Paul's Self Build Boxer

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by Terry, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi all I am starting on Paul's Boxer van today because I cannot do anything on my own van so rather than sit on computer all day thought I would make a start while the sun is shining :DHere are the pics of the rotting banana as it has been nick named :LOL:Don't ask me why he bought it he just did :rolleyes: said he liked it :doh::whistle2:He now wants my favoured layout that he persuaded me not to have on my van :( P1030526.JPG P1030527.JPG P1030528.JPG P1030529.JPG P1030530.JPG P1030531.JPG
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  2. andy63

andy63 Funster

it will certainly stand out if he keeps that colour scheme lol... best of luck with it , will follow your progress..
    andy

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

Easy to find at a rally after a few drinks!! Definitely suits its name.

• Like Like x 2
  4. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

Thought you said " While the sun is out "? Looks like it is about to snow by the clouds .:whistle::D

5. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

very nice colour if you like it. but cant wait to see what you can do with this one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Borderland

Borderland Funster

Must be something wrong with the colour setting on my laptop !

• Like Like x 2
  7. Baycott

Baycott Funster

An ex City Link van by any chance??
    Will certainly stand out in a crowd !!!!
    I will look forward to following the build (y)

• Like Like x 1
  8. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

likeing the meercat(y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Terry

Terry Funster

Nope it came from a hire co based in Wales -3 ltr boxer drives superb even though it looks s---t :)I told him to buy something else but he said he liked it :whistle:and was going to leave it yellow and green but once all the stickers were off he has now decided it needs paint :LOL:As it stands at the moment it's going to go back to silver or a silver grey -of course all that could change :D--He has lined a bloke up who is going to fill and paint it for aprox £600 :eek::whistle:so this I am waiting to see -Then I THINK WE WILL BE SPRAYING IT OURSELVES :DBUT HEY HO you never know it may well be a passable paint job -just not expecting too much
    I managed to get some boards out and tools into the van then did all of ten mins work before I got a call saying are you busy ?can you just? so the van got left:Dat this rate it should be done some time next yr or the yr after :LOL:
    terry P1030532.JPG

• Like Like x 9
  10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I like the 2 tone effect, depending on his wild camping location he could park with either the green or yellow side showing to blend more into the background! (y)

• Like Like x 6
  11. Terry

Terry Funster

Boxer update -well my good intentions went astray and all I managed to do was get some tools into the van and cut 3 bits of insulation for the roof -all of 3/4 of an hour in total IE 1/2 hour tools and 15 mins cutting/sticking insulation to roof :DI had some tubes of instant stick grab and hold adhesive which I now know is neither use or ornament and does not do what it says it does :):eek::oops:Long story short I stuck it up and had to prop it in place only for it to fall off next day which was last Friday:(Crap is not the word I choose but it will do for on here --
    Last Friday Paul got off his work so we promptly stuck the offending insulation up with spray on contact adhesive along with 2 more bits and screwed a ceiling board up ready for finished board when the heavens opened up so we decided a trip up to Durham was in order to pick up Paul's choice of furniture boards and a few other goodies (light oak was chosen)
    We worked on the van last Saturday and Sunday while I travelled back and forth to Misterton meet come t time, and got home 10 .30 ish next morning to work on the van
    Worked on the van again today and so far it's gone really well (y)In the 3 days we have been doing it we have managed to fit in all the insulation into main part of van along with boarding it all out -fitted fresh water tank and outside filler in -most of the heating system and pipework along with 3 windows -finish ceiling boards and wall boards--I went and got a lot of gear mid week so it was ready to fit (y):)Pics below of what's been done so far.Forgot to add Paul got a lot of the wiring in place -said now he had practised on my van he could do his right :rolleyes::D
    terry

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
  12. Baycott

Baycott Funster

It's coming on................
    It must be so satisfying to be able to complete this kind of work.
    I am a reasonable DIYer but would never attempt such a project :notworthy2::notworthy2::notworthy2:

• Like Like x 5
  13. Terry

Terry Funster

Sunday's update we managed to get 3 .1/2 hrs on the van -started (about 12.30 pm,) to make cupboard fronts and bathroom walls but then the heavens opened up and soaked us both while we were running around trying to get tools away/out of rain at which point we called it a day--Cooker and fridge are simply sat there for measurements -not where they are going to live;):D
    terry P1030545.JPG P1030546.JPG

• Like Like x 4
  14. cruiser

starting to look great.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Terry

Terry Funster

Sat /Sunday's update -got a few more wires in place plus reversing camera video lead then did a few bits to cupboards / furniture /gas pipes in and a home for some batteries plus made the worktop ready to go into van.Cut and fitted for leccy/240v cable connection -
    The guy is picking it up Monday morning for paint :) should be interesting by Friday -Alas I won't see it while Monday (at Hartlepool )
    terry P1030563.JPG P1030546.JPG P1030563.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  16. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Taking shape, and looking good Terry. The blue knock in strip looks very modern. What colour is he going for, paint wise ?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Terry

Terry Funster

:D Blue is the new grey (y):LOL: Paint wise we have decided on Anthracite grey/silver ish -It does not look like much has altered but we got lot's done on Saturday and the gas locker/rear cupboards are all done along with the work top ready to be dropped in position (y)
    terry

• Like Like x 4
  18. cruiser

it will look as good as yours and @Ralph-n-Bev s. very soon.

19. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Mike,it's better than mine :giggle: after all like Paul keeps telling me we practised on mine so his is done right first time (y):LOL:plus I like his layout :LOL:
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  20. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

So......when will your next project be starting?

• Like Like x 1