LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Out on the cliff path this morning, stopped to chat with our local Peregrine Spotter.
He gave me a link to his YouTube list of peregrine, seal and adder clips. Please excuse the shake in some videos - it get a bit breezy at times.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UU9IB_a0898lFP4xx46orhxQ
The first clip is of 'our' peregrine pair - just 5 minutes walk away. Not a lot happens but very clear view of the female getting the male to submit. Apparently when this new male appeared on the scene (out old chap died a couple of years ago) it took her over 2 months to entice him into the nesting ledge!

Meanwhile, a bit further along the cliffs, the fulmars have landed. (Not a very clear photo but I don't have such good kit as Peterjw9!)
IMG_4055.JPG

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Nice one CW....we're lucky we have Peregrines nesting and now roosting on a church in the centre of Brecon..See them when we go for a wander. There were three Bullfinches in our garden this morning and our first large flock of Redwing.(y)

OP
OP
CWH

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We only had lots of redwing here once, a few years ago when we had a really bad winter so they were driven south, sadly it was quite bad here too and lots of them died. But there seemed to be thousands - every road edge seemed to be heaving with them. We have single track roads just here with no sidewalk so they were scavenging for food & water in the gutters - most everything was frozen. A bit different from this year! so I don't think we'll be seeing any, anytime soon.

I love bullfinches - we usually have a pair but not seen any this winter so far. I think it's quite funny how often I see a bird out of the corner of my eye and think "was that mister bullfinch?" when I know really that it's a chaffinch - if I'm not sure, it's ALWAYS a chaffinch!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
We only had lots of redwing here once, a few years ago when we had a really bad winter so they were driven south, sadly it was quite bad here too and lots of them died. But there seemed to be thousands - every road edge seemed to be heaving with them. We have single track roads just here with no sidewalk so they were scavenging for food & water in the gutters - most everything was frozen. A bit different from this year! so I don't think we'll be seeing any, anytime soon.

I love bullfinches - we usually have a pair but not seen any this winter so far. I think it's quite funny how often I see a bird out of the corner of my eye and think "was that mister bullfinch?" when I know really that it's a chaffinch - if I'm not sure, it's ALWAYS a chaffinch!
The Bullfinch stays as a pair for life like Mute Swans, its always a pleasure to see them, today it was 2 males and a female, I think one of the males was from last years brood but you can never be sure. We are do lucky here in the Usk Valley. Mid afternoon I was watching 2 Kites, a Buzzard, Ravens displaying and a female Goshawk...all from the garden:)

Reactions: CWH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back