire up the relay. My dads advice was if your asking the question, then don't attempt it. I therefore had to heed his advice and re-invent my plans. So I thought about another idea. This involved using the cable I had already installed to make a 4 3 pin 240 socket in the back of the van for Nikkis hairdryer :winky:. This would mean I had power at the rear of the van which would run from the inverter. I also would not have to disturb any of the Van electrics and potentially create more problems. So alas a little drilling here and there and the sockets were installed.

So back to the inverter end. I then became apparant that when I wanted to use anything off of those sockets at the back I would have to be able to switch the inverter on and off. I could as suggested before leave the inverter permanently on and have a switch in the wire. I thought this to be too dangerous so again had to think about where the Inverter would be housed. Having already taken my seat out and placed the battery under the seat, there was no way I was going to be moving that. Also I thought that now I had actually done that, I could actually house another battery where I had moved the old one from. The inverter would be no good housed there as it would mean everytim I wanted to use it I would have to lift up cushions but more importantly I would not be able to see its dials giving out load ratings and usage and battery condition, (I love a set of lights flashing).

So I then opted to wire the inverter direct to the batteries, the live off one and the earth off the other. I then mounted it behind the drivers seat and next to the bench seat. There its unintrusive, and also has another spare socket available should I choose to use it.

So, now the following has been tested fully, Nikki's hairdryer has been run for more than 1/2 hour and this has not dented the batteries hardly at all (volt meter tested), Harley's laptop, the one that started all this when it would not charge on the smaller 300w inverter now charges perfectly. I can microwave a pie, and most of all I can have proper toast out of my little toaster with ease.

In answer to the boys toys critics, yes it might be juicy, but I have now the option to create a bigger battery bank (should I choose and need too). I will no longer need to get out of my van and fire up my generator when we are travelling down to the alps in winter after stopping over night and having a shower in the morning. I can have pie for breakfast without getting my generator out.

But too top it all off, thanks to another funster, I needed a bigger inverter for the laptop anyway, a minimum of 600w, yet for the same money I have a much bigger and much more useful 1200w installed :thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0025.JPG
    IMG_0025.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    110.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    95.3 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
haganap

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
sorry got pics mixed up

Attachments

• IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 16

gj1023

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
1 week lol
Glad you have sorted it out and am happy now

Gary

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Just a thought
We all make changes and additions to our vans mostly to suit our own needs. Fixed sat systems, extra battery, additional sockets and much more. How many i wonder inform our insurers, my safeguard policy asks is van to original spec or has it been modified.
Steles.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:ROFLMAO: Well done Paul :thumb: personally (IF I ever needed an inverter :ROFLMAO:) I would have installed by the battery, and run an extension lead for the couple of mins needed :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry
Enjoy your pie :thumb:The pastry goes soggy in a micro :ROFLMAO: put it in the gas oven :ROFLMAO::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back