Paying For And Importing Used From Germany? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
The plan is starting to come together.

The dealer has confirmed our proposed payment method is acceptable and the van will be able to be driven away as soon as the funds show in their account. He will providing us with temporary export plates which expire after 30 days, he says we can dump them or keep them as a souvenir. The plates also give us liability insurance until we reach the UK. He has also given us the VIN number to enable us to prime our insurance company before we go.

I have Izzy's favourite dog sitter lined up for a two day stay but I know they will look after longer if we get delayed.

Going to vac pack a couple of pillows to take through in the hand luggage so we can stop for a rest when we need too.

Anything else? Oh need to book the flights.

Weinsbergaman

Free Member
Feb 8, 2015
Wirral, North West England
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
I'm a newbie

The dealer has confirmed our proposed payment method is acceptable and the van will be able to be driven away as soon as the funds show in their account. He will providing us with temporary export plates which expire after 30 days, he says we can dump them or keep them as a souvenir. The plates also give us liability insurance until we reach the UK. He has also given us the VIN number to enable us to prime our insurance company before we go.

I have Izzy's favourite dog sitter lined up for a two day stay but I know they will look after longer if we get delayed.

Going to vac pack a couple of pillows to take through in the hand luggage so we can stop for a rest when we need too.

Might be a good idea to plot the return journey and book an appropriate site to stop over. Do not stop on the Autobahn or Autoroute services to sleep, one, there isn't much room once all the trucks have parked up and two, there are loads of dodgy peeps:mad: looking for a quick bag snatch or worse. We were woken during one of these stops with tapping on the side of our garage and now have scratches as a souvenir (Could've been worse). Luckily he scared off quite easily but you do feel quite vulnerable. Be safe & have a great trip home, Good Luck (y)

Cheers Antony

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Wow

Good luck in your adventure, im hoping to do this maybe next year.

Would you be good enough to post up all the nitty gritty of what happened etc or pm me if that is better for you.

Exciting ehh :D

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Wow

Good luck in your adventure, im hoping to do this maybe next year.

Would you be good enough to post up all the nitty gritty of what happened etc or pm me if that is better for you.

Exciting ehh :D
No problem, I will keep adding to this thread.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
@Judgemental knows a bit as well as @lennyhb
Currency broker would get best rate although all banks offer a good service although rate might be a tad lower.
First van we imported in 2008 used a bankers draft to a bit of haggling and got a good rate.
Last time 2014 bank offered a pathetic rate, used Easyfx.

@Judgemental, I should be so lucky, so far Bangkok & River Kwai.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

We pay for one suitcase on flight. And stuff it with a few essentials Sleeping bags, pillows, kettle, mugs etc....

last van we had a little mini tour on way back had about 4 nights:)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
Hope it goes well for you!

When we collected Udo, we flew across late, late Friday and stayed at a hotel, drove into the middle of nowhere to collect Udo (paid cash), drove in convoy back to the airport to return the hire car and then on toward Dortmund where I'd booked a Best Western hotel. It was November and cold and dark. With two children, we didn't fancy using Udo that first night and the hotel staff were really generous towards our children. Besides, we REALLY needed the sleep after a horrendously late Friday night and driving most of Saturday.

Sunday was another mad dash across mainland Europe to get to the Tunnel.

Anyway, my message is that you've a long time to use your new motorhome and it's never a bad thing to pamper yourselves occasionally with a nice hotel on what may be an exciting and rather busy trip to collect.

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
You can save a bit when using an exchange company like Easyfx.
Don't accept the online rate phone them up and have a haggle we got a rate half a cent better saved 200 quid.

That sounds like a good tip, will be calling them today. Lots of phone calls to make today, looks like it's going to be a busy few days.

We fly tomorrow from Birmingham to Zurich arriving at 11:30. The dealer is picking us up, then we have all afternoon to look at the van and hopefully do a deal. Getting just a tad excited now.:laughing::Smile:

Packing our hand luggage with a blanket and pillows all vac packed, change of undies and the phone number for ADAC (just in case).

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
van has to be at least 6 months old and covered 6000 miles not not be liable to UK VAT

seems to be some confusion re VAT. so here goes...
The above is true. 6 months and 6000 miles.

some dealer vans will be PX brought back in so VAT already paid, and advertised as such (no net price)

Some will be advertised as available either gross (vat paid) on net (VAT free). These can be vans registered to the business that VAT has not been paid on (ex hire - whatever..) as business not liable for collecting the VAT until its eventually sold

If its liable to UK Vat obviously you want it @ net price.

but if its not liable to UK Vat may as well save 1% and pay it in Germany.

The only way to know for certain is to ask about the particular van.

last point: some German dealers will allow you to export VAT free as long as you agree to send them proof from HMRC that VAT paid here.
Others will withhold VAT until they get the proof from you that it has been paid, then return it to you. Obviously you want a dealer that don't withhold (if buying new - nearly new)

Eddie

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
That sounds like a good tip, will be calling them today. Lots of phone calls to make today, looks like it's going to be a busy few days.

We fly tomorrow from Birmingham to Zurich arriving at 11:30. The dealer is picking us up, then we have all afternoon to look at the van and hopefully do a deal. Getting just a tad excited now.:laughing::Smile:

Packing our hand luggage with a blanket and pillows all vac packed, change of undies and the phone number for ADAC (just in case).

don't get to excited mind:)...keep your head screwed on and brain engaged and check the van out methodically. roof, underneath, and that everything works...... are they offering a warranty? what age is it?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
How would warranty work back in the UK ?
I was thinking that too. :unsure:

Sandra & Colin, good luck with the trip out and the MH purchase. I hope it exceeds your expectations, and that you are not disappointed. (y) I always try to keep in mind, that photos can be deceiving sometimes. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
warranty: depends on if dealer or manufacturer and attitude of manufacturers dealer network in UK.

dealer: you get estimate, email to dealer . they agree. send the bill and they repay you.

manufacturer: depends on which one. Hymer warranty seem to be no problem in the UK. some others will either have to visit a Euro say Belgian dealer of same brand and get work done there, easier to pop in when going on holiday. That's what I did when I had a coachbuilt

considering your saving tens of thousands of pounds in some cases...its not much to put in a little effort.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
to late to edit/add

I would spend first night local to dealer to check out everything working OK. As for (as someone else said) a mad dash back I think not..Your driving an expensive and new to you machine with 3rd party cover only. Dont travel during rush hour, drive slower then normal, keeping more distance between yourself and other traffic....just take it easy:)

make sure you get all the paperwork from dealer including COC

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
don't get to excited mind:)...keep your head screwed on and brain engaged and check the van out methodically. roof, underneath, and that everything works...... are they offering a warranty? what age is it?

I was thinking that too. :unsure:

Sandra & Colin, good luck with the trip out and the MH purchase. I hope it exceeds your expectations, and that you are not disappointed. (y) I always try to keep in mind, that photos can be deceiving sometimes. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

I know you are right guys, but I am getting very excited, but now feeling sad as I do the adverts to sell the Hymer. Colin is Mr Practical and will not be paying for anything he's not happy with.

I am not sure about the warranty but it will only be useful if it can be transferred to a UK dealer. To be honest Colin is unlikely to use a warranty unless it was really a major problem.

Violet1

Free Member
Jul 4, 2015
March, Cambs
Funster No
MH
semi-integrated
Exp
i'm a newbie
About to depart for Germany to collect new m/h, German dealer registering on export plates with 3rd party ins, vat is 19% in Germany . We are are lucky enough to have a relative with a Dutch bank account so transferred euros to them and then to dealer when ready to collect. Could also use a preloaded euro debit card from fair fx . Hope you love it when you see it

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
About to depart for Germany to collect new m/h, German dealer registering on export plates with 3rd party ins, vat is 19% in Germany . We are are lucky enough to have a relative with a Dutch bank account so transferred euros to them and then to dealer when ready to collect. Could also use a preloaded euro debit card from fair fx . Hope you love it when you see it
Exciting times. I did feel a bit jittery when I just posted all of our savings into the ethernet on it's way to Easy FX.

As you say the temp export plates will give us 30 days liability insurance. We have Safeguard primed ready to insure us once back in the UK, they did this on the VIN number. Phew, I think we have everything under control.

All the best with your new van, did you fly out to view it before hand or see one in the UK first?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Can i ask

Why cant you insure the MH fully comp on the vin number

I did on a motorbike years ago

OP
OP
Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Can i ask

Why cant you insure the MH fully comp on the vin number

I did on a motorbike years ago
As far as I understand it you can insure fully comp on the VIN number, that's what we have lined up anyway, but only once back in the UK, not while driving across Europe. That is what we have been told anyways.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back