PAYG wifi sim only.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Snowbird, May 25, 2014.

1. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Since 3 have decided to stop me plugging my mobile into my laptop for wifi am now without internet when travelling in the UK. We do little travelling here so I do not want a contract. I have an unlocked dongle and need a PAYG sim only for wifi for the odd occasion we are away from home in the UK. Which is the best for my needs, considering am out of the UK most of the time, so it would not be used that often.

2. laneside

laneside Funster

Buy a 3 pre-loaded sim off Ebay, usually last 90 days

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris69

Chris69 Read Only Funster

Take a look at Giffgaff gigabags.

I pay £5 which lasts a month and then top up as and when required. No need to top up every month if you are not using or out of country.

Uses O2 network.
    I find the £5 gigabag is plenty for me to check and write emails, check weather and web browsing.

Chris

• Like Like x 1
  4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

I also use a 3 sim , I get the 90 day 3gb for around £21 off e bay , only trouble is the period starts when first inserted so if only using for a week you lose the rest.
    For the odd few days out perhaps a Europasim is a better idea as only charged per day used.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

I would also recommend the Europasim card, you are charged only for the days you use it which is 3 euro or 2 euro in Italy for 500mb, you only need to use it once a year to keep it active and it is easy to top up online.
    You also get a few calls and texts each day as well.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

if you have a android phone go to the play store and download an app called FOXfi it will let you tether to your phone no problem by creating a wifi hotspot,3 will not know you are tethering:thumb:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Snowbird

Thats the problem Chris. I only use my phone to speak to people and my laptop for other apps. My phone is antique, but I understand it. I have always just plugged the phone into my laptop and used it like a dongle and just used my allowance. I always thought it would be to much trouble for 3 to write software to block such an old phone. Seems I was mistaken.

8. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Dongle

We use a 3 Dongle all the time in the UK as we did not want to be tied to a contract- I buy the 1gb sim cards from E Bay or Amazon usually between £5 and £7.
    We bought a Wi Fi booster for use in the van and usually manage to get free wi fi when on sites from a supermarket or local pub etc.

• Like Like x 1
  9. spitfire

spitfire Funster

3 pay as you go for us too . Is reasonable priced and suits as we are not in UK for that long. But as said once activated the month begins .

• Like Like x 1
  10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

now listen carefully.......you aint listening are you. :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snowbird

Thats the thing John. I have a 3 dongle and an unlocked dongle, so need a sim that is just dedicated to the internet. I already have a 3 phone contract, but dont use my phone for internet use. The sim would have to be on a PAYG as I dont want to be paying contract fees for the time am out of the UK.