Pay & Display etiquette (1 Viewer)

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
OK, you're in town looking for somewhere to park and you manage to find 2 spaces lengthways which don't have a lamppost or similar between them.

You park the MH using the 2 spaces - do you get 2 pay & display tickets? if yes, do you put them both on the windscreen or do you put one at the front and one on a rear/side window?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi its likely if you get checked by a jobsworth you will be done, irrespective of how many tickets you have bought.

Most parking regs. say you must park within the marked space.

Olley

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
got a ticket in boston lincs for parking in two bays one ticket.
have never done it since .:cry:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Put 2 tickets side by side in the usual place, but as mentioned, the way these jobsworths do things (fines for displaying the ticket upside down) be prepared for a possible fine and have to argue it.

maybe have a quick look on one of the motorhome parking websites and see if there's anything on the carpark you use... assuming you have mobile net access,

then print out/write a little note to stick above the tickets stating that so and so of the council says it's ok to park in 2 bays if 2 tickets are paid for.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Different councils have different rules. Some allow the use of two bays and some don't.

The parking inspectors will apply the rules that they have been told to. Those rules will have been made for reasons which may be valid and may not be valid.

What is certain is that the parking inspectors are only there to do a job and earn a living, just like everyone else, applying the rules of the particular job they do. They will not have made the rules, they are only applying them - just the same as anyone else doing a job.

Some people doing the job will be stricter than others - but that applies to any job. It could be they are just having an off day, like we all do from time to time.

Use of multiple bays is one of the questions I have asked of councils, so in the majority of cases, they have stated whether or not it is allowed in their answers. If it is unclear, use the parking contact details on the council web sites (most have them) to check.

Graham

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Most parking legislation states that where bays are marked out, the vehicle must be parked "wholly" within the markings, therefore even if you buy two tickets and park with the front of the vehicle in one bay and the back of the vehicle in the 2nd bay, you should expect to receive a ticket.

I would suggest however that if you email the council parking section in advance, within the district you are visiting, you may be able to obtain a dispensation to park across two bays providing two tickets are purchased and displayed. Do ensure you get this in writing and print off the email reply in case they delete it at their end !!!!

Alternatively ask for details on coach parking and get them to confirm in writing that you can use this as an alternative facility.

Good luck xxxx Hope this has been of some help.

ps. dont writing anything on the parking ticket as this could invalidate the ticket itself leave any messages clearly displayed on a separate piece of paper but put it right next to the ticket you purchase. This is because they normally photograph the front of the vehicle and your message if placed near the ticket is more likely to be captured in the photo

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Whats the difference between a Traffic Warden and an Onion?
.You cry when you cut up an onion:Smile:

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
I have taken to phoning the relevant highways dept of the council where I am going to check on parking, if they say "NO WAY " I ask what they advise and not had any problems so far.

[note time and date of call and name of who you speak to] in case of problems.

blue_sky

Free Member
Apr 26, 2009
Wales
Funster No
Exp
1year
On the rare occasion you actually find a motorhome parking space the chances are there's a car in it!

I wonder if they ever get a ticket?

And whist I'm at it, Any one had the inconsiderate motorist park along side or in front so that you no longer stand a chance of getting out!

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
blue sky

yes i am getting boxed in frequently, with hours of getting our first van went to windsor only to find boxed in front and rear, saved by rear camera.

again yesterday paked in corner of car park [grass area to marked spaces] in runneymead only to find some cars had parked facing the side of the car park blocking us again saved by the camera.

but getting fed up doing 20 point manovers to get out of tight spots.

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
On the rare occasion you actually find a motorhome parking space the chances are there's a car in it!

I wonder if they ever get a ticket?
There's a car park in Alnwick with dedicated motorhome spots. While we were parked there last year, a warden gave a ticket to the car parked in the motorhome spot next to us:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
And whist I'm at it, Any one had the inconsiderate motorist park along side or in front so that you no longer stand a chance of getting out!

Often..

On the rare occasion we visited a supermarket in France, we always tried to visit at a quiet time, but no matter how many free spaces there were, or how far away we parked, some ass**** would park right in front or behind making it impossible to get out .. I'm sure it's done on purpose :Angry:

Will be a lot less hassle now we have a toad :thumb:

Last edited:

gazznsam

Free Member
May 15, 2009
Eastwood, Notts
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
bloomin always,

abroad i found out why some cars do it... for the shade, had a family who had just parked right next to us moan like hell that we had the audacity to come back and move our motorhome, as they had only parked there to be in the shade the van provided.

but in england i can't figure out why, supermarket car parks we park as far away from the entrance as possible, most car drivers want to be as close to the entrance as they can to save walking,

the car park can be totally deserted at the far end, but when we come back, our motorhome has had babies :roflmto:

i do have a theory car drivers are doing it for security, the best theft deterrant is to park next to a vehicle with poorer security than your vehicle, or one that is a lot more nickable/has easily stolen items on display in the hope the theives go for the easier target.

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Parking

Hi

I have never parked in a pay and display parking area with the motorhome - well not in the UK anyway. At supermarkets, I usually straddle a couple of places, but as Jim says, there is always someone to box you in.

I think I would try to avoid a parking area with a pay system, as usually local rules state "park wholly within a bay" etc.

Russell

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
GET A BULLBAR FITTED!!.................being on PRIVATE ground (like morrisons) you have no need to even be insured!

I bet if you bumped the cars a few times they wouldn't block a motorhome in again............................these people are just animals.............so they have to learn by repitition.

I've done it lots of times when I had the C Class which had HUGE solid bumpers (front and rear)..............serves them right I say :thumb:

Boo

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
GET A BULLBAR FITTED!!.................being on PRIVATE ground (like morrisons) you have no need to even be insured!

I bet if you bumped the cars a few times they wouldn't block a motorhome in again............................these people are just animals.............so they have to learn by repitition.

I've done it lots of times when I had the C Class which had HUGE solid bumpers (front and rear)..............serves them right I say :thumb:

Boo
my sentiments exactly...id think twice before blocking someone in again.:Blush:

as far as insurance goes..........

yes, you do Boo.

anywhere that the general public have access to.....

even a privately owned carpark...ie: supermarkets, business parks, shopping malls.

United Kingdom
In 1930, the UK government introduced a law that required every person who used a vehicle on the road to have at least third party personal injury insurance. Today UK law is defined by Link Removed, which was last modified in 1991. The act requires that motorists either be insured, have a security, or have made a specified deposit (£500,000 as of 1991) with the Accountant General of the Supreme Court, against their liability for injuries to others (including passengers) and for damage to other persons' property resulting from use of a vehicle on a public road or in other public places.

But this is the best way to get insurance...and everyone is insured.

South Africa
South Africa allocates a percentage of the money from gasoline into the Road Accidents Fund, which goes towards compensating third parties in accidents.[3]

Last edited:

davetthedon

Free Member
Mar 25, 2009
Malvern, Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
GreatBig Bugger
Exp
Two thoughts.....

What is certain is that the parking inspectors are only there to do a job and earn a living, just like everyone else, applying the rules of the particular job they do. They will not have made the rules, they are only applying them - just the same as anyone else doing a job.

Graham

Isn't this the reasoning given at the Neuronburg Trials

and

in supermarket car parks we park as far away from the entrance as possible, most car drivers want to be as close to the entrance as they can to save walking,

the car park can be totally deserted at the far end, but when we come back, our motorhome has had babies :roflmto:

We do this, in France one year, an old fart actually hit us at 9.58 in the morning, we were on an empty car park, as far away as possible. His answer after hitting the rear skirt. (Gallic shrug) ITS ONLY PLASTIC.
Well seeing as it was only plastic, after he had departed for his bread and gallois, it was only air in his tyres after all wasn't it!!!
Don't get mad, get even. :thumb:

jhbgaiem

Free Member
Jan 28, 2008
Galapagar near Madrid, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Put 2 tickets side by side in the usual place, but as mentioned, the way these jobsworths do things (fines for displaying the ticket upside down) be prepared for a possible fine and have to argue it.

maybe have a quick look on one of the motorhome parking websites and see if there's anything on the carpark you use... assuming you have mobile net access,

then print out/write a little note to stick above the tickets stating that so and so of the council says it's ok to park in 2 bays if 2 tickets are paid for.

My Smart only takes up half a space. If I share a space with another Smart, do we put half a ticket in each car? Which way do we cut the ticket?:ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back