Pdf to excel

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ShiftZZ, May 11, 2016.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Is there an easy way to convert?

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

There are plenty of programs that claim to convert PDF to Excel, here is one of them https://www.pdftoexcelonline.com/en/

You could try experimenting with cut and paste, this might work better if you save the PDF file to HTML document but not quite sure.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Open your document and click file then chose save as other. Chose doc or docx depending on your office. I have never used this so if crap blame Adobe (y)

4. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Highlight and copy from the .pdf document, then Paste Special to Excel with Values Only selected? If it works you won't get any formulae, just text and numbers.

5. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

@Notakwak he wants Excel not Word.

@ShiftZZ As Jim says there are lot of programs and online sites that claim to do it. They all seem to have varying degrees of success. A lot depends on the content of the file. If it's something fairly basic like a table you should be able to do it but the more complex the file the harder it will be. It will also depend on how the pdf file was created. If it was done properly and all the data was retained you will have more of a chance but a lot of the time when crap software is used to create the pdf then it ends up as little more than a screenshot.

If you get stuck email it to me and I'll have a go with Acrobat but even that doesn't give 100% success.

6. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I have tried most stuff, it would appear that certain parts of the Civil Service publish stuff in PDF manking it imossible to do any calculations or sorting on what was a spreadsheet saved as a pdf file... Simple and annoying

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I have ABBYY PDF Transformer which I obtained bundled in with ABBYY Finereader 11. I normally only use it to convert text/wp documents but it is supposed to convert to Excel as well. If you get stuck send me a copy by e-mail and I'll see what I can do.

8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The usual reason for using PDF is to deter mischief makers from altering figures/text and re-publishing as if it was the original document. It was more effective in the days before the likes of the software being discussed of course.

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

If this is something you need to do quite a bit of it might be worth learning pandoc.
    http://pandoc.org/

I write my stuff in markdown and use pandoc to automatically rewrite to html, wiki and pdf formats in one shot.

Very powerful tool, but not something you can just pick up and use in minutes.

10. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Oops so he does but the option is still there. :D