Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Fabulous reading Jan, you should be writing travel books, your journey sound amazing:thumb: look forward to the next installment.

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
great pictures:thumb::thumb:
Happy travelling.
Bill and Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Great pictures guys wish you hadn't put Venice on though, Jans determined to go there on our next European trip now she's seen the pics. I've been trying to talk her out of going there as I've been once before, and don't want to go again as she's bound to want to spend a fortune there.:Eeek::thumb::thumb:

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
wi-fi connection

:helpsos:Hi Patrick/ any funsters
how do you manage to get free wi-fi connection from parking near someone?
we are parked in birmingham on an industrial estate and when i click on the icon "internet access" it brings up some companies near by but they all ask for a password, how do you know it or how do you connect to it?
thanks
val

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Val

the computer should tell you if the network is password protected or unsecure.
Pick a unsecure one and off you go.:thumb:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Patrick & Jan,

Rita and I have just read your travel blog, and viewed your album. Brilliant stuff. :thumb:

You are a pair of jammy bu##ers. :winky::winky::winky:

Safe travels,

Jock & Rita.

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Great pictures guys wish you hadn't put Venice on though, Jans determined to go there on our next European trip now she's seen the pics. I've been trying to talk her out of going there as I've been once before, and don't want to go again as she's bound to want to spend a fortune there.:Eeek::thumb::thumb:

I (Jan) had done Venice previously but Patrick hadnt, so it had to be done. As you may have read from our travel log we got to only see it by day as we were waylaid by the company of the young aussies we met. But Pat was happy enough with the day visit, he still needs to read up on his stuff as he is still wondering why someone would bother building a city in the sea :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
continuation of Mount Etna stay.

It was a blustery evening and the van was shaking through the night.

Friday 07/05/10 Pat went off to do his trek to the summit. He was gone about 3 hours and came back full of excitement about his journey. So while I fixed brunch he filled me in on his morning and all about the knowledge he had gained. He has gone to the summit of a volcano that stood 3350m high, looking down as though through a window of a aeroplane on the land below. It was like having the National Geographic channel on in the van. He said he was glad of his warm clothes as it was freezing up there. It was 9 in the morning and it was -15 degrees and windy as hell. He had brought back for me a piece of lava from the base of the 2002 crater. The crater apparently was not one individual one but five that opened up. He thoroughly enjoyed himself and said the trek was well worth the money he had paid.

We came down the mountain on the opposite side that we had gone up. This time taking in exactly how much damage that the volcano had caused on its way down and taking photos. Pat complimented the van on its journey up to the mountain and saying how well it had done doing that and other drives we had. Uh oh do you think we were tempting the Gods, looking back half an hour later I think we were.

Decided to get on the motor way and head South to Siracusa an English couple we had met had recommended it. Well we spent a few hours on the motorway literally that day. We had not been on it long about 10mins, in fact we were just at Catania. Pat had set the cruise control and was cruising along when smoke appeared from underneath the dash board. I initially thought Pat had dropped his fag there but then I realised he still had his cig in his hand. The smoke started to billow out and we pulled into the hard shoulder and turned the ignition off. Pat put it out with the electrical extinguisher. He got down under the floor of the dash burning his fingers in the process on the cruise control cable. There was no fire but lots of melted cables. Opened the bonnet to find the cause, the cruise control device had snapped away from its fixings and landed on the positive terminal of the battery. This had caused the cable to act like an electric fire bar. It had melted all the plastic coating and fused the wires from several other devices under the dashboard where they had touched this cable. Spent the next couple of hours stripping wires, separating them where they had melted together and taping them back up to isolate any other shorts. We agreed that the cause had been the amount of rough and pot holed roads we had been driving over had dislodged the control device. Everything is now working on the van thank god, apart from the cruise control. The smoke was so bad when it first happened that our initial thought was we were going to lose the van. The trip goes on. I have just been typing out all this as Pat dictated what had happened. My mind drifting back to the situation and remember still sitting in the passenger seat while Pat was putting the smoke out. And now he tells me he thought we were going to lose the van. What happened to women and children first in a situation like that, I was still reading my book in the passenger seat. So I created an emergency pack in case it should happen again. Put together the things I would like to get out of the van if it should go up while we were driving. So in the computer bag went our computer, video, camera, money, travel documents, picture of my daughter and my channel perfume. Got to get my priorities right of things we needed haven’t I.

Well Pat used the full extinguisher and that left a white powdery residue that managed to get all over the van. After a fair amount of cleaning it still manages to turn up again.

Got to Siracussi and decided it was not really for us. We couldn’t see anywhere to park and got out of there. Back on the motorway the way we had come. From Catania to Siracussi it seems like that full coast there is dominated by a big oil refinery. Made our way to Reposto hoping to settle overnight by a beach. By now it was getting late and its so hard to try and find somewhere when you do not have a clear view. Just before Reposto we took a turn down a road that brought us to a dead end, voila the beach. It was a dead end with another camper already there (French) so we stopped. A rocky beach but nether the less I got my beach.

Sat 08/05/10 Thought we would have another clean up of the white powder and get the ferry back to Italy.

So there we are on the motorway to Messina when Pat see’s a beach. So down we went meandering down the roads struggling in our endeavours to find a parking space. This beach could only be accessed by steep steps in a cliff, 150 to be precise because I counted them not long after. A Italian guy on a scooter stopped to let us know of a parking area. This turned out to be in the winding drive of his home, which he rented out to motor homes, caravans and even coaches. As we wanted to see more of the village we gladly paid our 15e for an overnight stay that consisted of no more than the parking space. However we were to get our own key for the gate for when we went out in the evening. It was a beautiful place, called Isla Le Bella and the driveway being called Pullman Camper being located near the entrance of a tunnel.

After lunch we made our way down those 150 steps to the beach. It was a pebbly beach with more Chinese women doing massages than actual bathers. There was a small island about 50 yards away accessed by a small causeway made of pebbles.

We had met an Irish couple on the beach that day who had told us of the other village on the cliff above where we were staying. We decided to venture up that evening to Taormina for our evening meal. A cable car went up to the village, one way being 2e and well worth it for the view it held. We stopped off at a Trattoria the Irish couple had recommended. We walked through the village where it was busy with the weekend Italians out. There were many churches and delightful shops, artists sketching passerby’s.

As the cable car closed at 8.30pm we had decided to take the steps down to where we were staying. However the Irish couple had failed to tell us exactly where these where? So after quite a while of walking and getting no where, we hailed a taxi. 15e to the bottom seemed quite a bargain when your feet are sore and the mosquitos have been chomping again.

Sunday 09/05/10 Off we went on our way to Messina for the ferry and this time we got there as planned. We came off the ferry and headed up the coast with Melito Di Porto Salvo entered in our sat nav. But once again we spotted a beach from the highway and made our way down to it. Saline Toniche, a small beach of shingle and pebbles. We parked a few yards away from the beach next to a shower pipe. Now this came in handy I was able to wash through some of our dirty clothes that had been mounting up.

Monday 10/05/10 While I sunbathed on the beach Patrick washed the van…..yet again! Then late afternoon we decided to once again move on. We made our way through the Aspromonte Mountains and pulled over on a layby as evening came.

Tuesday 11/05/10 We carried on through the Mountains which are a National Park. Then we made our way down with our intention now of hitting the motorway as we make our way back up north.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi
Look forward to reading more sounds as if your having a great time and not even a little fire could stop you :ROFLMAO:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Patrick & Jan,

Unlucky about the "fire" situation, but it does demonstrate to others, just how easy these situations can arise. Fortunately, Patrick was able to prevent it from developing further. Well done that man. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

All the best,

Jock & Rita.

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Tuesday 11/05/10 We carried on through the Mountains which are a National Park. Then we made our way down with our intention now of hitting the motorway as we make our way back up north.

Things we have learnt on our trip so far:-

The beeping of horns

To acknowledge thanks, to indicate overtaking you, or to let oncoming traffic know you are coming round a tight corner

Road signs,

Ralatere is not a place but a sign meaning sharp bend I think…oh dear. Also for Pat not to take my word on road signs when I am not wearing my glasses. This was after I told Pat that we could access the road in front of us. That is couldn’t be so narrow as cars towed their boats through it. Actually it was meaning that if you park their you will be towed away. But as we were by a Marina it was an easy enough mistake to make on my behalf.

Roads

It does not always mean that motorway roads are in the best of conditions. We have been on some high mountain passes that have been in a better state than the motorways have been. Some of the motorways have been real bone rattlers while the national roads have enough potholes to get your crockery jingling. And even your cruise control lol

Sat nav

Not to trust the sat nav. When it directs you somewhere do not assume you can follow the directions without finding yourself stuck on a one lane road with a small arch in front.

Diesel

Well since leaving the UK this has been our verson of I SPY noting the price of the diesel in the garages. Small self service garages prove to be the cheapest. But on one of road the price can vary between 10 cents.

Water

We have managed to get water when we have been wild camping. Don’t be tempted to get it from garages where they have a carwash as usually the water is recycled. When you hit the mountains it is always handy to have either a hose that will connect to a pipe or some empty bottles that you can fill up with.

Internet

As said in the travel log you need to be a national before you can use the McDonalds wifi. You can buy a sim from most supermarkets and at the TIM shops. You can get them for 2 rates and if you buy it from a TIM shop they actually configure it for you.

Well we got a few miles under our belt and stopped off once again at Solerno Port. A car park on the edge of the beach where wagon drivers use to sleep over waiting on their designated ship for picking up or unloading.

Wednesday 12/05/10 Got back on the motorway again, trying to get back up North to meet up with the Motorhomefun travellers. Weather has become overcast. Came off at Ostia nr Rome and parked amidst a few other campers at a parking space.

Thursday 13/05/10 Decided to give the beach a miss the weather is not picking up and seems to be getting worse. Carried on up on the pay toll motorways. We have seen the signs on the motorways for motorhomes that have the facility for water and dumping. As we have been using the national roads up until now we have only just come across this. The clouds are getting darker and rain is threatening. We are blaming the Brits from motorhomefun who have brought the English weather over with them. A few accidents on the motorway force our hand for pulling over for the night. Stopped off near Barbernio di Mugello after seeing a glimpse of blue on the map located close to it. The blue turned out to be a reservoir but there was no access down to it. We had noticed a lot of wagon drivers turning off behind a hotel on our way. So we headed back and parked up with the wagon drivers. What could be more safer than that. Parked up, settled and showered we went off for a delightful meal.

Friday 14/05/10 By 7.30am we are the only people left on this car park, all the wagon drivers have left. The rain had started last night and had continued. Morning brought us spectacular thunder and lighting and it was still warm.

Got on the motorway again and after many stops for either refreshments or fuel we eventually got to Peschiera on Lake Garda about 4 in the afternoon.

We hadn’t booked and fortunately we were found a place on site. Met up with Hilldweller, Brisey, Billkce, TheonlySue, StagingLady and a few others.

Lovely camp with chalets, towed caravans and tents. Has restaurant shop swimming pool and washing machines. Back to the land of the living after all our wild camping. Quite a few of us went out for our evening meal to a restaurant round the corner where pasta and wine was had in copious amounts.

Saturday 15/05/10 Weather is still not too good, rain is still coming down. Went for a walk around the town and looked at the shops.

BBQ in the evening at Billkce’s van, they have a good spot, they must have slipped the owners a few quid. Once again good food and drink and the evening went well.

Sunday 16/05/10 Weather is starting to pick up a bit today, forecast assures us that we will get the sunshine back tomorrow. Got a fair bit of washing done and out on the line today revelling in the fact of using unlimited hot water only to be told about the fantastic industrial size washing machine that was located right behind our van. Life has come to a standstill the Grand Prix at Monaco is on the tv. Myself and a few of the women decided to use the site swimming pool. You need a swim hat to be able to go in the pool so after managing to buy one during the siesta time I set off for the pool. Water in the pool was freezing so after a quick dip in and out I was done.

We all seemed to have a quiet night in charging our batteries for the following day.

Monday 17/05/10 Indeed the sun is out today.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Sunny Verona

Hi All

The team is at Lake Garda & it is so hot....

Great site, great crowd. Well done Hilldweller.

No volcanos here

Cheers

Billkce & Carole:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi All

The team is at Lake Garda & it is so hot....

Great site, great crowd. Well done Hilldweller.

No volcanos here

Cheers

Billkce & Carole:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

no volcanos but a lot of hot air hahahaha:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Patrick

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi To everyone, Yes! we are back home safe and well.

We lost our Internet when we left Italy. We have the last installement of our blog to upload and will get it done in the next few days.

We are now planning a 6 month trip now, We have loved every bit of our 6 weeks, even the problems were only blips in a wonderfull trip.:thumb:

Thanks to every body who has kept up with our travels and enjoyed it along with us both.

Patrick:thumb:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Glad your home safe i enjoied reading your blog and look forward to next instalment.

Gerry

coolasluck

Free Member
May 16, 2010
Funster No
Hi To everyone, Yes! we are back home safe and well.

We lost our Internet when we left Italy. We have the last installement of our blog to upload and will get it done in the next few days.

We are now planning a 6 month trip now, We have loved every bit of our 6 weeks, even the problems were only blips in a wonderfull trip.:thumb:

Thanks to every body who has kept up with our travels and enjoyed it along with us both.

Patrick:thumb:

Hi guys thanks very much for taking the time to do your blog,we very much enjoyed the read.Your next trip of 6 months,it would appear you are very much addicted::bigsmile:
Pleased you had a great time.:thumb:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Pat & Jan

Glad to hear that you are back at home safe and sound. It was a pleasure to meet you both at Garda, we had great FUN at your party. We look forward to the next time.
Regards
Brian & Pam

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back