Passenger lands plane

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by New Dawn, Mar 27, 2014.

1. New Dawn

New Dawn Funster

Just watched this programme on Chanel 4. The guy deserves a medal. Never flown a plane in his life. His friend the pilot sadly dies on the flight home, leaving this chap to fly & land the plane. His sense of humour & determination to get back to his grandkids was inspirational. The back up from the authorities was brilliant. No-one thought he would survive. A must watch. (Bound to be repeated) :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

All done at the young age of 77:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  3. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Missed that, must try and watch it.:Smile:

4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

5. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

Classic British Bulldog spirit..:thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I had to land a plane on way home from Spain when I was about 18.

Pilot pissed off and jumped out of plane with the cute air hostess with the last 2 parachutes.

Yours truly was the only one that could put captain's hat on properly so I had to land the bugger.

The runway was only about 50 yards long. But it was 2 miles wide.

7. DeuceBG

DeuceBG Funster

:Doh:

8. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

We watched that, really impressed with him. :thumb:

Even though I hate flying, when we had sea plane transfers in the maldives I felt sitting behind the pilots that I could fly it. :Doh: :Wink: :Rofl1:

It made us smile at the end when it said he has just had his first flying lesson. :thumb: Bob.

• Like Like x 2
  9. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

I think he did a brilliant job! Credit to him! :thumb:
    I learned to fly in a Cessna 172, similar to the one he landed, and it is not easy in broad daylight, never mind at night.
    A very trying time is a first solo landing when you have been training for weeks, let alone, a first time.
    It could have been a different outcome if he had not been so calm.

Craig

• Like Like x 2
  10. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

I was on that plane. I never had the chance to thank you, at the time, for saving all our lives; I do so now. Thanks a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Aww, shucks, you made me blush :cry:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Did the pilots fly bare foot ? Ours did! It was weird seeing him opening a vent in his side window, to cool the cockpit too. I don't like flying but they landed the sea plane so smoothly . Though even with the ear plugs in the propellers engine was so noisy. I'd hate to think I had to land it:Eeek:
    We watched the program and the man was a star. He did so well.

• Like Like x 2
  13. pendy

pendy Read Only Funster

When I first read it I tbought of Ryanair and tbe lengths tbey go to in trying to save money on pilots.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wingman

wingman Funster

WHAT A FANTASTIC PROGRAMME! If you haven't seen it, watch it. Even if you're not into aeroplanes, it's a great human story. A true story where an ordinary 77 year old fella who rose above the tragedy of the sudden incapacitation of his pilot, averted disaster and flew his deceased friend back to mother earth.

I had Twitter running as I watched the prog' (don't ask, I'm not an expert with it!) and I was humbled by the tweeted comments. Most of course, were from youngsters. The comments either suggested that he should receive a Pride of Britain Award or mainly said things like, "I cried for him" or "Hey, 77 year old geezer in that plane; respect to ya man". One female was so impressed with the calmness of the old boy that she wanted him to be her birthing partner!!

Far from it being a sensationalised TV 'disaster movie', the programme highlighted two things; a man of great courage who refused to give up. A man from a bygone era where politeness, humour, caring for his fellow man and Britishness shone through, even in the face of dreadful adversity.

For me, the prog' also showed the prowess and professionalism required to fly a light aircraft. I frequently get asked three questions; do I fly solo, how much an hour is it and do I have a white scarf and goggles! Few have any idea what it all entails. Well, 77 year old John Wildey certainly showed us! Up there, with hardly any experience, at night, with no instrumentation illuminated - Wow! (I've been flying for 20 years and still find putting it on the ground a challenge!).

I had the good fortune to come across Mr Wildey's grandson who was also on Twitter. I asked him to pass on my congratulations and respects to his Gramps. He told me that he would when he saw him, but his granddad was too busy at the moment with flying lessons!!

Talking of lessons, contrary to popular belief, learning to fly is not a rich person's hobby. Forget the hourly rate, you can learn and get your licence for less than a third of the price of a good s/h car. It costs even less if you go the microlight route (and I don't mean the one like a hang-glider!). if you don't want to do the full course, go and have an 'Air experience Flight' (they used to call them Trial Lessons). They make great gifts and the instructor will give you the controls. Ladies, particularly, make good pilots. The SAR Helicopter that followed John Wildey throughout his ordeal was flown by a woman.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but the programme was so uplifting.

Regards
    James

• Like Like x 4
  15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

how the hell he recovered from the tip stall is beyond belief.....it certainly isnt a routine manouvere and he wont have had any experience of it.

A trainee pilot has to endure this as a part of the training but he/she would have a live and kicking instructor with him/her if things went tits up.

I used to fly model aircraft and often wondered if i could fly and land a full scale job with my model exerience.

The theory is just the same.

17. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Yes, I saw it last night - magnificent!

18. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If anyone is interested the programme is being shown again tonight at 9.00 pm on channel 4seven (no 47 on freeview prog guide). :BigGrin:

19. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Also 140 on SKY. At 21:00.