Passports Left In Campsite Reception Offices.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by travelbunyip, Jul 17, 2015.

1. travelbunyip

travelbunyip Funster

We have now been on the road for about 12 weeks and the other day we were asked to hand over our passport at the reception to a campsite. We have not been to many campsites as we have been in eastern Europe mainly wild camping. I told the receptionist that I do not hand over my passports, you can take a copy but the original document stay with me. I gave him my camping card and he was ok with that. In the past I have seem passports put into a cardboard box and left in an open unattended reception office. Does anyone know what the legality is of leaving passports at the campsites is? I will not do it as being from Australia it will cause a great problem if it is misplaced.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

It is usual for them to ask for this to prove you are who you say you are and to ensure that you return to the office when you are due to leave to pay your dues, however as you've found a camping card (CCI I think) is also accepted and is by far a much safer thing to leave. There's no way on earth I'd ever let anyone hold onto my passport and if they insisted I'd go elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I'm not sure of the legality but it does happen.

In France at one time you had to leave your passport at reception so they could register you with the local police. It's many years since I was in France so don't know if that is still the case.

• Like Like x 1
  4. travelbunyip

travelbunyip Funster

Yes we have a Camping Card [CCI] and it has been acceptable in most places. I'm with you I will go elsewhere rather than leave my passport with strangers in a campsite office. At the last place they told me that the office has a camera surveillance system. That is not reassuring as it will only help after the deed has taken place , not preventing it.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Recently been to a French Campsite and they were happy to take my details from my ACSI card. Sometimes they ask for a photo ID so I show my driving licence but our passports are always locked away in the safe in the van. A month tour in Europe in France, Germany, Austria and Italy and all camp sites were happy with that. Never had to leave anything with reception anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Back in Sarfend for a while, then back to RSA.
    It's not yours to give to anyone. It always remains the property of Her Maj's Government.

Last year I was a close observer to a situation where the wrong passports were given to some departing campers who headed off to ???? so when the actual holders of those passports checked out later it was just a trifle tricky and took several days to get sorted.

Don't do it.

7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

France has a national ID card system so foreign visitors are expected to keep passports on their person in case they're stopped by Police. The CCI card is a handy substitute for campsite reception.

8. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

"Passports are the property of the Crown," warns HM Passport Office. But once you get abroad, not every enterprise gives the travel document the respect that Her Britannic Majesty might like.
    It is, routine for hotels to retain passports. In many parts of the world, traders regard the temporary possession of a passport as the one gold-plated guarantee that a tourist will behave. In the absence of such certainty, hoteliers and others may demand a credit card, a driving licence or hard cash.
    I can't see that will change in the foreseeable future. Personally I would never hand it over, but go somewhere else if I had to.

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

It used to be a very widespread practice on campsites but is much rarer these days I think. In Europe the ACSI card seems to be sufficient in most places.

I do always have copies of my passport tucked away in various places and have contact details of our embassy as well should the worst happen. Losing a passport is a pain but only an inconvenience if it happens in somewhere like France or Spain. In more out of the way places it could take a while to sort out but on a trip to Jordan a few years ago my colleague lost his and he went through customs faster than I did!

If you can come up with a good reason it is possible to have two passports, at least here in the UK, not sure about Oz. Planning to regularly visit countries where you have to send off your passport to get visas used to be sufficient but in these suspicious days this may not be enough.

10. rrusty

rrusty Funster

Just back from Spain and they won't accept the ACSI card this year, you must have your passport scanned.

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Exactly my experience, they scan the passport, hand it back and keep the ACSI card. No problem

Except of course when they gave my ACSI card to someone else as they did at the Albarracin campsite! I got it back a couple of weeks later from the Dutch couple who were given it in error. Very kind of them to return it and I sent them a little gift from Plymouth to say thanks.

12. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

when we was in Portugal. the camp site took my bus pass , instead of my passport.

13. busby

busby Funster

14. busby

busby Funster

We noticed that last year but were not asked once in Spain Portugal or France this year..BUSBY.

15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

If you stayed at a hotel, you had to fill in an 'aliens card', and leave your passport until you checked out. The police collected the cards on a daily basis.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JJ

JJ Funster

I NEVER leave my passport(s) with anyone...

JJ :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  17. 2Aussies

2Aussies Funster

Hi Bunyip. Safe travels cobber! We arrive Wednesday for 10 weeks in Scotland. 10 yrs ago the Passport issue was one for us in Europe. Made copies and handed them over once original was sighted; some made a copy themselves and CCI card also satisfied. Like you, it was drummed into us NOT to handover Passport.
    Cheers mate

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

A tip !!
    When your card ( or indeed passport if it has to be ) is returned to you, just make sure it is actually yours !
    At some point in a grand tour a couple of years ago, we were given the wrong ACSI card back.. We never actually noticed it until weeks after we got home !

19. Tosan

Tosan Funster

Do you have to carry your passports on you at all times ? When abroad ?

20. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Don't know about rest of Europe, but in France you're expected to have your passport on you and all vehicle documents in your car./ van.