Passions or Aires (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Doing France for 6 weeks late August into October, we have booked to attend the C & CC La Garangeoire Rally and looking forward to it. For the rest of the holiday we intend doing some touring and seeing the sights. My wife has a fancy to do some Passion sites rather than Aires, anyone have any views one way or another. This will be our first holiday to France in a motor-home.

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Like anything you'll get mixed replies, but I'll kick off with a "France Passion is great!"

We've used them loads and always enjoyed our stopovers. Very much a countryside stopover rather than towns and villages normally, but we've always been warmly welcomed by the hosts, and left with memories that we certainly wouldn't have got at a camp site.

Having said that, we mix and match with aires too. Aires are good for the morning walk into the boulangerie to get your baguettes and croissants, or evening promenade followed by a meal out.

Steve :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
My wife has a fancy to do some Passion sites rather than Aires, anyone have any views one way or another

Never used France Passion only aires and or municipal sites.. but no need to limit your choice.. why not try both.. ?

as far as I know FP it's 'expected' (not compelled) to purchase produce from your host.. but not being drinkers going to vineyard or such like we would have no interest .. also heard they are hard to locate.. that may just be forum chatter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
As Scotjimland say's we also haven't used FP , as usually stick to aires or municipal c/s. FP , I believe there is a cost involved but not expensive initially but then I would feel obligated to purchase (even if I didn't want whatever was on offer) the FP owners produce.
I prefer to be in a village or small town so you can sample local atmosphere & wares, plus boulangeries & shops.
But each to his own, try both this time then you let us know when you get back your findings .

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Stewart we have used Freance Passion in the past and loved it some of the sites we stayed on where stunning and the host so friendly. We did have a slight issue with one that could have been down to is being fussy, we explained to the owner and just moved on he was fine. It was a small farm and the place was just really untidy and not well kept with the grass being about 10inches long, just didn't get a good feeling about the place.
The best one we stayed at the owner had 3 daughters roughly Sophie's age so she had a great time with them while we had refreshments with the owners.
I also think you should use Aires as they will be in some really handy places for visiting towns and tourist attractions, again we have found some lovely Aires on our holidays and only really found one or two we wouldn't use again.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
.............................................. Aires are good for the morning walk into the boulangerie to get your baguettes and croissants....................Steve :)

.......... and therein lies my problem!

I too like to find aires within walking distance of a boulangerie but even though I've been doing it for a goodly number of years, I still frequently find that somehow, during my stroll from the boulangerie back to the camper, my baguette has vanished and I have to turn around and do it all over again.
Please don't tell me that the solution is to buy 2 baguettes! I've tried that - they both vanish on the way back.

I think I'll have to stick to aires that have a boulangerie delivery van calling :)

OP
OP
Stewart J
Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just ordered the French Aires books from Vicarious Books, the Passion is a yearly subscription from March to March which kinda puts me off a bit.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
We use both and have had some great times at Passions.The trick is to only go to ones that produce something you like (y) So,for us,that's vineyards (particularly the one at Fleurie) Cheese producers,one we stayed at had rose petal products,another in Espelette produced pepper products,yet another did preserved meats (Pot D'vlieje) (y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
You are only supposed to stay one night at FP but often you can stay longer. Likewise they don't have to provide any services but we have been offered ehu and water.
The problem we found was that the poi file provided is packed with places that don't exist, apparently deliberately so that you have to use the (paid for) book rather than the 'poi near' which is how we normally find aires or sites. Because of the difficulty in finding a nearby FP site we have stopped using them. The book is arranged by Region, and these are pretty big so not really well organised.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back