Paying For And Importing Used From Germany? (1 Viewer)

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
So where and when are we having the van-warming party.... I'll bring two bottles of babycham just to show I'm not jealous...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Nitty gritty time:)

Are the headlights swithchable for right hand traffic? You will need to change the speedo to a mph one. Take a photo of speedo with all the ignition, lights on. And send email to lockwood engineering and they will match it. Fog light will need moving to tother side of van unless it has two.

You ste now ready to get VCA inspection at local MOT station.
(Ring around for best price, should be no more then £20 some try it on!)

How this letter of inspection MUST be written is in import pack that you have hopefully ordered?

Then all paperwork goes to VCA. ( to check van compliant with rhd traffic) when it's back send everything to DVLA.

And now the fun really begins....but your nearly there. Dontt make holiday plans until you get the plates!

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks Eddie. Will be on the case as soon as we are home. I think we can do the DVLA thing on line througb our Gateway account. I think there is an electronic version of the pack.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Got as far as Metz and just about squeezed into a very full Municiple site, on the banks of the Moselle. Not very well prepared for our first night, we had a finger buffet which consisted of pizza and salad, without cutlery!

The nextdoor neighbours are quite nice though, but very greedy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 140

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Got as far as Metz and just about squeezed into a very full Municiple site, on the banks of the Moselle. Not very well prepared for our first night, we had a finger buffet which consisted of pizza and salad, without cutlery!

Luv it,,, hope all is going ok especially as LHD , supper looks good, hope you thought of loo roll n a corkscrew , safe journey home xx

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie

Great choice to stop at a proper site (y) and what a great position too :), have a great nights sleep and safe onward journey ;)

Thanks for the update

Cheers Antony

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Sandra & Colin,

What a smasher of a MH. She's a beauty. (y)

We hope you have many happy years touring with her. :)

Safe journey home. (y)

Jock & Rita. :)

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Wow love your new van Sandra fantastic layout :) what layout does your hymer have ?
The Hymer has an L- shaped sofa, with fixed transfers bed at the back and the double drop down bed at the front.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Nitty gritty time:)

Are the headlights swithchable for right hand traffic? You will need to change the speedo to a mph one. Take a photo of speedo with all the ignition, lights on. And send email to lockwood engineering and they will match it. Fog light will need moving to tother side of van unless it has two.

You ste now ready to get VCA inspection at local MOT station.
(Ring around for best price, should be no more then £20 some try it on!)

How this letter of inspection MUST be written is in import pack that you have hopefully ordered?

Then all paperwork goes to VCA. ( to check van compliant with rhd traffic) when it's back send everything to DVLA.

And now the fun really begins....but your nearly there. Dontt make holiday plans until you get the plates!

The rules are different if the motorhome is over 10 years old. There is NO requirement for a VCA check & beam benders are fine for the MOT. No need for a letter of inspection as the MOT deams the motorhome road worthy for UK roads. To pass the mot the fog light does have to be on the RHS & have a look on ebay for an old (matching) speedo rather than go to Lockwoods as the MPH facia is an easy DIY job and they go cheap on ebay.

Thanks Antony

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
The rules are different if the motorhome is over 10 years old. There is NO requirement for a VCA check & beam benders are fine for the MOT. No need for a letter of inspection as the MOT deams the motorhome road worthy for UK roads. To pass the mot the fog light does have to be on the RHS & have a look on ebay for an old (matching) speedo rather than go to Lockwoods as the MPH facia is an easy DIY job and they go cheap on ebay.

Thanks Antony

Just like in the good old days for even new imports! As I said earlier don't know much re used.....

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
The 10 year old thing , I wonder if that is why ikonic seem to sell older vans . Is it easier and less paper work ?

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
The 10 year old thing , I wonder if that is why ikonic seem to sell older vans . Is it easier and less paper work ?

Really easy (y). If you don't need a Certificate of Conformity over half the questions can be left blank. It took me a while to register mine as I was waiting for ours to be over 10 years old. The DVLA were really helpful and even sent everything back as well as the cheque when I got a couple of things wrong. Once I gave them the correct info I got the V5 back within 7 days :) BTW the DVLA quoted me £220 for the VCA check which is why I waited.

Thanks Antony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Went to Lancing Commercial on the Lancing industrial estate with my new Hymer for the VCA Inspection charged me £12 . They also do Hab checks nd are Truma agents and also will be Dometic agents soon
Great company nice family run firm, highly recommend them.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The new van is not 10 years old until November so looks like we have to go down the same route as a new van. We have the CoC though and having read the VCL website it looks like it will cost £100 plus whatever the garage charges for the letter.

The headlights are switch able and so is the fog light at the back, leaving just the MPH/KPH change to be done.

Cannot thank all who have contributed to this thread enough, your combined guiding hand has been a welcome help and comfort in our lastest adventure. :notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2:
:thanks4:

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Can you not get an overlay for the speedo i know you can for motorbikes, cheap as well :)

IMO the cheapest way is to buy a second hand speedo Broken Link Removed and simply swop the MPH overlay with the KPH one. It's a very easy DIY job just make sure you take a photo of the speedo with engine off before you take it out. Then replace the dials in exactly the same position (y) The illumination is perfect with this as well.

Thanks Antony

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
IMO the cheapest way is to buy a second hand speedo Broken Link Removed and simply swop the MPH overlay with the KPH one. It's a very easy DIY job just make sure you take a photo of the speedo with engine off before you take it out. Then replace the dials in exactly the same position (y) The illumination is perfect with this as well.

Thanks Antony
Problem with that is the odometer will be be a much higher reading than your motorhome has done.
Also there are several different dial so have to make sure you have the right one.
Much eaiser to buy the correct dial from Lockwood and their dials have the kpm figures in white which are much easier to read.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back