peregrines

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by CWH, Jan 16, 2016.

1. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

Out on the cliff path this morning, stopped to chat with our local Peregrine Spotter.
    He gave me a link to his YouTube list of peregrine, seal and adder clips. Please excuse the shake in some videos - it get a bit breezy at times.
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UU9IB_a0898lFP4xx46orhxQ
    The first clip is of 'our' peregrine pair - just 5 minutes walk away. Not a lot happens but very clear view of the female getting the male to submit. Apparently when this new male appeared on the scene (out old chap died a couple of years ago) it took her over 2 months to entice him into the nesting ledge!

Meanwhile, a bit further along the cliffs, the fulmars have landed. (Not a very clear photo but I don't have such good kit as Peterjw9!)
    IMG_4055.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

Nice one CW....we're lucky we have Peregrines nesting and now roosting on a church in the centre of Brecon..See them when we go for a wander. There were three Bullfinches in our garden this morning and our first large flock of Redwing.(y)

3. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

We only had lots of redwing here once, a few years ago when we had a really bad winter so they were driven south, sadly it was quite bad here too and lots of them died. But there seemed to be thousands - every road edge seemed to be heaving with them. We have single track roads just here with no sidewalk so they were scavenging for food & water in the gutters - most everything was frozen. A bit different from this year! so I don't think we'll be seeing any, anytime soon.

I love bullfinches - we usually have a pair but not seen any this winter so far. I think it's quite funny how often I see a bird out of the corner of my eye and think "was that mister bullfinch?" when I know really that it's a chaffinch - if I'm not sure, it's ALWAYS a chaffinch!

4. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

The Bullfinch stays as a pair for life like Mute Swans, its always a pleasure to see them, today it was 2 males and a female, I think one of the males was from last years brood but you can never be sure. We are do lucky here in the Usk Valley. Mid afternoon I was watching 2 Kites, a Buzzard, Ravens displaying and a female Goshawk...all from the garden:)

• Like Like x 1