Particulate Filter recall (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Here we go again, recalls for the so called particulate filter or design cock up. My Renault Master has been recalled today by means of a phone call not a letter. Was told NOT to use the vehicle until the problem is rectified but it isn't dangerous. Thses things have been nothing but trouble since they began fitting them. Six months ago I spent a day in hospital after the particulate filter split on my car causing me to vomit and eventually pass out. The manufacturer stated then they hadn't had a problem. Why do these manufacturers talk so much crap and tell endless lies.
Back to the motorhome. I told Renault that due to my past experience I wasn't prepared to drive the vehicle to them so a collection would have to be arranged. They are to send out a recovery vehicle to transport a vehicle weighing 4.25t and over 7.5 metres long.
I don't see why a customer should be used as a test bed for new gadgets and have all the inconvenience when they go wrong. We suffer enough of this when we buy the vehicles.
My local dealer has stated that they replace endless particulate filters especially on the Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen chassis. The warning light is always flashing which in turn will cost us mugs a lot of money to replace these problem parts.
Will we EVER see an honest dealer/manufacturer or have they all been programmed to deceive and tell lies.
I feel better now, sorry about the moan but this makes my blood boil.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I don't think anyone is telling lies. Particulate filters were brought in to meet emission regulations but it turned out to be an imperfect solution. A small number of new engines are coming on to the market now which have the exhaust manifold in the cylinder head which allows the filter to be set extremely close to the exhaust valves which in turn means they run much hotter and this should create many fewer problems, at least of blocked filters. Manufacturing or design faults which lead to split filters will always be a risk as with any component on a vehicle failing but I have never heard of this sort of fault before you mentioned it so I think it is pretty rare.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A dpf is a ceramic honeycomb which traps soot particals and eventually burns the soot.

Why would a burst filter make you Ill..
.unless you were parked in a garage for a time with the engine running..... But then you would not need a split filter to get CO poisoning.

A split DPF would be as loud as an ordinary silencer splitting.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wiljoy
May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
The problem encountered on my car was whilst travelling. The filter is positioned in the engine bay and split. This fault wasn't obvious but it created so much heat under the bonnet it melted several plastic components. The gases transferred into the car as I travelled on the motorway home. After pulling into the services feeling ill I vomited and callspsed. Whilst waiting for medical treatment a mechanic happened to be there and checked under the bonnet. He confirmed my case wasn't an isolated incident but one of many kept quiet.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
And what type of car ???? so i dont buy 1

Alan,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements