Pennine Way

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GRC, Sep 13, 2015.

1. GRC

GRC Funster

has anybody walked the 256 mile, using their Motorhome each night, instead of B&Bs,
    are there any Taxi like firms that will drive your van the 20 odd miles each day for you etc.

256 miles in 14 days, must be mad.

Thanks

Garry

2. jumar

jumar Funster

I walked the PW 20 years ago, solo, in 11 days, its not the best of LDFP in the UK, C to C, Wainwrights route takes some beating. If using your own mororhome you could miss out on the get togethers with fellow walkers at the end of each stage. Thats unless this is your intended plan.:LOL: So paying for a driver, if at all possible, overnight campsites, fuel, could work out as costly as the BandB options.
    We cycle long distance routes in Europe, your plan type comes up in our initial thoughts many times, but as we know there are advantages, the logistics are generally too complicated to consider.
    One option for you would be, wake early, drive van to intended overnight stop, return again via public transport then enjoy your day knowing your van, shower, food and change of clothing awaits you, repeat as and when, you could even have the occasional rest day, due to tiredness, weather etc. If you like peat, sheep and dry stone walls, then the PW is the walk for you. Enjoy.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  3. GRC

GRC Funster

Thanks for your reply, it's not a cost thing, we just want to use our Motorhome, as not to be on deadlines & I dislike B&Bs.

You must of set a good pace @ 11 days = good effort.

4. Zepp

Zepp Funster

You could just take a driver/ friend he drops you off and then picks you up again and takes you to a campsite

Or you could take a backpackers tent and stay on campsites.

5. jumar

jumar Funster

When you walk the PW alone you set the pace, you start at 7 am and finish at 4 pm, I had noting else to do but walk and chat to the few who was going my way.
    It was a fitness test for me, not a stroll taking photos as I went, I enjoyed the challenge but not the route, a little boring compared with the c to c or the Southern Upland Way, even the Cleveland Way is a better route, no intention to offend North Yorkies. I understand the m/h choice, good luck on your planning. 20 mile days would be a good choice of distance, I too would be looking to walk for that distance now I have reached my current age.