Paying for your van

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by PORKSTER, Jul 15, 2014.

1. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

If any of you have bought a van private sale for tens of thousands rather than a few thou how did you safely go about the money side. I dont want to walk around with that kind of money and i certainly wouldn't want to accept that kind of money cash myself. Im looking at a van now and its at top of country as good as so i wont be having a look and returning I need to do deal there that day. As always any help be great thanks in advance Paul

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

cash is king . gets the best deals .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

BACs - bank transfer - bought a van and sold existing last week - both on-line bank transfers
    • (y)

4. PAGR

PAGR Funster Life Member

Arrange to visit a local branch of your bank with the seller.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

BACS is good, but we have a 20K daily total limit, so could still be an issue for an 'on the day' deal

But to get a few thousands out of the bank is not going to be easy, let alone the risk of carrying it around

6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

For bigger amounts that that you can use CHAPS instead of BACS. You need to go into a branch and sign a form, they charge you about 30 quid and it's same day.

• Like Like x 1
  7. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We paid ours with debit card. The seller who was actually a car dealer had to phone for authorisation of some sort, said it happened frequently with kinda large purchases.
    I would make sure if buying private you get an HPI check done and rechecked immediately before parting with any money.

• Like Like x 2
  8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I have experience of this having helped a fellow funster deal with a wild boy who insisted on cash. we done the deal in the sellers towns branch of the buyers bank. Telephoned beforehand to set up a date, re-inspected the van, got all the documents ready, went to the bank with him, got given a transaction room, withdrew money, handed over docs, thank you and good bye.

On another occassion I had to dive through Tranmere with 17k in cash in a brown envelope from the buyers bank to my bank after there was a hic up with a BACS transfer where they insisted on charging £50 for the service because of the ammount of transaction. He ended up withdrawing cash in a strop with the bank and giving it to us.... Very scarey walk, it was like the whole town knew we had the cash on us :mad:

9. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

I think you are going to have to factor in a return journey, it will also give you thinking time

Out of a £20K + possibly ++ MH the cost issue is insignificant

Good luck though

10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

You could use a banker's draft, which is like a cheque which doesn't bounce. There will be a fee, perhaps £15. It will have to be made out in advance in the name of the seller. Speak to your bank and also the seller so they are happy with it. They may want to go to their bank on the day of sale so the bank can assure them it is bona.

11. daisy mae

daisy mae Read Only Funster

When I bought my first one privately, I paid £2000 cash as deposit, then went with a bankers draft for £16000, next one to a dealer, paid deposit of £3000 by debit card and then arranged with my bank for a week later for the £21000 which was in my bank, was given a code for the dealer, had to ring up and wait for it to be processed then it was into the dealers bank account after a few minutes, I was worried in case anything went wrong as I had never paid this way before, I always pay by cash, this was cash but paid a different way, to pay by actual cash in the hand the limit now is £9000 by law,

• Like Like x 1
  12. PORKSTER

PORKSTER Funster

I have messaged seller asking what he thinks and will have to talk to my Bank appears to be plenty of options. Im 90% sure its the van for me I am happy with sellers answers hes provided me with everything I have asked for thus far. Infact he has been far better than any dealer i have come across recently.

13. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

When I bought mine.... A HPI check told there was finance with Black Horse, the seller did not know I knew but told me when I asked which was a good sign, on collection day the bank gave me a number to ring because of the large amount involved, first I paid Black Horse direct to clear the finance on the phone by card from the sellers house, next as they had a business I paid them the balance on my debit card but we had a lot messing about getting it through, at one stage the sellers said I could take and settle the next day but it did in end go through, I was lucky that I dealt genuine folks.

14. ukbill

ukbill Funster

use Tesco points :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

If you think its a problem here in the UK, dont buy from a German, they are only interested in hard cash.

• Like Like x 1
  16. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Whilst Bankers Drafts are a very acceptable means of paying for a large item, it has been known for even these to be forged.

When my daughter sold her Disco. the buyer went with her to her bank and the transaction was done by them in the premises with the assistance of the bank.
    I wouldn't accept a cheque or any other piece of paper personally. It has to be electronically transferred between banks for me.

• Like Like x 2
  17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i wont go into details, but i have bought quite a few vans for cash, even over £25,000. if nobody else knows you are carrying large sums of cash, then there is little risk. after all £25k s only 500 small pieces of paper if you use £50 notes

• Like Like x 1
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Much less if paying in Euros with 500 Euro notes. 50000 will easily fit in your inside pocket.

19. Abacist

Abacist Funster

BACS is not usually appropriate as it is a three day service. Day 1 the buyer sends the BACS request to his bank, Day two the bank deals with the transaction and Day 3 the money is in the sellers bank account.

CHAPS is the way to go and this is what is used for house sale transactions unless you have personal internet banking not limited by some daily transaction limit which is common.

With CHAPS you fill in a form with all the details and pay a fee of about £15 and deliver it to the bank before the cut-off time and the transaction should go through that day. I say should because it has been known for there to be too many to deal with on the day and some get pushed to the next day so don't pick Friday to do a deal as it might get delayed to Monday. Find out the cut-off time and get your form in well before then! The money is cleared funds.

http://www.payyourway.org.uk/payments-explained/chaps/

20. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

and to make the HPI guarantee valid you must enter the V5 reference number BEFORE the seller sends his part to DVLA.
    once its in your name its too late and the guarantee is void.

• Like Like x 1