Paying for new motorhome (1 Viewer)

Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Maybe left this a bit late, but has anyone ever paid for a new motorhome (£50,000) with a debit card? Hayes say this is ok, but our bank weren't sure. We are going in to the bank tomorrow to get a Bankers' Draft, but I have just read on one of the Facebook motorhome pages that these still need time to clear your account. HELP!!!!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Why not pay on line that's what most of us do, you could do it at the dealers on your phone or even use the dealers computer.
No need to waste money on a draft.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Maybe left this a bit late, but has anyone ever paid for a new motorhome (£50,000) with a debit card? Hayes say this is ok, but our bank weren't sure. We are going in to the bank tomorrow to get a Bankers' Draft, but I have just read on one of the Facebook motorhome pages that these still need time to clear your account. HELP!!!!

We paid 5 equal instalments of £5k, Mon' - Fri' totalling £25k for ours with a debit card with no issues from the bank.

Upvote 0

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
A lot of online payments are limited to £10,000 per day so you'd need to check your limits if looking at paying this way

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2012
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T590
Exp
Paid for ours 6th this month by bank transfer had to arrange as their was a small charge for exceeding the max daily transfer. All went through as planned.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Diggerdi
Dec 23, 2015
Audenshaw
Funster No
MH
Pilote Pacific P650GJ
Exp
Over 6000 miles between 3 March to 26 September 2017.
Just phoned Hayes again and they assure me that a debit card payment will be fine. I'm such a worrier :unsure:

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We paid around that amount by debit card when we bought our new one. Trouble with paying by credit transfer is that you have to do it before you get to see the vehicle, so if anything is wrong with it you do not have any more cards to play. We just handed over our debit card after they had given us the handover presentation.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We paid the balance on the last two motorhomes we bought by debit card but it did entail a phone call to the bank from the dealer.

i think that there is some upper limit on a daily spend, although we had informed the bank ourselves before we went to collect them, so they were not completely in the dark.

Upvote 0

WSandME

Free Member
Aug 9, 2016
Wigan-ish
Funster No
MH
Hymer B660 Bestline
Exp
SInce 2006
I paid just over the amount your talking about by Debit Card. I had called in to my branch a couple of days before to transfer additional funds into the account which was to pay for the MH, and informed the staff there of my intention to use Dr Card to close the deal (I had already informed the dealer of the transfer method). Went through without a hitch.

(EDIT) I've just looked back at my statements and see that I paid in batches < £20,000 Can't remember why. Damn my failing memory!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I paid a large amount about £35000 on my card and the bank rang the dealer straight away and asked to speak to me ,they did not really ask a lot of details but let it go through no problems

Upvote 0
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Whatever you do to finalise the payments first make sure that you have paid at least £100 (one hundred) pounds with a credit card. This will ensure that you obtain the protection of section 75 of the Financial Services Act thus making the Credit Card company jointly and severally responsible for the full value of the Goods.

Your rights under Section 75

Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the credit card company is jointly and severally liable for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the retailer or trader.

This means it is just as responsible as the retailer or trader for the goods or service supplied, allowing you to also put your claim to the credit card company.

You don't have to reach a stalemate with the retailer or trader before you can contact your credit card provider - you can make a claim to both the retailer and credit card provider simultaneously, although you can't recover your losses from both.

This right is particularly useful if the retailer or trader has gone bust, or it doesn't respond to your letters or phone calls.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act also applies to foreign transactions as well as goods bought online, by telephone or mail order for delivery to the UK from overseas.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
LOL..... CONNED BY THE BANK I THINK !!! :whistle:

Debit card is fine, bought many vehicles with a debit card, sometimes get the odd security phone calls but not always.
Bet the bank charged you for the draft but your card would have been free. (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Whatever you do to finalise the payments first make sure that you have paid at least £100 (one hundred) pounds with a credit card. This will ensure that you obtain the protection of section 75 of the Financial Services Act thus making the Credit Card company jointly and severally responsible for the full value of the Goods.

Your rights under Section 75

Under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974, the credit card company is jointly and severally liable for any breach of contract or misrepresentation by the retailer or trader.

This means it is just as responsible as the retailer or trader for the goods or service supplied, allowing you to also put your claim to the credit card company.

You don't have to reach a stalemate with the retailer or trader before you can contact your credit card provider - you can make a claim to both the retailer and credit card provider simultaneously, although you can't recover your losses from both.

This right is particularly useful if the retailer or trader has gone bust, or it doesn't respond to your letters or phone calls.

Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act also applies to foreign transactions as well as goods bought online, by telephone or mail order for delivery to the UK from overseas.
Won't work in this case I am afraid. S75 of the CCA does not apply to any transaction whose whole value (not just the bit paid by credit card) is more than £30,000.

Upvote 0
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We've paid £30k on a debit card before - hubby went into the bank (Lloyds) a couple of days before to check with them that it wouldn't be an issue and they said it'd be fine.....and it was (y)

If you've checked with the dealers and they say it'll be fine then I'd trust them....they probably have more experience of taking payment for motorhomes than we have of paying out for them ;)

Upvote 0

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Lowdhams in Nottingham, charge for debit and credit cards. I couldnt pay by BACS has Nationwide have a 10k limit on them. Paid by CHAPS and cost me £30 i think.

Upvote 0

Jester

Funster
Jun 25, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class Hymer
Exp
Since 2004
Yes, having paid deposit on credit card at Peterborough show we paid the balance of well over 50K by debit card. .. but as @peterc10 says purchases over 30K are not covered by S75.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
There is a daily limit, last year when I got mine I had to go into the bank, in an office and after a few basic questions they did the transfer, did not take long and its about ensuring the safety of your money which in my case was over 50k . when I bought my first van in 2011 it was from a private seller and I needed to pay off their finance direct to their finance company Black Horse and pay them the remainder which was 30k plus, I rang the bank and informed them it was going to happen as I was going to use my debit card, made the payment to Black Horse on the phone no problem BUT the seller had a teminal for his business and it would not go through because of the amount, after lots phone calls etc the sellers said I could take the van home and get a transfer next day but we gave it one more go and it went through.
So no don't risk it go into the bank and arrange a transfer

Upvote 0
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
I paid for our Carthago with a debit card with just a phone call to the bank. I bought my merc with my Amex Centurion card £76k and was really chuffed until the salesman told me that the only other time he'd seen one was when a customer used it to pay £258k for a Maybach. Didn't feel so smug then.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I purchased my current van on a debit card at Brownhills Preston. I'd advised the bank and they said there would be no problems. What they hadn't counted on was me punching in the wrong pin....twice. The sales manager stopped me doing it a third time, I assured him I was putting in the right number, we stopped, restarted the transaction then I realised I was putting in the alarm code from home!

Upvote 0

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Paid for our first motorhome (2012) using a debit card.

£50k plus and was the biggest amount I have ever paid out using my debit card.

Never informed the bank and my debit card is not used by me too often and then for only a few quid.

I don't know who was more surprised, me or the dealer who said "they will phone one of us".

It was authorised in seconds.

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We did ours by electronic transfer at the bank, having made a prior appointment to go in and do it. My own on line banking facility only allows transactions up to £20k.

So I was able to convince the bank to waive the charge, as it was only down to their rules I couldn't do it from the comfort of my armchair and it was adding insult to injury to make me take a special trip to Leeds then charge me for the privilege!

Think the charge should have been £30, in the scheme of the purchase an insignificant sum but saving it paid for the celebratory take away curry that night!

Upvote 0

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
I paid the deposit of £2000 by credit card as then the balance when collecting on debit card.
Electronic transfers have a £10k upper limit so that was not an option and me paying in instalments before collection day was never going to happen.
I always use the debit card like this as there is no limit or delay as long as there are enough funds to cover it.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We paid our current van by bank transfer, we did it a few days before as we bought in Germany and didn't want any hiccups. The van before we paid the balance of just under £40k via debit card, I informed Santander beforehand and when the deal was going through they called to ask me security questions.

Upvote 0

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Yes used debit card twice on last 2 MH, no problem - however your bank WILL without a shadow of doubt intercept the transaction and want to speak to the account holder for proof of ID and passwords etc of account details.

Upvote 0

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
Yes, having paid deposit on credit card at Peterborough show we paid the balance of well over 50K by debit card. .. but as @peterc10 says purchases over 30K are not covered by S75.
Wish I had known this ,, last weekend paid £2000 deposit on credit card to get this protection. No real issue as I'm sure there will be nothing wrong with the van when it comes and I'll have many happy years th no leaks , nothing falling off and electrical gremlins :cry::sick::(

Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
We have bought both ours by debit card, phoned the bank the day before. Its amazing how quick the card takes payment, scary :eek:

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
When we paid for ours the bank advised setting up the payment by phone or in branch, I opted for phone.

I had to go through three separate phone security checks after setting it up and for a while the payment was shown as 'rejected' as opposed to 'suspended'. As a consequence my debit card (which I hadn't used for the payment) was blocked. It took the best part of two days for the payment to clear, and they forgot to unblock my card so that took another phone call.

I doubt whether I could have done all that on a debit card only without problems. I'd suggest you leave plenty of time before collection to pay.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back