Paying balance before collection of new voyager (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have been asked to pay balance of price 7 days before I pick up new van, question is...if things are not completed to satisfaction, ie alarm fitted ,bike rack fitted and freezer put in as requested where will I stand if they are not done? I bought a new voyager at the NEC and the dealer says that everything will be done but they couldnt keep to the delivery date of end of march except to say we could have it on that date but the extra's we reqeuested couldnt be fitted as they were too busy!! we have put i big deposit on the van and wouldn't want to lose that and don't want to take the van in case they were "too busy" afterwards to fit them and mess us about even further, any idea's on this? any suggestions gratefully received!!!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I would only pay the balance on satisfactory final inspection and hand over
whilst the cash is in your bank YOU are in the driving seat so to speak:thumb:
The thought of a dealer going belly up a day or two after getting my cash frightens me to death, and it has happend far to many times:Doh:
Geo
ps They will try and convince you that you want the Motorhome more than they want your money
dont be fooled

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sounds like the usual thing......we've got your large deposit now f*** off and stop bothering us.

we've got better things to do than pamper to you. :Angry:

have a look in your purchase contract and see if it mentions balance to be paid by...date.

if it does your stuck with it
if it doesn't then tell them the balance will be paid on collection and not before.

if the dealer is too busy to take care of a new customer then what chance if a warranty claim arises.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

finby

Free Member
Oct 3, 2007
norfolk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
about 8
I agree with all the above - Unless otherwise stated in a written contract, I would only pay the balance upon satisfactory receipt and handover of the M/H.:thumb:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Have to agree with the above posters, I wouldnt hand any cash over till satisfactory completion of all the agreed modifications, if the dealer wants the rest of your money he wont be too busy to see to your order properly.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Whatever the contract says keep the money in your pocket till you are 100% satisfied.

If they start bleating on about not releasing the vehicle till cleared funds are in the account arrange to pay by cash on the day or by a CHAPS payment (same day transfer) from the bank.

Do NOT under any circumstances pay another penny till you are absolutely satisfied, i know its very exciting getting a new m/h but it will probably be the second most expensive purchase you will ever make so treat it like a business transaction and go through it with a fine toothed comb (twice!!!), do not accept it if you find anything you are not happy with, do not be moved or swayed to allow things to slip and do not hand over a single penny until the vehicle is as ordered and in perfect condition.

I know of a couple of people who allow a couple of days to do the handover after having bad experiences with dealers and paying up front before collection :Eeek:

Big Ed

Free Member
May 4, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We had a bad experiance with a dealer wanting full payment seven days before collection. Repairs that were promised not carried out.
I would recomend that you tell the dealer to get the van ready for delivery, then go and inspect it thorougly making sure there are no faults and everything has been completed. Then if you are satisfied pay the balance, if not tell them you will not complete the sale until all work has been carried out. Its not worth rushing to collect your new pride and joy untill your happy, you will only end going back and forth to get things put right.
:Angry::Angry::Angry:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Don't part with anything until you have the vehicle as you want - you could end up with the extras being fitted next year!

Insist that they fulfill the order or refund and compensate and you will go elsewhere.

If they are too busy to complete your order - you are too busy to pay them!:thumb:

Set the standard now and they won't mess with you!

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Don't part with anything until you have the vehicle as you want - you could end up with the extras being fitted next year!

Insist that they fulfill the order or refund and compensate and you will go elsewhere.

If they are too busy to complete your order - you are too busy to pay them!:thumb:

Set the standard now and they won't mess with you!

Agree totally with above.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
No way, Pedro!!

Pay on the day by debit card once you are happy with everything. The only possible reason for paying beforehand would be if you paid by cheque & they needed to clear it for fate & funds.

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks guys for all your comments, we certainly wont be paying them beforehand now, you have made made our minds, we are going to make sure that all is ok before, it's a lot of money as you say and maybe they wouldnt have done the things required till next year even!!:Smile: Lets see what they say when they dont get their money beforehand??

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
johngee.... what do you mean " fate and funds"?

johngee

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since July 2009
If you give someone a cheque it takes time to clear through the banking system.

'Cleared for fate' means that it is confirmed by the paying bank that there were sufficient funds in the payer's account to meet the cheque.

'Cleared for funds' means that it is confirmed by the payee's bank that they have received the money.

It therefore follows that even if you have paid by bankers draft or a building society cheque then the dealer may want confirmation that the payment has cleared and the money (cleared funds) is in their account.

This may take several days, hence the request that you pay the balance before collection. The dealer's bank may also make a charge to contact the paying bank to confirm payment.

However, if you pay by debit card, the payment is authorised there & then.

When we bought our van, the dealer suggested that we pay the balance due to them at the time of collection by debit card, and we were not asked to pay until after the handover and we were satisfied with everything.

Hope that makes sense.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
pay AFTER INSPECTION when you are completely satisfied with EVERYTHING by debit card so transfer any monies into debit card account beforehand, when they have your money some dealers are reluctant to do much after

DO NOT PAY IN FULL OR TAKE THE VAN AWAY AND PAY UNTIL YOU ARE HAPPY WITH IT as if you do you have accepted it and then rely on the dealers after sales to put it right

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
TAKE THIS WITH YOU :thumb:
terry

Attachments

• mh_inspection_checklist_938.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 43

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I would never ask a purchaser to pay before delivery and handover. It is not neccessary as long as the purchaser has an acceptable method of payment such as bankers draft or switch/debit card.

The van will have to be registered and taxed in your name if it is a new vehicle (you need to supply an insurance cover note normally)

Peter

TonyIsh UK

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Funster No
Next best thing to cash, is having the money sitting in your current account, and pay with a debit card. It would pay to advise the bank you are going to make a large debit transaction otherwise they will probably stop the paymnet to check it is genuine.

Now if you could just post your sort code, pin number and account number we could try have a "dummy" run. :thumb:

Rgds

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Pay with a debit card on the day you collect your motorhome AFTER you have thoroughly inspected it, including driving it (especially if its a Fiat!).

However, make sure you tell your bank/building society a few days in advance that you will be making a large payment by your debit card to whoever it is and preferably arrange for the collection to be done on a weekday rather than a Saturday so, if you do have problems, you can be sure of being able to get hold of someone to sort it out ... weekends can be much trickier! It is a good idea to have the phone number of who you can call at the bank in case you have a problem too.

When we bought our last motorhome we paid the balance in cash, the dealer was happy with this. He relayed a story to us of one chap who'd travelled to him all the way from Scotland on a Saturday (they were near Nottingham) and his debit transfer had failed as he'd used an incorrect pin number! He had to wait 48 hours before he could have another go as his bank refused to believe who he was so he had to wait untl the Monday morning to go into a branch to draw it out!

We offered to take cash when we collect ours next month, the dealer said he would prefer us to use the debit card method ... I don't think they want to have a large amount of cash on the premises!

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
I have numerous complaints & concerns about the dealer I used but to be fair I only paid a small deposit, the balance was paid only I was satisfied with the van. We even spent the night on the dealers forecourt & paid by building society cheque the following day.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Most people can't/won't accept large actual cash payments these days.

You could be money laundering. Seriously!

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
As far as im aware it is illegal to refuse a cash payment when offered. It is after all legal tender and the very stuff that makes the world go around.

Seems crazy especially with some of the large amounts involved but if your a trader and someone wants to buy your £30k motorhome with cash would you refuse??

No, me neither :winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
As far as im aware it is illegal to refuse a cash payment when offered. It is after all legal tender and the very stuff that makes the world go around.

Seems crazy especially with some of the large amounts involved but if your a trader and someone wants to buy your £30k motorhome with cash would you refuse??

No, me neither :winky:
:ROFLMAO: try paying 10k cash into your bank :Eeek::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
terry

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Same here.. Lots of cash in and out and paid cash for the MH ( as I had been paid cash for my old one and the other bits I had sold to fund it )

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Next best thing to cash, is having the money sitting in your current account, and pay with a debit card. It would pay to advise the bank you are going to make a large debit transaction otherwise they will probably stop the paymnet to check it is genuine.

Now if you could just post your sort code, pin number and account number we could try have a "dummy" run. :thumb:

Rgds

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:nice try tony!!!! eeerrr I think I might have forgotten the all those deatails lol..

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Suggest that it is a question of mutual trust and that you think you should pay the balance seven days AFTER collection to allow you to establish what has been missed in the PDI

Seems only fair to me! I have to say that over the years Companies that seem crap before I have paid them never seem to get any better once I have paid them.

Eddie

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
You need to be wary. After ten motorhomes and experiencing very bad after sales we now take out a big lump (low rate from dealer) finance for about a year.
This means the van isn't yours and you have a back up from the finance people. Most dealers require upfront payment, which I can understand but the after sales is still very bad. A lot of verbal rubbish is talked at the SELL and needs to be treated with very little belief.
The bast of luck.
Wiljoy

passionwagon

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
somewhere in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
lo profile
Exp
Pay with a debit card on the day you collect your motorhome AFTER you have thoroughly inspected it, including driving it (especially if its a Fiat!).

However, make sure you tell your bank/building society a few days in advance that you will be making a large payment by your debit card to whoever it is and preferably arrange for the collection to be done on a weekday rather than a Saturday so, if you do have problems, you can be sure of being able to get hold of someone to sort it out ... weekends can be much trickier! It is a good idea to have the phone number of who you can call at the bank in case you have a problem too.

When we bought our last motorhome we paid the balance in cash, the dealer was happy with this. He relayed a story to us of one chap who'd travelled to him all the way from Scotland on a Saturday (they were near Nottingham) and his debit transfer had failed as he'd used an incorrect pin number! He had to wait 48 hours before he could have another go as his bank refused to believe who he was so he had to wait untl the Monday morning to go into a branch to draw it out!

We offered to take cash when we collect ours next month, the dealer said he would prefer us to use the debit card method ... I don't think they want to have a large amount of cash on the premises!

:Cool:If the cash is over 10000 then the dealer has to complete a number of forms under the money laundering act. How does he know you are not supplying black money!:RollEyes:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
How exactly is filling in a couple of forms going to make the dealer any the wiser where the money has come from?? :Doh:

Its not the dealers fault if the guy buying the motorhome is a drug dealer is it?? It is a simple transaction you hand over the money and drive away with the vehicle :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back