Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Anyone use a Password manager and how do they work?
They don't seem safe to me, some-one having access to your passwords, I have so many to remember these days, I daren't write them down, good job I have a good memory but I wonder how oldies manage to remember, this is the age of the internet and I do lots of stuff on it and have lots of different passwords.:RollEyes:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Roboform is easily the best password manager on the planet, I don't know what would do without it. No matter what cumputer or browser I am using Roboform securely delivers my password. :thumb: http://www.roboform.com/

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone use a Password manager and how do they work?
They don't seem safe to me, some-one having access to your passwords, I have so many to remember these days, I daren't write them down, good job I have a good memory but I wonder how oldies manage to remember, this is the age of the internet and I do lots of stuff on it and have lots of different passwords.:RollEyes:

I have a program ewallet from illium software that stores encrypted passwords on my PC and duplicates them on my phone. Well worth the money.

I have 2 pages of unimportant passwords in a word doc, will they find it :)

PS:

Link Removed

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
If you can remember a lot of passwords.... they are not strong.

Karl posted a thread on this topic with a good link ..

Link Removed

Good read that, that's what prompted me to get a password manager, seeing as they are easy to crack, have put a lot of different words and phrases and numbers into my passwords with upper and lower case so I don't think they would get cracked but after reading Troy's blog I decided to make them safer.:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Roboform is easily the best password manager on the planet, I don't know what would do without it. No matter what cumputer or browser I am using Roboform securely delivers my password. :thumb: http://www.roboform.com/

I have downloaded lite but not sure how it works yet:Doh::RollEyes:

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I wonder how oldies manage to remember, .:RollEyes:

Well now ::bigsmile: I use a variation on one password for most things,and it's written down. If you found it in my home,what would you make of E.....1. ? Not a great deal i would imagine.
Bear this in mind-if someone really want's to break into your house-they will.It's the same with computers.
Your IP addy is on every site you visit and could lead a hacker to your machine.There is a plethera of password seeking software available for the hacker to use-or they can write their own.
Nothing is 100% secure-all you can do is try to make it difficult.
Last week ÂŁ80 was taken out of my current account for a transaction with Vodaphone that I didn't make-Visa Debit refunded it without question.
Vodaphone transactions are notorious for compromising your security-that's life I'm afraid.
Life is too short to worry unduly about this stuff.

Mike

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have just downloaded roboform but had a thought, surely it must make it easier to crack if you only need one password to access roboform, the hacker only needs to know one now instead of numerous passwords that I already have?

If you get into roboform which you can see on start up of the pc you can get into all the stored sites you already use without the need to crack all the existing password?

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
The thing with passwords is that you only need one but it needs to be a really good one. Believe it or not the most common password in use today is "password" and the second is "123456". It would take about a second for password hacking software to find a 5 letter or letter/number password, regardless of how quirky you made it. An 11 letter password would take the same software nearly 1000 years to crack. "howsecureismypassword.net" will tell you how long it would take to crack your password.
Use something you can remember but isn't obvious to anyone else. It could be a combination of names or numbers that means something to you but no one else would guess, just make it long.

Good article in the Indy

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...atures/how-safe-is-your-password-2316963.html

Keep smiling it may never happen:thumb::thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
That is very true, so make sure that your roboform password is a good one:thumb:

Mar 29, 2010
Hebden Bridge
Funster No
MH
Moto Trek Xcite EB
Exp
Since Sept 2011
Just downloaded it, checked password on howsecure.........net and it says it will take 403 thousand years to crack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
hope i don't get altziemers or become dislexic:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Write your passwords down.

People tend to use easy to crack passwords because they can't remember what they are if they use good passwords.

If you allow yourself to write them down then you have no excuse for not using hard to crack passwords.

To crack your written down passwords the hacker needs to hack past your front door, hack into the right room, right drawer, right notepad...

...far harder to crack than something stored on your PC ::bigsmile:

AND if you allow yourself to write them down you will stop using the same password on FUN as you do on ebay.

(You know who you are....but the question is...do I :winky::ROFLMAO:)

Bryan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back