Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Whats is a good payload? I am looking at 3500kg vans with approx max payload of 500kg. Is that enough for two adults and a large dog? Or should that be two large adults and a dog :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Is see that allowances are already made for driver, fuel and water so doing a quick calc including some optional extras, chairs, small BBQ, 20kg for food and holiday essentials (what I would pack for a 2 week holiday) I would still have approx 200kg to spare (I hope).

I have also read that we should not trust the manufacturers published weight and should have it weigh bridge tested. Is that true and how far off could it be?

Your thoughts and comments please

Cheers,

Steve

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Took the bus to the public weighbridge this morning. We didn't load any clothes, food or personal effects but was full of us, water, fuel and household and kitchen equipment. It also included stuff like camping chairs.
That lot weighed in at 3240Kg, our max being 3500Kg. I'm happy with that as I've calculated that all the extra stuff would come to no more than 80-100Kg erring on the high side.

One odd thing though was that the weighbridge chappie said he could only do 2 weights so we chose the rear axle and the whole motorhome. I still can't quite work why he couldn't weigh the front axle but I didn't argue, just happy to get it weighed!

He did say that we could calculate the weight on the front axle by subtracting the rear axle weight from the total weight but that doesn't sound right to me.
I'm very pleased I read this thread as it spurred me on to do this important safety check.
As I said earlier, I know of owners who hadn't got a clue about weights, safety and the law.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Hope you had all passengers/dogs etc. in as well?
Yes he is right about subtracting one axle weight from the total to get the other axle weight.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Hope you had all passengers/dogs etc. in as well?
Yes he is right about subtracting one axle weight from the total to get the other axle weight.
Ok then, no dog but I've included him in the "extras" calculation.

Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
How accurate are weighbridges?

They are designed, I imagine, to measure lorries up to around 40 tonne. That means our puny 3 to 6 tonne motorhomes are only using a small part of the range.

Errors are often quoted as a certain percent at full scale.

Can anyone quote a typical error, in kg, for a modern well maintained weighbridge?

I would appreciate a serious answer based on fact and not the "I should think it is" type of answer.

Has to be accurate to 3 divisions at all weights & weight is rounded off to the nearest division.
That means if it weighs in 10kg steps it must be accurate to 30kg.
Most weigh in 20kg steps so are accurate to within 60kg.
This is according to the guys that test ours at work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
Ok then, no dog but I've included him in the "extras" calculation.

Small dog then? I need 100kg for two dogs and all their beds, food etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
Our Lab is expected to reach approx. 40kg when fully grown. I would like to think that we would have at least 100kg spare even if that meant travelling without a full water tank. I do think on occasions that we will be wild camping so I will have the van weighed and calculate everything we take with us. Thanks for all of your replies.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back