Payload, how much for our first motorhome ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
We're looking for our first 2 berth motorhome and need a bit of advice regarding payload or lack of it.
We're considering a secondhand Autosleeper El Duo but the max payload of 277KG doesn't seem very generous especially when it's already fitted with a towbar and satellite system, by the time we add a passenger say 75KG I suspect we're left with approximately 125KG for everything else to stay under 3500KG which doesn't seem very much. I don't fancy the option to upgrade the GVW and are also considering a secondhand Bessacarr 540 which has a heavier 370KG payload.
Any advice would be most welcome.

Chris & Jane

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Hello, thanks for your comments and we'll look into the weight upgrade route. We won't be carrying any bikes or towing anything but we can see the benefit of a towbar to protect the rear end !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My van plated at 3500 kg had 580 kg payload, I upgraded to 3850 kg as were always on or over the limit, we don't carry much junk & don't have an awning.

Upvote 0

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Our bespoke PVC has a payload of approx 350Kg, 2 leisure batteries, Fiamma awning and probably a bikecarrier when the calculation was done.
I'd get rid of the towbar if you won't use it
regards,
alan b

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Look for as big a payload as you can. We had to uprate ours to 3700kg. Benefits are cheaper tax and a 500+kg payload.

Thanks for the good advice based on your experiences, looks like the Autosleeper is out of the running.

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
There are a lot of vans in the 3500kg class that are very optimistic about their payloads. When I weighed ours, it was very close to what it was designed to be, giving an original payload of around 300kg. There are some vans that are very close to their maximum weight limit straight out of the factory.
Uprating the van is generally a paper exercise and costs around £320 from SVTech.
Just make sure the chassis is suitable, plenty of info on here about people's experiences with uprating.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
Be aware of the fact that it is not just a case of uprating and then being able to carry all the things you want. Weight distribution is equally important: each axle has a maximum weight allowance.

We uprated our van to 3800kg, not because we were overweight but because we were always too close to feel comfortable. We still have to be very careful that we don't overload the rear kitchen with tins and water bottles as that would tip the rear axle over its limit.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hymer B644 Garage model.

4 berth, fixed transverse double bed and pull down over cab bed.
Double floor with storage between
Fully winterised , all services, fresh and grey tanks between floors .

Length 7mt ,

Unladen weight 3000 kg

Payload 1000 kg

MAM 4000 kg

NB> Some may have been downplated to 3,500kg

Some photos Broken Link Removed

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
and don't presume bigger is going to give you more, we bought a 8m twin axled Hymer with max weight of 5 tons, I happily drove around smugly thinking we had masses of spare, no need to get weighed

Decided I really should do, and with only half fuel and no other half we were 5200kg!!

Now replated to 5500kg, but still not got the smugness back :)

Upvote 0
Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
Only way to know what you have is to weigh van. 270 kg pathetic to be honest
And if it's a van you have yet to buy, make sure you're present when it's weighed. Not that I'm suggesting that anyone would seek to mislead you, of course.;)

BTW I have a lovely van for sale with a payload of around 800 kg - see link below. We have frequently used all of that available payload and I wouldn't entertain anything like the figures in the OP.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
One of the first things we do before the first trip of the year is to load the van with everything we usually carry, fill with fuel and half a tank of water and then go to the weighbridge. We have it weighed with us inside and both axles on a flat plate bridge at a local goods yard.

So far so good with the Chausson, when we get the SunLiving in April we will do the same :)

The Chausson is plated at 3500kg, the new van 3650kg.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Be aware of the fact that it is not just a case of uprating and then being able to carry all the things you want. Weight distribution is equally important: each axle has a maximum weight allowance.

We uprated our van to 3800kg, not because we were overweight but because we were always too close to feel comfortable. We still have to be very careful that we don't overload the rear kitchen with tins and water bottles as that would tip the rear axle over its limit.
Same with us except we have to be careful with garage loading, after upgrading we are still on the limit with the rear axle when we carry extra water in the garage.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back