Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
We are moving home next week from our Bessacarr into a Hymer Starline 640. This has the 2.8 lump mated to a manual box with facing sofas layout ie no dinette; can anyone tell me the approximate payload please? Toby Trux

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Only way you can tell that accurately is to take it empty to a weighbridge which will give you unladen weight then look on the onboard weight plate and take one from the other. Different layouts / number of batteries etc.etc. will cause variation between models so someone else 's ULW and payload could leave you overloaded

OP
OP
C

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
Ta for your prompt reply! Yes, we'll drive it straight from the dealer to the weighbridge next Thursday. Keep on truckin' Toby.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Obviously a weighbridge will give the true result but I would be surprised if you have a problem with lack of payload. It will depend on which Sprinter chassis it is built on. Assuming it is from around 1998-2005 it will be on either a 316 or 416 chassis (it's a 2.7 litre engine by the way with 156 bhp, not a 2.8 litre - that was the Fiat JTD engine). Again assuming it has not been down-plated, the GVW for the 316 is 3.8 tonnes and for the 416 it's 4.6 tonnes. That would give an approximate gross payload of around 800 kg or 1.3-1.4 tonnes respectively. I say gross because from that you must subtract the weight of any non-standard extras such as awning, satellite dish, extra battery, cab and/or roof air-con, cycle rack, bigger engine (the 'standard' was a 2.2 litre), tow-bar etc. You would be amazed how the extras can add up. In my case they come to just over 200 kg and that is on a Star-Line 630 based on a 316 chassis.

OP
OP
C

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
Was planning to drive straight from the dealer to the scales on Thurs next anyhow; I will inform you of the ulw then (also). Toby Trux.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

Crusty jack

Free Member
Dec 2, 2015
West Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 640
Exp
Since1994
Well JeanLuc, we have taken delivery of our 1999 Hymer Starline and only 2 days late; unfortunately this meant a closed set of scales for the weekend. As full timers we had to move in on the day so will only be able to weigh Felix's gross weight sometime soon. The lump is, as suspected, the well thought of 2.9 5 pot, thus pre cdi - result !!!!!!! Only two jobs to be done initially, purchase and figment of the correct propane regulator to replace the butane (?) one fitted to the under slung lpg tank by the approved craftsmen (?) in the dealer's workshop and also a British attachment for the German filler, the second being to replace most of the internal bulbs with LEDs. I will endeavour to inform you of subsequent fuel returns. First overseas trip booked for France in mid January. Bring it on !!!!!!! Toby Trux.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back