Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi there,

As I am slowly getting the hang of my Auto-trail Apache 634, I thought I would do the sensible thing and put her on a weighbridge.

The loading was with 2 full gas bottles 1/2 tank of diesel for 200+ miles, no water as it's free, I will use a 10L water can for travelling. All cooking and crockery implements, all bedding and us the two owners sitting in it. So the only thing missing is our spare clothing and personal possession which I expect will be about 40kg.

The V5 states 3500kg max capacity
Weighbridge came in at 3370kg

So I have a spare payload of 130kg with the van in running condition.

I recon if I fit a bike rack on, it may tip her over the weight limit and I won't be able to bring any nice trinkets back from our travels.

How many owners check the running condition weight of their vehicles?.

It was a great run out as I picked a weighbridge 20 miles away so I could give the engine a run. Though the satnav (CoPilot Caravan) sent me down a country lane where I was touching hedges both sides and grass growing up the middle.

Mick

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Must get around to weighing ours anyone else done it with a flash 10 chausson on paper should have a fair bit to play with. On the original post I can see the point of travelling with less water but why in a smaller container just an extra thing to carry just go with less in the tank.

Upvote 0
Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
If you jettison the contents of the half full grey water tank when you fill the fresh water tank you'll have even more payload to play with!!! :rolleyes:

Yes I realise that but when wild camping you can't just jettison the grey water anywhere, so we wanted to know just what we had to play with when FULLY fully loaded just to be safe.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 1

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes I realise that but when wild camping you can't just jettison the grey water anywhere, so we wanted to know just what we had to play with when FULLY fully loaded just to be safe.
... in that case don't forget to make an allowance for all the cream-cakes/food and alcohol you'll consume when on holiday as you expand your own 'personal' payload! :D

Upvote 0

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
Hi there,

As I am slowly getting the hang of my Auto-trail Apache 634, I thought I would do the sensible thing and put her on a weighbridge.

The loading was with 2 full gas bottles 1/2 tank of diesel for 200+ miles, no water as it's free, I will use a 10L water can for travelling. All cooking and crockery implements, all bedding and us the two owners sitting in it. So the only thing missing is our spare clothing and personal possession which I expect will be about 40kg.

The V5 states 3500kg max capacity
Weighbridge came in at 3370kg

So I have a spare payload of 130kg with the van in running condition.

I recon if I fit a bike rack on, it may tip her over the weight limit and I won't be able to bring any nice trinkets back from our travels.

How many owners check the running condition weight of their vehicles?.

It was a great run out as I picked a weighbridge 20 miles away so I could give the engine a run. Though the satnav (CoPilot Caravan) sent me down a country lane where I was touching hedges both sides and grass growing up the middle.

Mick

We have an Autoquest 300, which I also assumed for some reason was 3500kg, the V5 says 3200kg. Wouldn't have even thought about taking it to a weighbridge until we joined MH Fun, then I started worrying about it. We took it recently, like yourself with 2 full gas bottles, full tank of diesel, about half a tank of water, us two plus the dog and everything in it except for clothes and food for long journey, came in at 3000kg exactly. We won't be taking bikes although it has a bike rack, so we're hoping that 200kg is plenty enough for food, clothes and a few bits and bobs. We still haven't found the "plate" that people refer to so we're going by the V5 weight until we locate it....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back