parking ticket for parking in Ripon coach car park (1 Viewer)

dalmore_pam

Free Member
Mar 5, 2016
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2012
We visited Ripon on a Saturday and because all the centre car parks were busy the only place we could fit our van in was in the coach car park. There was only one small coach, more like a minibus parked there. It did state coaches only but many times we have been directed to park in coach car parks, so we thought we'd be OK. Although it was free, we bought a ticket from the nearby car park to show we weren't trying to get out of paying for a parking space. We shopped in town, spending £40+ and came back to a £70 parking ticket. So be warned, motorhomes can't use Ripon's coach park. I read another post on here where someone else did and they seemed to be ok. They got a ticket for not paying for multiple bays, which is fair enough. Seems crazy when other areas of the country and Yorkshire do allow motorhomes to use them. We thought we were being considerate by keeping out of everyone's way.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Hard luck when you were trying to be considerate. We are very fond of Ripon and visit it most years but have never tried to park in the town. We stop on one of two camp sites on the edge of town and walk in to the centre.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Unfortunate because Harrogate Council is pretty good in allowing motorhomes to use car parks, so long as a ticket is purchased for each bay used.

However, as posted previously (and on my web site home page) but worth repeating - "In any car park, check any signs to ensure that your vehicle is allowed to park there. In particular, do not use coach bays unless specifically told you can."

Whilst a few councils (and attractions) allow motorhomes to use coach spaces the majority allow only coaches in coach parking spaces because they have few of them, coach drivers need somewhere to park easily so as not to exceed permitted driving hours and they bring significant number of visitors to the area. One of the problems with coach parks is that they can be empty at one moment and then full shortly afterwards because of the nature of day trips and the like.

Similar restrictions often apply to HGV parking spaces.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps contacting them and explaining might help ... worth a try!

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Sorry bout your experience. I was done for parking once on Chester Roo Dee Car park .. which apart from a car miles away was empty.... I had parked in a bay with my wing mirror overlapping the next bay.. :( ... so be really careful y'all.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome to Fun! And welcome to motorhome friendly England! :)

There's a little coterie of female Funsters on here - you'll fit in well! (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
read another post on here where someone else did and they seemed to be ok. They got a ticket for not paying for multiple bays,
I think you must be confused between car parks...

Why would you meed to pay for multiple bays in a COACH park...even the largest RV will fit in a coach bay.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think you must be confused between car parks...

Why would you meed to pay for multiple bays in a COACH park...even the largest RV will fit in a coach bay.
I think the point was that the other van owner had parked across 2 car park bays but bought only 1 ticket.

OP
OP
dalmore_pam

dalmore_pam

Free Member
Mar 5, 2016
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2012
Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear. We did only park in one coach bay. It was a previous poster I was referring to when I mentioned that they'd parked in the coach park without getting a ticket. However, they subsequently got a ticket in another Ripon car park for parking across multiple bays, when they'd only bought one ticket. They must have been lucky to not have been ticketed in the coach park was my point.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Welcome to Fun! And welcome to motorhome friendly England! :)

There's a little coterie of female Funsters on here - you'll fit in well! (y)
I don't, they won't have me there with them. Not fair.

Reactions: GBS
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Hard luck when you were trying to be considerate. We are very fond of Ripon and visit it most years but have never tried to park in the town. We stop on one of two camp sites on the edge of town and walk in to the centre.
Welcome dalmore_pam and sorry to hear that you got a ticket.
Worth a phone call to the council to see if they'll waiver it. As a Yorkshireman, I'd like to think that they'd be understanding, but then we are talking about someone at a council being a bit human!

JeanLuc - which sites do you recommend?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear. We did only park in one coach bay. It was a previous poster I was referring to when I mentioned that they'd parked in the coach park without getting a ticket. However, they subsequently got a ticket in another Ripon car park for parking across multiple bays, when they'd only bought one ticket. They must have been lucky to not have been ticketed in the coach park was my point.
Got it now. (y)

OP
OP
dalmore_pam

dalmore_pam

Free Member
Mar 5, 2016
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2012
Thank you everyone for your kind comments. A lesson learned I guess.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
JeanLuc - which sites do you recommend?

We used to stay at a CS called Parkside but the chap who owns it now closes around October so we have stayed at River Laver. Both sites are adjacent on the road to Studley Royal.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Typical of woolly "council" thinking, Most places seem to think that Motor-home users are in the same category as Itinerants!. Very little provision for larger vehicles.

The USA bye and large has a much better toleration of "R-V"s in general. many places, and especially "attractions" have dedicated space!.

P.s. Oh! and before someone pipes up about our being a "small island" not having the space the US has. It`s about attitude NOT space. 2 or three Dedicated spaces in car parks would probably pay for themselves in No time with the extra "footfall" and spending!.

Pete.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Typical of woolly "council" thinking, Most places seem to think that Motor-home users are in the same category as Itinerants!. Very little provision for larger vehicles.

The USA bye and large has a much better toleration of "R-V"s in general. many places, and especially "attractions" have dedicated space!.

P.s. Oh! and before someone pipes up about our being a "small island" not having the space the US has. It`s about attitude NOT space. 2 or three Dedicated spaces in car parks would probably pay for themselves in No time with the extra "footfall" and spending!.

Pete.

Or if nothing else, the council concerned can then fine the cars or maybe even the coaches, for using the motorhome bays :)

?

Deleted User
Was it a private parking firm? Had a few myself what get rolled up and thrown in the bin. If the council ran parking attendants/traffic wardens then pay up. Only ever had two from that lot what was paid straight away.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Was it a private parking firm? Had a few myself what get rolled up and thrown in the bin. If the council ran parking attendants/traffic wardens then pay up. Only ever had two from that lot what was paid straight away.
Me too. Never heard from them again. (y)

Mind you, the van is registered to Rev Jonathan Mywyanga DaDa, 23, Red Hot Crumpet Street, Mombasa. :)

?

Deleted User
Me too. Never heard from them again. (y)

Mind you, the van is registered to Rev Jonathan Mywyanga DaDa, 23, Red Hot Crumpet Street, Mombasa. :)

Seen this? Hope your proud.

Broken Link Removed

?

Deleted User
Could have ran him over. If your moving you dont get parking tickets (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Welcome to fun from another weegie.
downloadfile-2.gif

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Although not often enforced most CAR PARKS have a weight limit in the TRO. This can be from as low as 30cwt to 3050kg depending on the authority.

HGV parks have a lower weight limit of 7500kg so parking smaller goods vehicles vehicles can get a PCN.

Coach Parks often have seat limits (ie. 16 seats set in the vehicle definition) so even if the vehicle is a 30ft RV it still falls fowl of the regulations

Very few parking places are allocated for vehicles between 3050kg and 7500kg.

Reactions: GJH

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
From the Harrogate Council web site: "Motorhomes are welcome to park within surface level car parks where the vehicle complies with any height restriction that is applicable. Where the vehicle is too big to park within the confines of one bay, a pay and display ticket must be purchased and displayed for every bay that the vehicle occupies. Camping is not allowed in council car parks."
How is that woolly and treating motorhomers like travellers? How is that "very little provision"?
By all means criticise councils when they deserve it but please don't do so just for the sake of perpetuating an inaccurate stereotype.
It is, perhaps, less wise to treat private car parks like that since Beavis lost last November.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
From the Harrogate Council web site: "Motorhomes are welcome to park within surface level car parks where the vehicle complies with any height restriction that is applicable. Where the vehicle is too big to park within the confines of one bay, a pay and display ticket must be purchased and displayed for every bay that the vehicle occupies. Camping is not allowed in council car parks."
How is that woolly and treating motorhomers like travellers? How is that "very little provision"?
By all means criticise councils when they deserve it but please don't do so just for the sake of perpetuating an inaccurate stereotype.

Exactly. "Wooley Thinking"?. (Or the usual are "Arn`t we being good guy`s, Look we allow motor-home parking" pat ourselves on the back!), as if we are being done a favour!. No DEDICATED parking. MOST Motor-homes are wider than any "car" designated pitches, some of which are BARELY wide enough for a modern car!, especially some SUV`s. Just try parking in 2 spaces say back to back (if you can FIND 2), and then get your doors open without damaging the next vehicle!. OR risking damage when said car owner comes back, throws their door open into your coachwork and P***es off!. (As Most do) When I had the R-V. it took 4 Places in Portleven Asda!.

P.s. The finest vehicle I had for car parks, was an OLD Shogun, complete with Side steps, front and rear "Bull Bars", a towing rig that any Blacksmith would have been proud of! and as scruffy as hell. I could park it anywhere!, and often came back to find several spaces round it!, I often wondered why?:):).

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Exactly. "Wooley Thinking"?. (Or the usual are "Arn`t we being good guy`s, Look we allow motor-home parking" pat ourselves on the back!), as if we are being done a favour!. No DEDICATED parking. MOST Motor-homes are wider than any "car" designated pitches, some of which are BARELY wide enough for a modern car!, especially some SUV`s. Just try parking in 2 spaces say back to back (if you can FIND 2), and then get your doors open without damaging the next vehicle!. OR risking damage when said car owner comes back, throws their door open into your coachwork and P***es off!. (As Most do) When I had the R-V. it took 4 Places in Portleven Asda!.

P.s. The finest vehicle I had for car parks, was an OLD Shogun, complete with Side steps, front and rear "Bull Bars", a towing rig that any Blacksmith would have been proud of! and as scruffy as hell. I could park it anywhere!, and often came back to find several spaces round it!, I often wondered why?:):).

Pete
Your RV took 4 spaces and you were surprised? More surprise that it was only 4 surely? Does anyone seriously think that UK councils should design their car parks around the requirements of vehicles designed for use in the wide open spaces of the USA? We've never had any problems using 2 spaces back to back when necessary.

Why should there be dedicated parking? Is there sufficient demand to go to the expense of redesigning the car parks? What effect would it have on other vehicles usage if they could no longer park because of dedicated spaces? That is the sort of thinking which goes into car park design, not woolly thinking or, worse, lack of thought.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Your RV took 4 spaces and you were surprised? More surprise that it was only 4 surely? Does anyone seriously think that UK councils should design their car parks around the requirements of vehicles designed for use in the wide open spaces of the USA? We've never had any problems using 2 spaces back to back when necessary.

Why should there be dedicated parking? Is there sufficient demand to go to the expense of redesigning the car parks? What effect would it have on other vehicles usage if they could no longer park because of dedicated spaces? That is the sort of thinking which goes into car park design, not woolly thinking or, worse, lack of thought.

Graham, this is one of the thing WE are never going to agree upon. I find the overall attitude of so called (UN) civil servants Pathetic. Whilst you obviously do not. I suspect on that we will have to agree to disagree. I stand by my thinking that it is more than about time more thought of our "Rulers" was directed toward what the "People" think and not what the "establishment" see as our "lot".

Sorry but I cannot see any change, and that is sad for us all, I suspect.

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham, this is one of the thing WE are never going to agree upon. I find the overall attitude of so called (UN) civil servants Pathetic. Whilst you obviously do not. I suspect on that we will have to agree to disagree. I stand by my thinking that it is more than about time more thought of our "Rulers" was directed toward what the "People" think and not what the "establishment" see as our "lot".

Sorry but I cannot see any change, and that is sad for us all, I suspect.

Pete
In that case I recommend actually studying the fact that the public sector has to cater for, often competing, requirements of all facets of society and can't just pander to the wants of individuals to the detriment of others.

Perhaps if you had witnessed the ignorant approach (with a definite lack of civility) of some of the "People" to public servants when they don't get their own way (even though they have no right to it) you might start to see the bigger picture :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back