Password Generators (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Anyone use one? How do you remember passwords, and if they are stored on your computor what happens if it goes tits up, or you are on another one like at work?

Ian

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
a book

At home we have a book.. over the years we have had to go from a small note pad to a spiral pad .. the number of passwords has increased and increased.

ebay
paypal
mhf
bank account 1
bank account 2
vodafone 1
vodafone 2
apple i.d
i cloud
mac
bt
gmail 1
gmail 2
sues ebay
code for warners to book shows
aol
caxton fx euro
caxton fx usa
all collection
hp printer
bbc inlayer
dell computer
second hp printer
amazon

plus another 31...

life is not easy having all this different passwords and codes.. if I ever lose the book and am in deep Sh&t

Bob

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I use KeyPass

As a backup, I print a copy of the passwords to a usb stick , also keep a copy on Playbook

KeePass is a free open source password manager, which helps you to manage your passwords in a secure way. You can put all your passwords in one database, which is locked with one master key or a key file. So you only have to remember one single master password or select the key file to unlock the whole database. The databases are encrypted using the best and most secure encryption algorithms currently known (AES and Twofish). For more information, see the features page.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
I have two systems:

One is to use various combinations of the registration numbers of my dad's old cars. That gives me word-free alpha-numeric combinations that I can readily remember, and can safely write "hints" for (ie cortina, morris minor, etc.)

The other is to use the same method for all sites, by scrambling the site's name in the same way every time. That way, you can only forget the password if you forget your scrambling system (not sure if I've described that clearly!)

Steve :Smile:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
never got my head around keypass but i use roboform on Jims suggestion.
Never have to remember passwords, great tool but have to remember the initial password, make it real hard though, I use a phrase with all the first letters from that phrase and a lot of numbers after so that wouldn't be guessed and I will remember that one.
Oh and a few capital letters mixed in.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Roboform is the dogs. Try the free demo. It keeps all of my passwords for almost every site I use and those passwords are available to me anywhere on any machine on any browser. Love it, it saves me time and more every day. http://www.roboform.com/

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I use password safe to store passwords. It has a generator, but I never use it preferring to make my own up.

The best way is to make up a phrase (sometimes daft ones are easiest to remember) and use the first letter of each word and include a numbers in said phrase. Also use a random capitals. You can further enhance it so you only have to remember one phrase for everything you access by adding additional letters for that site.

So for example for this site:

mFmhJl39sotfb

mFmhJl39sotfb = my hamster Johnny likes 39 slices of toast for breakfast
mFmhJl39sotfb = motorhome Fun

And reused for Hotmail for example:

hMmhJl39sotfb

hMmhJl39sotfb = my hamster Johnny likes 39 slices of toast for breakfast
hMmhJl39sotfb = hot Mail

NB: this is are not my passwords for MHF and hotmail. :winky:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
At home we have a book.. over the years we have had to go from a small note pad to a spiral pad .. the number of passwords has increased and increased.

ebay
paypal
mhf
bank account 1
bank account 2
vodafone 1
vodafone 2
apple i.d
i cloud
mac
bt
gmail 1
gmail 2
sues ebay
code for warners to book shows
aol
caxton fx euro
caxton fx usa
all collection
hp printer
bbc inlayer
dell computer
second hp printer
amazon

plus another 31...

life is not easy having all this different passwords and codes.. if I ever lose the book and am in deep Sh&t

Bob

Bob you forgot to put the passwords next to the different places !

barry

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Roboform is the dogs. Try the free demo. It keeps all of my passwords for almost every site I use and those passwords are available to me anywhere on any machine on any browser. Love it, it saves me time and more every day. http://www.roboform.com/

That's a paid service isn't it Jim?

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Yes its paid for. I forget how much, $30 I think. It's so useful to me, if I had it taken off me today and they upped the price to $120 I's still buy another copy:Smile:

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
What do you have to do if you use another computor Jim? Is it just a case of logging onto robo or do you have to download a setup program.

Ian

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
What do you have to do if you use another computor Jim? Is it just a case of logging onto robo or do you have to download a setup program.

Ian

I have it installed on windows and macs, it works with most browsers, I have it on my phone and tablet too. Means I just have to remember one very good password, thereafter the program will fill stuff for you. Then you can use it like a bookmark system. Ie choose the site, it takes you there and your logged in in a nanosecond. It can generate passwords, and you can make them as long and secure as you like, it does not matter because you are never going to need to type it.

You don't have to pay. Download the trial. (The roboform2go version is best) log into a few sites, it will remember your passwords, then use it for a few days and see how useful it is. :thumb: http://www.roboform.com/

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
so what happens if like me

I have it installed on windows and macs, it works with most browsers, I have it on my phone and tablet too. Means I just have to remember one very good password, thereafter the program will fill stuff for you. Then you can use it like a bookmark system. Ie choose the site, it takes you there and your logged in in a nanosecond. It can generate passwords, and you can make them as long and secure as you like, it does not matter because you are never going to need to type it.

You don't have to pay. Download the trial. (The roboform2go version is best) log into a few sites, it will remember your passwords, then use it for a few days and see how useful it is. :thumb: http://www.roboform.com/

Jim what happens with all the dozens of passwords I have in my book.. have I got to copy them across one by one?

Bob

cbrookson

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
With Lastpass as you use them it will ask if you want to remember them .... simple.

I had a long list of passwords like you, and for the last year have been adding them slowly. Obviously the most used ones get added first (like Motorhomefun :Smile:)

Cheers

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Don't think this is completely off thread, but I couldn't believe it when I found out recently that around 11% of people use 1234 for their PIN! :Eeek:

The second most common was 1111, followed if memory serves by 2222 and 0000! Other quadruplets are also well up there, as are vertical keyboard runs (2580) and similar. :RollEyes:

It would appear that thieves don't need to be master code crackers to get some people's cash once they've stolen the card...

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have it installed on windows and macs, it works with most browsers,[HI] I have it on my phone and tablet too[/HI]. Means I just have to remember one very good password, thereafter the program will fill stuff for you. Then you can use it like a bookmark system. Ie choose the site, it takes you there and your logged in in a nanosecond. It can generate passwords, and you can make them as long and secure as you like, it does not matter because you are never going to need to type it.

Hi Jim

I'm trying out Roboform and so far very impressed.. :thumb:

my question, did you get it to work on Playbook ?

EDIT.. I have it on the BB phone but can't find it for Playbook

cheers

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
no matter how supposedly secure, any online storage of passwords can be intercepted by some simple malicious code on your computer piggybacking your genuine use. Nothing is 100% secure. data logging cookies abound. It beats me just how trusting you lot are:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Mind you those same programs work if you are using online storage or not.:Doh: I have the passwords tattooed all over my body just in case I forget myself:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Jim

I'm trying out Roboform and so far very impressed.. :thumb:

my question, did you get it to work on Playbook ?

EDIT.. I have it on the BB phone but can't find it for Playbook

cheers

Hi Jim, I've not thought of installing it on Playbook, the kids all remember their passwords, it's me with the head like a sieve:Smile: The Platforms are extensive so I'm sure it will work on the playbook http://www.roboform.com/platforms/overview

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
How efficient are Password Finder programmes ?
If they are as efficient as they say-why do we bother with all these different passwords ?
In 20 yrs my passwords have been compromised twice,and e-mails were sent out in my name.
I changed passwords-for a week or so,then went back to the old ones-no probs.
arent we a tads paranoid about this ?
Mike

magsinfrance

Free Member
Jul 16, 2010
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Hobby
Exp
Since 1981
Move to rural France, never lock your front door or your car, use the same password for everything, print it out and stick it to the front of your PC and wooooooops:Blush:Is this not you are supposed to do???
Maggie

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim, I've not thought of installing it on Playbook, the kids all remember their passwords, it's me with the head like a sieve:Smile: The Platforms are extensive so I'm sure it will work on the playbook http://www.roboform.com/platforms/overview

I looked at that earlier Jim , no mention of support for Playbook, also searched the PB Apps store and searched Crackberry for a solution .. without success.. If I find a solution will post on this thread..

cheers

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Passwords

Due to increasing forgetfulness I use the same password.
I can put in anything and the computer reminds me with:
Your password is "INCORRECT"

Sorry, couldn't resist it...............

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Don't think this is completely off thread, but I couldn't believe it when I found out recently that around 11% of people use 1234 for their PIN! :Eeek:

The second most common was 1111, followed if memory serves by 2222 and 0000! Other quadruplets are also well up there, as are vertical keyboard runs (2580) and similar. :RollEyes:

It would appear that thieves don't need to be master code crackers to get some people's cash once they've stolen the card...

Interesting..

The above was discussed at a meeting I attended a long time ago and it was agreed by by my then employers at that time that multiples would not be allowed and we took steps to prevent them from being used and that included 1234 and the reverse 4321.

At the same meeting I had an argument with an ex copper (now a security manager) who stated that there were MILLIONS of combinations for PIN, I disagreed and said that was wrong, the actual number is 4 to the power of 10, so the max number is 9999 (minus the numbers we had barred).. He still disagreed and eventually I asked him to explain, he said you could use 1467 and you can reverse the numbers 7641. I pointed out that that's still within the 4 to the power of 10. He walked away from that meeting still convinced that there were millions of numbers..

Over the years, we had several Password management tools and they would force the passwords to be changed every 28 days, the policy was so tough that you were not allowed to use the same character in the same position withing a 13 months period. That made it hard. It increased the number of requests to have the passwords reset to an all time high and prompted staff to write them down on the VDU.

During that period, if we wanted to send data to either a 3rd party or another department, the data would require a strong password, usually well OTT, at that time I would use complete paragraphs..

Halcyon days

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back