Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2012
We may just be plain dim but what is it with paying for fuel at French petrol stations. ?There are very few with a manned kiosk where English cards and cash are taken but fuel prices are higher. The 24 hour automated machines apparently only take locally registered cards so our English ones don't work . Tried pre loaded , credit and debit cards
Anyone know the answer to getting fuel easily we are constantly left searching for a manned kiosk and paying more

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Think it depends on the card you are trying to use.

I use the post office credit card (no extra fees incurred with Euro transactions) and have had no problems using it anywhere - even on an automated machine which after using I noticed a sign on saying 'will not accept UK cards'.

Flamenca

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 21, 2013
Europe
Funster No
MH
Hymer 564
Exp
Since 2010
We may just be plain dim but what is it with paying for fuel at French petrol stations. ?There are very few with a manned kiosk where English cards and cash are taken but fuel prices are higher. The 24 hour automated machines apparently only take locally registered cards so our English ones don't work . Tried pre loaded , credit and debit cards
Anyone know the answer to getting fuel easily we are constantly left searching for a manned kiosk and paying more
I have used my UK Visa credit card at automated fuel pumps many times in France without problem. Just ignore all signs such as 'no UK cards'. I tried using my Spanish card once and the machine spat out the card so quickly I could not catch it before it landed on the ground :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just wait till a french man /woman arrives let them use their card and you pay them cash. works every time .

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Not sure what you are doing wrong but we have never had a card issue on self service pumps.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never had a problem with a card at a French filling station for the last 7 or 8 years. We always use 24/7 pumps much easier exit than via the kiosk. Just back from 3 weeks in France we have noticed more each year of the Hypermarkets & Supermarkets are refurbishing their filling station and they are card only no payment kiosk.
The last few years been using a Nationwide CC, before that various cards including Lloyds, Tesco, as said never had a problem, I have heard of pre-payment cards not working (I would never give anyone my money up front :)).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Must be your Norfolk Bank debit card ..;)

$_35.JPG

OP
OP
Pete&Sara

Pete&Sara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2012
Thanks folks we will keep trying but has spat out our Caxton fx , nationwide credit or debit cards and santander we are away for six months had no trouble using cards for fuel throughout Spain

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Was there not something on here before about automated pumps, where it deducts more then what you spend then credits it back a few days later. So if your Caxton card does not have enough money on it , then it rejects the card.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
We use unattended Auchan at calais when we go over in the evenings... Never had a card problem yet

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Halifax Clarity card and Nationwide Select Card have worked perfectly for me.
Over the past year or so I've noticed that an increasing number of machines in the supermarkets and at fuel pumps now switch to English when they detect my cards.
Never had the need for a pre-payment card.

OP
OP
Pete&Sara

Pete&Sara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2012
Was there not something on here before about automated pumps, where it deducts more then what you spend then credits it back a few days later. So if your Caxton card does not have enough money on it , then it rejects the card.
Loads of money on the Caxton

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Probably stating the bleeding obvious here, but I take it that the OP has had their cards authorised by their bank/building society in advance for use abroad?

It varies for us - some aires don't do foreign cards, and we occasionally get a card transaction refused, but having a Santander account is handy.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
On the caxton site it says...
"
Your prepaid card will not work at automated petrol stations
For security reasons your Caxton FX card will not work at automated petrol stations. We recommend that you avoid using them or you use an alternative card to settle the bill."

.. I've never had a caxton card..

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
only had a problem at one fuels station with my visa card, I had to use a debit card instead but that is the first time in nearly 10,000 miles around Europe.

Apr 26, 2014
Thornton Cleveleys
Funster No
MH
2004 Bessacarr E735
Exp
3 years
We've got a Fair Fx pre payment card and that won't work at the pumps. I just use normal debit card if I need to.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
When we go to France we aim to hit a large supermarket with fuel station Attached about 11 in the morning or 4 to 5 in the afternoon . We have found them manned at this time, lunchtimes there is nobody in the booth.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Used my HSBC visa card today for fuel at an unmanned French fuel station without problem. I believe Caxton/Fairfx won't work in the automated machines because the retailer requires an authorisation code to proceed with the transaction. Neither Caxton or Fairfx automatically issue these authorisation codes (afaik). If in doubt use a large supermarket with a cashier during non-lunchtime hours (if you can work out when that is:D).

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Probably stating the bleeding obvious here, but I take it that the OP has had their cards authorised by their bank/building society in advance for use abroad?

Why ? I made official complaints about them requesting this otherwise there was the possibility of being refused . If you are going to tell them when/where the cards are going to be used then you might as well paste all over the internet that the house is empty & to rob it !

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks folks we will keep trying but has spat out our Caxton fx , nationwide credit or debit cards and santander we are away for six months had no trouble using cards for fuel throughout Spain
Caxton FX specifically state that their cards will not work in either auto fuel pumps or tolls machines.

Jul 10, 2014
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 255
Exp
3 years
Arrived home last week from a month touring France. Every supermarket we went to including Carrefour SuperU and leClerc took our Santander credit card at the auto pumps. We paid once in cash at the kiosk. Hadn't been over for 5 years when nothing worked but this year no problems at all. We used cash at tolls only problem there was getting in and out to insert ticket then cash and collect change. A struggle for her indoors!

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We have used our Nationwide debit card in various supermarket fuel stations and tollbooths with no problems. The only thing we cannot use is our Fair FX card although it is accepted in the supermarkets for purchases .

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Think it depends on the card you are trying to use.

I use the post office credit card (no extra fees incurred with Euro transactions) and have had no problems using it anywhere - even on an automated machine which after using I noticed a sign on saying 'will not accept UK cards'.

Same as I use, no problems anywhere. Caxton for cash withdrawals.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Why ? I made official complaints about them requesting this otherwise there was the possibility of being refused . If you are going to tell them when/where the cards are going to be used then you might as well paste all over the internet that the house is empty & to rob it !

To the best of my knowledge only the bank knows they've authorised my card for foreign use. They don't put the details on Facebook. Secondly, you're assuming my house is empty when we travel abroad - it might not be. I am security conscious though - I never post on here that I'm abroad, I wait until after we've got back then say where we've been.

bhs

Free Member
Apr 16, 2015
Louth
Funster No
MH
b class
Exp
since 2006
Had Caxton card declined recently at automated filling station in france, went in to booth and card was aceepted, not very helpful, contacted caxton who told me there should be no problem with automated payments, clearly there is, post office CC it is then

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Used cards in both booth and automatic fill ups in France and never had problem. Mainly try to use cheap supermarkets rather than motorway services. Used Nationwide, Visa and even Amex without problem.

OP
OP
Pete&Sara

Pete&Sara

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2012