Paying For Fuel In France

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Pete&Sara, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Pete&Sara

Pete&Sara Read Only Funster

We may just be plain dim but what is it with paying for fuel at French petrol stations. ?There are very few with a manned kiosk where English cards and cash are taken but fuel prices are higher. The 24 hour automated machines apparently only take locally registered cards so our English ones don't work . Tried pre loaded , credit and debit cards
    Anyone know the answer to getting fuel easily we are constantly left searching for a manned kiosk and paying more

2. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Think it depends on the card you are trying to use.

I use the post office credit card (no extra fees incurred with Euro transactions) and have had no problems using it anywhere - even on an automated machine which after using I noticed a sign on saying 'will not accept UK cards'.

3. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I have used my UK Visa credit card at automated fuel pumps many times in France without problem. Just ignore all signs such as 'no UK cards'. I tried using my Spanish card once and the machine spat out the card so quickly I could not catch it before it landed on the ground :D

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just wait till a french man /woman arrives let them use their card and you pay them cash. works every time .

• Like Like x 1
  5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Not sure what you are doing wrong but we have never had a card issue on self service pumps.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Never had a problem with a card at a French filling station for the last 7 or 8 years. We always use 24/7 pumps much easier exit than via the kiosk. Just back from 3 weeks in France we have noticed more each year of the Hypermarkets & Supermarkets are refurbishing their filling station and they are card only no payment kiosk.
    The last few years been using a Nationwide CC, before that various cards including Lloyds, Tesco, as said never had a problem, I have heard of pre-payment cards not working (I would never give anyone my money up front :)).

• Like Like x 1
  7. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    Halifax credit card has worked every time for me during the last 6 weeks. It also works every time at peage barriers.

• Like Like x 2
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Must be your Norfolk Bank debit card ..;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  9. Pete&Sara

Thanks folks we will keep trying but has spat out our Caxton fx , nationwide credit or debit cards and santander we are away for six months had no trouble using cards for fuel throughout Spain

10. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

Was there not something on here before about automated pumps, where it deducts more then what you spend then credits it back a few days later. So if your Caxton card does not have enough money on it , then it rejects the card.

11. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

We use unattended Auchan at calais when we go over in the evenings... Never had a card problem yet

12. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

Halifax Clarity card and Nationwide Select Card have worked perfectly for me.
    Over the past year or so I've noticed that an increasing number of machines in the supermarkets and at fuel pumps now switch to English when they detect my cards.
    Never had the need for a pre-payment card.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pete&Sara

Loads of money on the Caxton

14. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Probably stating the bleeding obvious here, but I take it that the OP has had their cards authorised by their bank/building society in advance for use abroad?

It varies for us - some aires don't do foreign cards, and we occasionally get a card transaction refused, but having a Santander account is handy.

15. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

On the caxton site it says...
    "
    Your prepaid card will not work at automated petrol stations
    For security reasons your Caxton FX card will not work at automated petrol stations. We recommend that you avoid using them or you use an alternative card to settle the bill."

.. I've never had a caxton card..

16. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

only had a problem at one fuels station with my visa card, I had to use a debit card instead but that is the first time in nearly 10,000 miles around Europe.

17. Tom A

Tom A Funster

We've got a Fair Fx pre payment card and that won't work at the pumps. I just use normal debit card if I need to.

18. Ivory55

Ivory55 Funster

When we go to France we aim to hit a large supermarket with fuel station Attached about 11 in the morning or 4 to 5 in the afternoon . We have found them manned at this time, lunchtimes there is nobody in the booth.

19. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Used my HSBC visa card today for fuel at an unmanned French fuel station without problem. I believe Caxton/Fairfx won't work in the automated machines because the retailer requires an authorisation code to proceed with the transaction. Neither Caxton or Fairfx automatically issue these authorisation codes (afaik). If in doubt use a large supermarket with a cashier during non-lunchtime hours (if you can work out when that is:D).

• Like Like x 1
  20. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Deleted, double post.