Parlez-vous le français ?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by syranara, Mar 10, 2009.

1. syranara

syranara Read Only Funster

Hi all,

As our Easter break in France looms ever nearer I've realised that my feeble attempts at learning French leave a lot to be desired :Doh:

As this is also our first long trip in our van I wonder if all you clever French speakers can come up with your most useful/most used phrases.

Many thanks,

Marion

2. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Bonjour!

Hummmmm???? quelles phrases? camping? Réservations téléphoniques? Acheter du pain?:Laughing: I'm not particularly clever... only ... french!!!:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Amicalement

Frankie:Wink:

3. colpot

colpot Read Only Funster

You should see Frankies Thread on French Language Lessons. Just search and learn!:Smile:

4. evans88

evans88 Read Only Funster

Pardon Monsieur. Mon francais n'est pas bon mais une jour j'espere parler francais bien. A ce moment je preferais parler anglais.

Basically this means (not a literal translation)

"I haven't a clue how to speak French but one day I hope to. I prefer to speak English, otherwise we're stuffed". :Laughing:

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi, French language lessons already under way on this site Frankie (Yodeli)has put a lot of effort into producing lessons for everyone. Lessons include vocabulary, phrases, and typical conversation. All lessons are written with a downloadable pronounciation MP3 file that plays in windows media player.
    You can find the thread
    <Here - French Lessons >

just click on the above link, if you then set the page as home age on your tabs you will get fresh updates as soon as they are available.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Don't worry about it. They are only being awkward, they understand perfectly, all you have to do is assert yourself, speak loudly and slowly, show them British Authority and they'll get the message.

If you want to go a bit soft on them just call the men garçon.

7. syranara

Thanks all,

Frankie I've seen your thread but as this is my first trip in my motorhome I really need a few basic phrases regarding camping. The French course that I'm on might be teaching me the basics but it doesn't cover phrases that you might need on an Aire or campsite :Rofl1:

Merci

Marion

8. Reveuse

Reveuse Read Only Funster

All you need to do is: if you've got a chap with you hide him in your van, pick out an unsuspecting Frenchman, look fluffy and helpless and say 'pardon Monsieur mais je ne comprends pas comment ca marche'. French men are such suckers for that, they will even unhook your hookup for you and demonstrate how to coil it up all nice and tidy :Nowink:

9. Maddie

Maddie Read Only Funster

Voulez-vous coucher avec moi?

That might help you to get some friends :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

sorry.

Maddie

10. yodeli

OK! So i'll make a lesson with the most used phrases in order to help you to manage with the camping sites 's stuffs. Tell me a bit more about what you need. mainly questions i suppose as for prices , hard standing pitch, electricity, taps, grey water... and ??? what else? Give me food for thought!
    I'll make as well a lesson about problems happening on motorways (as mechanic ones).

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

11. Kooky

Kooky Read Only Funster

Hi Marion,
    Why not try one of the online translators. Type in the phrases you think you may need and they will be translated for you. They are not always grammatically correct, obviously, but could be quite helpful and give you the general idea of what you want to say.
    One thing to remember, the French are very polite so always start with "Bonjour monsieur/madame" and finish with "Merci monsieur/madame, (au revoir)"
    The same goes for shopping in small local shops, or going into a bar, you should always acknowledge everyone with a general "bonjour" or "m'sieurs dames"

12. yodeli

It's not that bad, except perhaps.....Pardon MONSIEUR! :Eeek:I'm a "lady frankie":Rofl1::Rofl1:

Frankie:Smile:

13. yodeli

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

14. Kooky

Kooky Read Only Funster

Sorry Frankie, our posts crossed there. I know I'd rather have you translate and teach, than use an online translator.

15. syranara

Hi,

Maddie - I'm sure that would help but I don't think my OH would like it much :Wink:

Frankie, yes it's basically every day questions regarding prices; vacancies; anything related to travelling. I've found your thread with the lessons and tried to download the mp3 file but it was taking a little too long (I'm at work at the moment). I will log on when I get home tonight so I can catch up with your teaching.

I have to admit that driving through France en route to Spain the past couple of years I've found everyone very friendly but I've never taken the van to tour around so I guess it's just beginners nerves and I expect everything will be fine. :Blush:

Thanks for all your suggestions - even the ones that could get me into trouble :Rofl1:

Marion

16. Maddie

Maddie Read Only Funster

I always get people in trouble !! :Blush: Never mind.

Laurens, our son, is dreading parent evening as I promised him that if the reports were bad, I would appear the next day at school in a pink tutu !!:Rofl1:
    He is at THAT age of nearly 14.
    He nearly believes me !!

I love being a parent.

Maddie :thumb: