Patch Tuesday Alert

Discussion in 'Computers' started by andycotterell, Oct 13, 2009.

1. andycotterell

andycotterell Read Only Funster

Microsoft is expected to release some major updates for Windows and associated tools today, so it's a good idea to either enable automatic updates or go to the Microsoft updates page and download them manually.

For a summary of the impact, see here:
    Monster Patch Tuesday on tap: 13 bulletins, 34 vulnerabilities | Zero Day | ZDNet.com

For anyone not familiar with how this works; once a months Microsoft announces the new vulnerabilities that it has discovered and then issues patches to address them. Various people who don't have our collective best interests at heart study these bulletins and use the information to generate new malware to exploit the vulnerabilities. This means that the risk of malware infection increases significantly following these announcements so it's safest to apply the updates straight away.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Isn't that strange - I was certain you were going to say "turn OFF automatic updates".

I always let others try them first :Smile: so thank you for getting others to try them first.

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I was about to say the reason you dont get Malaware attacks after a patch download is because yer PC wont usualy fire up:Doh:
    Bill gates outlook is "If it aint broke fix it till it is":Rofl1::Rofl1: