Peculiar noise!

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Wurn, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Wurn

Wurn Read Only Funster

Hi all, we have a 2005 Autotrail Cheyenne fitted wit a 2.8 Fiat deisel engine, it has done 13000 miles and had the cam belt changed last year due to age rather than mileage.I have a noise that is really bugging me, and as we are taking off on a long European trip shortly I would like to put my mind at rest.When starting the engine from cold there is a sort of rattly almost chain like noise from the top of the engine at the cam belt end.It disappears after a couple of minutes and only reappears when the engine is cold.Any ideas??? I have a mechanic coming round tomorrow to have a listen but was wondering if it is one of those "they all do it things" or similar.
    Cheers Paul.

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

did they fit the full kit (pulleys etc) or just the belt. I sounds like a dry bearing grumbling use a screwdriver as a stethescope and try to locate the source.

3. Loddy

Loddy Read Only Funster

It's probably the giggle pin getting worn and rattling against the laughing sprocket.

They all do it :Wink:

Loddy

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

wot roger said....:Laughing:

if they fitted the full pulley/belt kit it could also be the water pump on its way out.

its advisable to change the water pump at the same time as the cam belt (not many do though !) as the cam belt has to come off to fit it.

only real way to check it is to release the belt tension and see if theres any play/roughness in the pump spindle/bearing...but great care should be taken not to lose the belt timing.

also...it may be a hydraulic tappet/cam follower is bit sticky and frees off when oil pressure increases.

5. Loddy

Loddy Read Only Funster

slacken the belt but don't let it slip !!!!!!!1 your having a laugh, what terrible advise, Post edited by admin - insult removed:Doh:

Loddy :Doh:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
  6. mick noe

mick noe Funster

if you have hydraulic tappets probably one of those rattling until charged with oil. I have had the same problem with a couple of engines over the years and ignored it..... never gave me any trouble :thumb:

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Your words, Not Johns
    What a terrible comment:RollEyes:

8. Loddy

Loddy Read Only Funster

Release the belt tension = slackening the belt
    dont lose the timing = dont let it slip

Post edited by admin - insult removed

I said what terrible advise and it is, how do you know the original poster don't know one end of a spanner from the other, posting advise like that is not good.

Loddy

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

you only need slacken the belt enough to move the pump pulley up and down....1mm will be enough and not possible for the belt to slip.
    something i wouldnt have a problem doing and i would use locking pins anyway....old school mechanicing still has its place in the workshop !
    No offense to wurn, and i may be wrong, but i assume he wouldnt have the knowledge to do this so a mechanic would be doing it anyway.

oil pressure...if the follower is sticking or the oil is draining back out of it when stood for a period of time it may take a few seconds for it to free off or refill due to the thicker, cold oil.

older vauxhall astra's/nova's were noted for it, sometimes 15 or 20 seconds before they went quiet.

10. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

hope you're not planning on getting to many replies to any other questions if this is your way of thanking people:thumbdown:

11. Wurn

Wurn Read Only Funster

Ooops what have I done wrong?? Havnt had a chance to reply properly as been waiting for all the ideas! It has all been very helpful but please explain how I have offended you!!!!:cry:
    Cheers Paul.

12. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

You have done nothing wrong Paul and Bazzerfry was not aiming his comment at you
    Just a bit of the Ferrai V Mclaren Mechanics talk.

John (papa) gives good advice and Loddy was merely pointing out what pitfalls there would be if you were not trained to carry out such a task (all be it in a little rude fashion)

I think we would all do well to realise that Advice is exactly that, Advice. It should always be taken on face value with the emphasis on the word advice, and never attempting anything we feel uncomfortable with.

My best advice would be Let a Mechanic look at it, let him huff, take a few deep breaths, sigh a bit, shake his head a few times, ask you how much you earn, and then give you the prognosis which will lead to diagnosis and then if hes reputable, a nice little bill at the end of it.
    I have had a similar thing on a few diesels and just put it down to oil travelling up to the top end. :thumb:

good luck with it:Smile:

13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I refuse to participate in a battle of wit with someone who is unarmed!:RollEyes:
    Geo

14. Gooney

Gooney Funster

Love it!! is it copywrited, thats one for future use.:thumb:

15. Dodgey

Dodgey Funster

OIL

Seriously, did you have an oil change when the belt was done. Reason I ask is that 'they' could have used the wrong type and it's to thick when the engines cold therefore not flowing and hitting correct pressure to 'work' the hydraulic tappets?

16. Wurn

Wurn Read Only Funster

Handbags!

Thanks for that! I reread it all and realised what was going on. I am a Lotus man myself,just sold my Turbo Esprit ( and beleive me the Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious thing does really apply to LOTUS!) so I do know a bit about engines, mind you I would go through it all again.
    You would not beleive the mickey taking when I sold the Lotus and bought the Autotrail. Anyway the mechanic is going to listen tonight, but I think the sticky tappet sounds favourite from the location.
    Cheers Paul.

17. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Have used Valvoline oil to cure sticking hydraulic tappets to great effect in the past.Its damn good oil.
    If that's your problem,do an oil change using Valvoline.

18. Loddy

Loddy Read Only Funster

I am not unarmed, I have been in the trade on the spanners longer than you done more MOTs than you, and you are not always right on the advise you give, I sit in front of my computer sometimes and laugh aloud at some of the advise given but don't normally comment, the advise given about slackening a timing belt was not good.
    and by the way when I commented on MHF about my seat belt requirement you shot me down in flames saying I was wrong !! Guess what, you were

Loddy

19. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

20. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster