Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I want to drive my NEW vehicle from the dealer not get it secondhand with hundreds of miles on the clock. It is the pride of new on the road.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
And I am sure the dealer is expecting a sale if they are prepared to do a 900 mile round trip if you decide not to accept the vehicle.

But what has the dealer said? Are they still coming with no money up front? If they won't come could you offer say to retain 10% to be paid on the day?
Haven't got a reply yet but expect one tomorrow. I guess I could try that but will probably go there and collect.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
I want to drive my NEW vehicle from the dealer not get it secondhand with hundreds of miles on the clock. It is the pride of new on the road.
I have recently done that with a Porsche and Merc, didn't bother me. One from Chester, one from Manchester. Never bothered me but it would have 20 years ago though.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
Perhaps using the word 'Register' was wrong! - I am expected to pay the Road fund licence myself at the local post office (or on-line) with the V5C/2 form! :confused:
Unfortunately vehicles can no longer be sold with the vehicle excise licence.(tax disc).
The dealer is correct that you will have to tax it yourself. The problem you have is getting it taxed before you drive it away, the easiest would be to get the car insurance in force and go online and get tax. I taxed one of my cars a few weeks ago and now it gives you the option of paying monthly via direct debit which is handy. Another option perhaps is to find a local post office which does tax and get the dealer to run you there to get the tax before you set off home.

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks Puddleduck and Spanish Steve! Can now relax. Post Office just down the road from the dealer! (y)(y)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Before our new s/hand MH was delivered to us in October we got a letter requesting full payment at least 3 days before delivery. Spoke to seller to advise no way, would pay once delivered and checked out. No problem.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I can only agree with most everybody else. Go and collect your motorhome and then pay if you are happy. (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Thanks Puddleduck and Spanish Steve! Can now relax. Post Office just down the road from the dealer! (y)(y)

I would urge you to set up the vehicle insurance at least 48 hours before the intended collection, thereby giving time for the insurers to get the information up on the dvla database..

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Hi John,
Did do. Got SAGA insurance on Monday for pick up next Saturday. Certificate arrived on-line.(y)

Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
When I bought our motorhome, the dealer wanted payment up front before I collected it. I, naturally, wasn't too happy at this idea and told them so. I paid the bulk of the money by bank transfer in the week before we picked it up and then the rest after inspection via debit card. They didn't seem too happy, but TBH we won't be going back there, so I'm not bothered!! :oops2:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
Do you remember Discover going out of business a few years ago, people had paid money up front deposits and extras fitted etc, they would then have had to go on the list of creditors to get something back, for what it's worth pick it up and check it first, my mate dennis lives in Aberdeen he picked his up at Newark. Pete

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Bought mine in Portsmouth whilst on a trip in its predecessor. Picked it up in person six weeks later.

Mack100

Free Member
Jul 27, 2013
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We inspected ours before we paid. Didn't do much good, we missed the hole they left in the roof during manufacture, been away 7 weeks for the repair, collect it Monday!

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
We inspected ours before we paid. Didn't do much good, we missed the hole they left in the roof during manufacture, been away 7 weeks for the repair, collect it Monday!

Bu99er!!!!:(

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
A golden rule when purchasing anything at arms length is DON"T PAY UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN AND TESTED IT
Also be aware that there hundreds if not thousands of scams on Ebay, Autotrader and most other vehicle sales websites were the purported seller claims they will deliver once you have paid into a PayPal account which is actually a phoney account

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Registrations of new vehicle can be done on the day. All that flannel about it being registered and then if the sale falls though the dealer is left with a pre reg vehicle is codswallop They can do all the PDI, on both the vehicle and living unit prior to you visiting and making your inspection. If you are not happy you can walk away, they will try and hold your initial deposit but they are still in difficulty on this point if you can prove the vehicle was not up to scratch.. All the new model demonstrators that you walk in and out on the forecourt are not registered but they are all ready to go if bought then all they need is another clean and registering . My dealer in Cranham did exactly that once the MH was in and prepped, I was invited in to go over everything and we arranged a handover date a few days later. On the day of collection debit card payment. Through the whole process we felt in control.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
I forewarned the bank that I would be using my debit card for a large amount of money. When all was ok, I used debit card as funds were in current account.
The bank phoned me straight away with security questions. Dealers had funds in his account within 15 minutes.
Do not pay until you are happy with everything. The money is the only bargaining tool you have with the dealer.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Ours was a 600 mile round trip (West Wales to Hull) and, although free delivery was offered, I picked it up. Like some above, I was not prepared to let someone else thrash MH down the motorway before I had even seen it. Had a leisurely look around the van and the dealer provided a very comprehensive handover and then had a pleasant drive home trying out various things on the way. paid a £300 deposit in the October and then paid the rest on the debit card at pick-up.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Now that most the local Taxation offices have close, how do they register it without having to spend weeks waiting for the postal service to take it back and forth. Dealers used to send a person in a car and get it from Maidstone for us in Kent and it was done there and then. Issued and tax disc but NOW?????

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
I have now arranged to pick up my new Motorhome and pay on the day :)

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Now that most the local Taxation offices have close, how do they register it without having to spend weeks waiting for the postal service to take it back and forth. Dealers used to send a person in a car and get it from Maidstone for us in Kent and it was done there and then. Issued and tax disc but NOW?????

And the number plates as well?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back