Payload (1 Viewer)

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Am in the process of calulating our payload after visiting the weighbridge and am weighing every little item before putting it in the MH. My question is "am I overegging it"?
Has anyone been stopped for being over their allowed payload, does this happen often, and if so what were the consequences.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
The most important thing is to weigh your m/h in fully loaded condition including gas, water, dogs and passengers as you would be when traveling ........ weigh each axle separately and ensure the result is within the plated weights for your van.

I have heard that vosa are taking overloaded motorhomes more seriously and of course if you had an accident while over loaded your insurer would most likey refuse to pay out.

Brian

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
You may already have done this but it may be of help to others -

This may help you find the maximum payload of your MH.

Mass in ready-to-smart mode is defined as follows:

Mass of the empty vehicle (including on-board tool kit)
+ Diesel tank filled to 90%

+ 75 kg for driver

+ liquid gas bottle filled to 90%
+ fresh water tank filled to 90% (with 20 Ltrs. fresh water tank in driving mode)
+ fresh water boiler filled to 90%
= Mass in ready-to-start mode

When you have all this loaded into the MH take it to a Weighbridge, we were charged £5, and find out how much spare capacity you have.

Deduct the weighed amount from your maximum payload (3500kg) to get the spare capacity.

My MH has 380kg spare - but many are very close to the maximum.

Don't forget when you go on holiday you will usually have at least one more passenger, clothes, camping chairs and tables, possibly the dog/s, food and, despite them not all weighing a great deal, when they are added up could take you close or even over the payload maximum.

Everyone should know the weight of their MH to avoid overloading as it is not only illegal but also dangerous to themselves and other road users.

If stopped by Police checks and found to be overweight they can make you remove the excess weight, leaving the wife or children behind is not recommended, fine you or impound the vehicle.

For insurance purposes you will not be covered in the case of an accident if overloaded.

Overloading abroad can result in enormous fines and prison sentences.

We have been stopped in France but were well within the payload limit and I have not heard of anyone being fined, points added or stopped from continuing their journey - but why risk it?

:france::france::france:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
We are aware of a few motorhomes being stopped and weighed in france.
One member off another forum were fined €90 on the spot and had to unload quiet a bit of stuff, leaving it at the roadside.. !!
They have now changed their van ..

In the Uk you will be prevented from going on until you loose the weight.
You can be taken to court and fined for it....
So the answer is get it checked and be aware...

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Overweight = fine and points :Sad:
Terry

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Whilst looking to replace our motorhome I havent found one owner selling privately who knows the weight of their Motorhome. In fact one owner was quoting the Max Train Weight minus the Max Weight so was convinced he has 750kgs of payload (although when asked he hasnt actually weighed it.) We are looking at 6 berth Motorhomes and I am keen to know the weight when loaded up for holiday. Dealers (IMO) dont take the issue of payload seriously,

Rant Over - Glass of Red in the lounge for me.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Whilst looking to replace our motorhome I havent found one owner selling privately who knows the weight of their Motorhome. In fact one owner was quoting the Max Train Weight minus the Max Weight so was convinced he has 750kgs of payload (although when asked he hasnt actually weighed it.) We are looking at 6 berth Motorhomes and I am keen to know the weight when loaded up for holiday. Dealers (IMO) dont take the issue of payload seriously,

Rant Over - Glass of Red in the lounge for me.

if you are wanting 6 berth realistically there are none of any use under 3500kg
ours in running order loaded up is just under its 5000kg gross weight and thats with an almost empty rear garage.

a couple of years ago i had it on a weigh bridge and was surprised to find it under in total by 300kg granted the water was empty and there were no passengers in it but i had around 120kg of stuff in the rear garage and on individual axle weights i was 300kg over on the rears.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you find a motorhome you want a basic rule to follow is allow 100kg for each person that will be travelling in the motorhome so if there are 2 of you you need 200kg payload this allows for the weight of the person, i know there are some people that will weigh more and some much less than the 100kg i am quoting so take it as an average but this includes food, clothing, bedding, crockery and footwear for each occupant.
you can get away with draining the fresh water tank and using a small container whilst on a journey but if staying off site you will need to allow for more water.

so for a 6 berth motorhome you need at least 600kg spare payload before you start with awnings, satellite, chairs, and the likes.

fortunately my 6 berth weighed 4180kg with 50% water and 50% fuel so had 820kg spare.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
as long as your license allows you to drive it (if gained after 1997 it may not), it MAY only be a paper excercise to increase your weight to 38250, its worth checking.
We had an IDENTICAL mh , sam eyear/engine/model etc etc etc as another forum member, his was plated at 3500 ours was 38250 maaking us prvate hgv with cheap tax if i remember rightly, BUT......his WAS allowed in the LEZ, mine was.nt:Eeek:...same engine /year etc etc etc:Doh::Doh:, beats the crap outa me, BUT, if you like your MH and need extra payload, it may be the way to go.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Be very careful especially anyone buying secondhand, make a point of going to a weigh bridge.

We bought a brand new Rapido, 791ff four berth and five seat belted seats, it came registered as a 3500Kg with a payload description of 310Kg

The first time I put it on a weighbridge with just me and the wife, doggy and empty tanks weighed 3540Kg.

We got it up-rated to 3700Kg (just a paper excercise) but upon reweighing with all we need in it weighed 3800Kg

After empting the garage I got it down below its 3700Kg but the rear axle still rated at 2000Kg with an empty garage was 1960Kg therefore we have a huge garage that we can in theory put 40Kg in but due to the large overhang in practical terms it would be less than this so the garage is one huge chocolate tea pot.

Imagine having five people aboard and the extra luggage, they had better all only have swimsuits.

I very much doubt if this problem is specific to Rapido so as I started off saying go to a weigh bridge before deciding to part with cash.

Just as an aside if we decided to put a tow bar on this van or a bike rack , due to the weight of the tow bar or two bike rack it would instantly become illegal.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
you are so right there, our swift suntor 630g, had a huge garage.........but they recommended no more than 20kg in there if i remember, which ruled out moped/scooters and probably even electric bikes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back