Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I am wondering if 'Funsters' can give info on how your local bus companies accept payment for bus fares.

Living in the Greater London area I have a 'Freedom Pass' which gives me free travel on Buses, Trains and Tube. My wife doesn't qualify (too young) and tops up her Oyster Card but can also use 'Contactless Visa' which is very convenient.

When she went to pay cash once the driver didn't appear too pleased and we are wondering if 'Contactless Card Payments' are accepted where you live. The problem of having the right change can be a nuisance sometimes.

Rob

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Couldn't tell you I'm afraid. In the 20yrs we've been in Norfolk we've never actually been on a bus.:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Geriatric bus passes for us ::bigsmile:........

..... but I think the youngsters have to pay cash.

Us youngsters are ripped off by the bus charges. It is cheaper and much faster to take a taxi the 2 miles from our house to town than use the bus for 2 adults. I've the bus once in 16 years in our town and felt that I was being mugged verrrrrry sloooooooowly.

And I paid cash - lots of of it :(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have passes, which are used with a contactless reader here and in other places but not everywhere (smaller bus companies seem not to have the readers).

We paid cash in Wales last year and in Telford when using a bus before 9:30am.

I can't recall seeing anyone using a contactless debit/credit card on Tees-side.

Searching Google for <contactless payment bus fare> it appears that TfL is the only widespread user but that Stagecoach, Arriva and First are running pilots in different areas.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Here its cash or prepaid travel tickets,some available from the driver,when he has time! And of course the old fogies card-wonderful.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I caught the bus in to town to pick the car up and I was the only one paying for a ticket. The driver was not very happy as I only had a £10 note, went on about his change etc made to feel welcome

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Here it is also cash or travel card or pass.

I know a few local Bus drivers, they ultimately have the right to refuse to let you board if you do not have the right change.

They only carry a small float when they leave the Depot. A couple of people coming on with tenners would wipe just about that out.
The guys that I know normally carry a large bag of change (mainly £1 coins) of their own, which they will use if really needed.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
But I thought it was a bus Service . A service that gets subsidies from government or council to who we pay tax , but I might be wrong

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But I thought it was a bus Service . A service that gets subsidies from government or council to who we pay tax , but I might be wrong

The appropriate government pays for journeys undertaken using a bus pass which it has issued but as far as I am aware, the only subsidies as such are on particular services which local councils have decided to support as they would not otherwise run. Those tend to be journeys on lesser used routes and/or at less busy times of the day. Otherwise the bus company is simply selling its wares like any other business.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Cash here in rural Scotland, if you can find a bus. Just because there is a bus stop doesn't mean it's on a bus route :winky:.

Some companies require correct change.

Non-Scottish passes are not accepted. :cry:

But the drivers are very friendly and helpful as a rule.

mentaliss

Free Member
Nov 2, 2012
Lancing
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
I am wondering if 'Funsters' can give info on how your local bus companies accept payment for bus fares.

Living in the Greater London area I have a 'Freedom Pass' which gives me free travel on Buses, Trains and Tube. My wife doesn't qualify (too young) and tops up her Oyster Card but can also use 'Contactless Visa' which is very convenient.

When she went to pay cash once the driver didn't appear too pleased and we are wondering if 'Contactless Card Payments' are accepted where you live. The problem of having the right change can be a nuisance sometimes.

Rob

the 'grave yard shift' me and the miss'es have free bus passes (Stagecoach) place our pass on the reader and then try and find a seat with the rest of the old dears on there day out:roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
give it two more years and Scarbrough wont have a bus service.

7 local/town routes are to be cut to reduce costs.

And North yorks county council are looking to save 1.1 million on public transport by cutting concessionary fares

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
give it two more years and Scarbrough wont have a bus service.

7 local/town routes are to be cut to reduce costs.

And North yorks county council are looking to save 1.1 million on public transport by cutting concessionary fares

Sign of the times John. It's either that or increase council tax to pay the subsidies - and how many residents who prefer to use their cars rather than buses will agree to that?

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Bus pass or cash. BUT we don't get a bus ever within a mile of here!
AND as said above N Yorks are going to make it harder with cuts. Strange no cuts to number of Councillors or their allowances and expenses.
Cynic
Bernie:Angry:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
For us where we are that to get to a bus route to go into town we have to drive - that means we would have to find somewhere to park the car to catch the bus - the easiest place to park is either at home or in the town :ROFLMAO: so guess what we take the car into town and never use the bus. We do have bus passes and I use mine in London and ours are not contactless so show the driver - he nods and that's it :Eeek: Never had a problem and never used it outside London. Do hope to later this year though only had it 10 years :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
bus pass, prepay card or cash around Dorset and Hampshire. have also seen signs saying please have correct fare ready and no change given put up at bus stops

not that i have ridden on a bus for several years, but i do hear my daughter complaining about the cost of tickets etc

Trikimiki

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Sad Tale

We place our card on the drivers reader on top of the cash machine, then we can travel anywhere in Scotland, for FREE.
Those who are not in my age band, need to pay, First bus- Exact fare. McGills - change given.
Both have weekly and monthly tickets. Pop into local tobacconist to buy your weekly / monthly stuff.
That said I use my ticket to get to my part time work, then jump into a private Coach and drive all day, on private hires, then back on bus at night with bus pass, as Im tired out driving. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Really pleased about this thread, reminded me to check whether I was entitled to a bus pass. The rules are odd, you are allowed one if you would be eligible foir the state pension if you were a woman. Thus at 62 I can have a bus pass :Smile: but not a state pension till 65 :Sad:.

Mastercamper

Free Member
Dec 7, 2013
Northumberland Flag Flier
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
50 years campervanning
[HI]For us where we are that to get to a bus route to go into town we have to drive - that means we would have to find somewhere to park the car to catch the bus - the easiest place to park is either at home or in the town :ROFLMAO: so guess what we take the car into town and never use the bus.[/HI] We do have bus passes and I use mine in London and ours are not contactless so show the driver - he nods and that's it :Eeek: Never had a problem and never used it outside London. Do hope to later this year though only had it 10 years :thumb:

Same for us. 8 miles from home, to nearest bus route. .....Sheer bliss.::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We only use buses when we are away from home. But have only ever used cash, some bus companies won't even give you change and have a sign up saying "exact fare only, no change given) we saw this in Glasgow:cry:
I can't say I've noticed anyone every paying by credit/debit card, it would take too long.

We use the buses a lot when we go up to Edinburgh, but always have the cash ready (exact fare) and as I always hand over the fare I make sure I've got the correct amount to pop in the box. I once had an argument with a Polish driver who said I had got the fare wrong, yet no other bus driver had questioned me all week until then:Doh:

Roll on my bus pass coming soon........before that gets stopped:Doh:

Margaret

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We only use buses when we are away from home. But have only ever used cash, some bus companies won't even give you change and have a sign up saying "exact fare only, no change given) we saw this in Glasgow:cry:
I can't say I've noticed anyone every paying by credit/debit card, it would take too long.

We use the buses a lot when we go up to Edinburgh, but always have the cash ready (exact fare) and as I always hand over the fare I make sure I've got the correct amount to pop in the box. I once had an argument with a Polish driver who said I had got the fare wrong, yet no other bus driver had questioned me all week until then:Doh:

Roll on my bus pass coming soon........before that gets stopped:Doh:

Here in the London area buses have Card Readers that accept Oyster and Contactless Credit/Debit Cards, you just hold card near to reader - very quick, not slow. Bus Drivers often appear irked when paying cash as this slows them down.

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back