Payload Question And Others! (1 Viewer)

May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
hi we are looking to buy our first motorhome in the next few months and have been reading around a bit but have a few questions we wonder if anyone can help with ...

How you find out the payload before you buy? Do people ask dealer to drive you to a weighbridge? Or just trust that it will be ok? Then weigh it once you own it? Or ask for it to be weighed as a condition of sale?

Do people ask to see a habitation check to find out about damp before agreeing to buy?

How much generally can you negotiate off the price? If a motorhome is advertised at£33k would £30k be cheeky?

hope these don't seem like silly questions!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Lizi,

Payload is like a piece of string....it could be anything.

If the van has had extras fitted...towbar, solar panels, extra battery etc it all counts as payload but is obviously unremovable...unlike things like water, waste water, food, clothing, passengers etc.

Theres isnt any real way to know how much payload you have without a visit to a weighbridge, either completely empty....no water or waste, no food, clothing or passengers or fully loaded as you intend travelling inc passengers and a full fuel tank, and its very unlikely a dealer will go to that trouble.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Hi and welcome aboard
hi we are looking to buy our first motorhome in the next few months and have been reading around a bit but have a few questions we wonder if anyone can help with ...

How you find out the payload before you buy? Do people ask dealer to drive you to a weighbridge? Or just trust that it will be ok? Then weigh it once you own it? Or ask for it to be weighed as a condition of sale? .. Difficult as it needs to we weighed fully loaded. When you find one ask again on here if anyone has any info on the model.

Do people ask to see a habitation check to find out about damp before agreeing to buy? YES

How much generally can you negotiate off the price? If a motorhome is advertised at£33k would £30k be cheeky? ... Start at 28K & settle for 30K

No such thing as a silly question on FUN

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010

How you find out the payload before you buy? Do people ask dealer to drive you to a weighbridge? Or just trust that it will be ok? Then weigh it once you own it? Or ask for it to be weighed as a condition of sale?

Do people ask to see a habitation check to find out about damp before agreeing to buy?

How much generally can you negotiate off the price? If a motorhome is advertised at£33k would £30k be cheeky?

No, £30k would not be cheeky. Perhaps £25k would be :D:D:D

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Weighing fully loaded will tell you how much payload you have left.
weighing empty will tell you how much payload you have in total.....but then you need to weigh everything you put in up to the vans gross weight.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lizi
May 19, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
6 years
Gosh these replies are quick! Thank you. the payload is still worrying me - not that we will take masses of stuff, as campers with no trailer we are used to travelling light-ish. But what if there was no room for real essentials like outdoor chairs, bikes, dog and bag of clothes each, plus ourselves! Or am I just worrying unnecessarily? There is only two of us plus dog.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When we bought ours I half filled the fuel tank and half filled the water tank, one bottle of gas but grey and black tanks empty. It has a tow bar and bike rack fitted and air suspension.
It went over the bridge at 3200 which was a bit of a shock as rated at 3500kgs so very little payload but on checking it's actually rated at 3700kg so 500 kgs payload which is fine.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Gosh these replies are quick! Thank you. the payload is still worrying me - not that we will take masses of stuff, as campers with no trailer we are used to travelling light-ish. But what if there was no room for real essentials like outdoor chairs, bikes, dog and bag of clothes each, plus ourselves! Or am I just worrying unnecessarily? There is only two of us plus dog.
You won't know until you find the one for you, then have it weighed as I did. It doesn't cost a great deal to have it uprated so you can carry more.

Upvote 0

dna

Jan 17, 2010
Llandudno
Funster No
MH
AT Tribute 680 pvc
Exp
since 2009
For most vans you should be able to find the basic information on-line. That will give you an idea of the payload when the van was built. When we were looking, any van with a payload of less than 500kg made me cautious as we have 2 adults, a 19 year old and a 17 year old.
As others have said the ex-works weight is only a guide but helps knowing which vans to be wary of.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Perhaps once you decide what van you like you could ask again giving van details.....there will be a few, if not many, members with the same van who can advise much better than guesswork.

If you do make the mistake of buying too 'light' it can usually be uprated to a higher maximum weight giving a higher payload, depending on your driving licence.

Test taken pre 1997 you should have category C1 which allows up to 7500kg
post 1997 you are restricted to 3500kg but can sit a C1 test to get the 7500kg entitlement.

You only get around 5 free forum posts so to continue posting you will need to subscribe and become a full member....really is worth ten quid and you will get much more in return with advise and discounts from some dealers on parts and accessories.

Upvote 0
Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
When we bought our Motorhome I didn't give much thought to payload until I joined motorhome fun and saw it mentioned on here a few times and then doubts started to creep in. So filled up with fuel and gas but no water and took off to the weighbridge with wife and dog, weighed in right on the limit 3500kg. It was either leave wife and dog at home or have it uprated, so for a quiet life I had it uprated to 3850kg.

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
When we bought our Motorhome I didn't give much thought to payload until I joined motorhome fun and saw it mentioned on here a few times and then doubts started to creep in. So filled up with fuel and gas but no water and took off to the weighbridge with wife and dog, weighed in right on the limit 3500kg. It was either leave wife and dog at home or have it uprated, so for a quiet life I had it uprated to 3850kg.
Chicken! :LOL:

Upvote 0
Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
If you are seriously interested in a particular MH I would ask the dealer/owner to have it weighed in the exact condition it is sold in. The cost and amount of time for the seller to do this is minor to the time and cost of say advertising or even cleaning the MH and I guess that MH sellers of all types do both of these things without argument.

If you have to upgrade the weight of a 3500 kgs MH it will cost you a little more than £300, to have a MH weighed will cost the seller perhaps £10 - £15 pounds and may take all of 30 minutes. If you don't have a C1 license then the payload is critical to you as hardly any 3500 kgs MH's have a generous payload.

I think that it should be made mandatory to explain to the buyer if there is the capacity to carry passengers, pets, food, water and clothes, pretty basic bit of information to my mind. In the past as buyers we have accepted this lack of information, but with smart road systems being built it may become more important?

As a last resort if you have a difficult seller and are really interested in a MH you can always offer to pay the weighbridge costs?

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Your thinking sensibly along the right lines...personally would not buy a used van without a weight ticket. Or getting an independent damp inspection ( a pro meter fine but you need to know where to look!) Better to lose a few quid and be able to walk away from the deal than end up with an expensive lemon!

What make of van you after....

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014

We're even quicker at answering MEMBERS questions.:D:D:D

Go On. Put your hand in your pocket and get that £10 spent.

Here endeth the Membership drive, This is Emmitdb, Yorkshireman (with a Scottish mother) for Motorhomefun.

Upvote 0

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Been registered on Fun for sometime, but only stumped up the cash to join recently, but I've had a lot of time to look at many questions and answers, so we got our van recently, Gross vehicle weight is only 3.100 tonnes or 3100kgs and we only had a 420kg payload, so first effort got things loaded and off to a weighbridge, fortunately still got a bit of payload left so we're happy, we went to a private company, as when I enquired at our local council household waste site, yes I could have it weighed, but no one or any animal could stay inside, and total weight only, no weighing individual axles, so defeats the object of what I felt I needed to do, and have answers to, because we had 3 different weight measurements it cost total of £15, £5 each throw, 83 pence a time for vat, I felt it was worth the peace of mind? I decided on this occasion not to go to the trading standards weighbridge, just in case we were over:whistle:

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
If you went to TS or public weighbridge and you were over, would they report you? After all, you are doing the right thing aren`t you?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
If you went to TS or public weighbridge and you were over, would they report you? After all, you are doing the right thing aren`t you?

No reason for them to know if you're over or not. They're just weighing it, you don't need to tell them what your plated weights are.

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Yes, we asked for a test drive to include a visit to a local weighbridge, at the dealers expense. Which they did.

Yes, check for damp, do you know a fellow m/h'er
with the knowledge were to test, and has a test meter. Also have a look on the roof, are there any area's were water could have collected, are the seals looking good.. are there any areas were cables have been routed through the roof, if so, carefully check the area inside.

also, open each cupboard a take a deep breath, can you smell any damp??

Listen to your gut feeling, and be prepared to walk away.

Upvote 0

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
No reason for them to know if you're over or not. They're just weighing it, you don't need to tell them what your plated weights are.

Good point, had not thought of that, thanks. I`ve posted previously about this issue, and have been putting it off, but having just completed an 8 day, 500 mile tour through mid Wales and Shropshire, think I better bite the bullet!

Upvote 0

TheWM

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9010df
Exp
Newbie, but over 10 years in a campervan
Me too.

I know I'll be overweight.

I have a tow bar, solar, satellite, air suspension on a Rapido :sick:

The problem is, I'm pretty sure given the suspension mods it's probably good for 4t+ so I'll be safe - but VOSA won't see it that way.

Upvote 0

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie

In all honesty I don't really know, but local news a couple of weeks ago driver of a small van transporting goods was pulled over taken to a weighbridge and was found to be over weight not by a lot, but he appeared in court recently, I also have to say that this is not the first time for this person to appear in court for being over weight. As total newbies I've read on this site stories about vehicles being confiscated and large fines particularly in Europe, unless someone is trying to wind others up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back