Jun 19, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
10 years
Hi
can someone please clarify the importance, and legality of payload and axle weight on a motorhome. how do i check axle wieght. what is the difference between an empty van and loaded one ready for the road.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Payload is the difference between the Mass in Running Order(MIRO) & the MAM or GVW( plated weight as stated on V5
Whilst the MAM must not be exceeded it is also important not to exceed the individual axle weights( as stated on the VIN plate).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Payload is as has been said the difference in what your MoHo weighs with half a tank of derv and you in it sat on the weighbridge if I remember correctly and the max it says on the log book.
Axle weights are completely different. While you may be under your max weight you may have too much over the front or rear axle. In a coachbuilt it would most likely be the rear axle you would be too heavy on . Sticking a motorcycle on a rack on the back would probably do it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Davfo42

Davfo42

Free Member
Jun 19, 2015
Ireland
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
10 years
Am I right in saying if I only have the back wheels on the weigh bridge I get the back axle weight and drive on the front wheels onto the weigh bridge I get the front axle weight.

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Am I right in saying if I only have the back wheels on the weigh bridge I get the back axle weight and drive on the front wheels onto the weigh bridge I get the front axle weight.

Yes but.. You would drive up. front axle on - take the weight. drive all van on - take the weight. drive forward with just rear axle on - take the weight

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Mass in Running Order is a mythical weight created out of fairy dust by the manufacturers.
Its never low enough for you to put everything you want to put into the van, (including, but not exclusively comprising of significant other, dog, kids (in that order) and fuel and water for the hols.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back