Parking the M/H (1 Viewer)

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
New M/H collected yesterday... I knew it was going to be tight parking on my open drive
but I have to put the M/H right up to concrete posts within 1"-2" to clear the pavement.
I was a bit nervous I can tell you.
The Wife guided me in on day one. But with her being disabled I cannot rely on her doing this each time..
Anybody seen anything on the market/suggestions what I can get to stop me before hitting the concrete post. I'm no handy person, in fact a walking disaster with anything DIY.
All I can think of is some kind of rubber or foam to try and stick on concrete posts in case I misjudge.

Thanks
Alan

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
What's the circumference of the posts? Would a tyre from a bicycle fit around them?

You could also try putting a piece of wood or something on the drive at the point where the rear wheels need to stop, making sure that you can see the object with your wing mirror.

bazfergy

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
dumfries scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years
parking mh

New M/H collected yesterday... I knew it was going to be tight parking on my open drive
but I have to put the M/H right up to concrete posts within 1"-2" to clear the pavement.
I was a bit nervous I can tell you.
The Wife guided me in on day one. But with her being disabled I cannot rely on her doing this each time..
Anybody seen anything on the market/suggestions what I can get to stop me before hitting the concrete post. I'm no handy person, in fact a walking disaster with anything DIY.
All I can think of is some kind of rubber or foam to try and stick on concrete posts in case I misjudge.

Thanks
Alan
hi alan reversing sensors are ideal mate they dont cost the earth and they are dead easy to fit or a reversing camera, but the more often you park the van in the same spot the easier it'll become. best of luck mate:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

duetto owner

Free Member
May 7, 2009
north surrey
Funster No
MH
hi top
Exp
in first year
I am the same as you tight small short drive, disabled wife. Had reversing camera fitted its fantastic.

make sure you get a decent one, apparently some are poor.

OP
OP
D

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
What's the circumference of the posts? Would a tyre from a bicycle fit around them?

You could also try putting a piece of wood or something on the drive at the point where the rear wheels need to stop, making sure that you can see the object with your wing mirror.
Thanks... Good suggestion. Six foot high wood panels between concrete posts..
I don't reverse in, I drive in and reverse out. Its bad enough trying to gauge head first so to speak.

OP
OP
D

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
I am the same as you tight small short drive, disabled wife. Had reversing camera fitted its fantastic.

make sure you get a decent one, apparently some are poor.
See above I drive in... Something I may well look at though. Thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
or

put a plank of wood or a couple of kerb stones across the drive where the front wheels MUST stop..

lorry loading bays sometimes have steel beams bolted to the deck for the same purpose.

400ixl

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt High
Exp
3 years
Plank or similar is a good idea.

We have a painted line next to where the drivers side front wheel has to be centred.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We brought a rubber buffer from an HGV on line shop and attached to the wall of the house. Never got near it due to Mrs Colpot waving and shouting "Stop!" when I got within a foot of it.:shout: It was good for the Hymer, but now we have the Swift its at the wrong height, so I rely solely on Mrs Colpot!:Eeek:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
hi Mr colpot,

padding on the post is a waste of time.......plastic/GRP is no match for a concrete or wood post even covered in rubber.

id go for the plank or kerb stone idea or drive in, reverse out but reversing onto a road is supposed to be a no-no.

you can buy 'traffic lights' which have a pressure pad on the floor and lights on the wall......drive onto the pad, the lights come on.
dont know what they'de be like outdoors though.

OP
OP
D

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
Thanks everyone for input... I think the easiest solution is the heavy kerbstone of sorts from the Garden Centre. At least it should stop the kids from attempting to try and move it. Not so much bothered about reversing out because we live on a quiet cul-de-sac so not much of a problem. I was looking at this, it might raise a laugh with the neighbours.
Although i suppose I could just drill a hole in the tarmac and stick a garden cane in it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Get-Organized-PARK-N-PLACE/dp/B000RGI7BQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1243591257&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: PARK N PLACE: Home Improvement[/ame]
Thanks again Folks.

rwg

Sep 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
Benivan 120
Exp
Since 2021
I have to park close to the house wall too and stuck on some of this self adhesive high density foam just in case of a mistake.

FWP4020Bx4 Self-adhesive, Thick Rubber Foam Bumpers, for Protection of Garage Walls and Car Doors, 15.7"x7.9"x0.8" (40x20x2 cm), Black. (Pack of 4 pcs) https://amzn.eu/d/0xZA8Zz

It's still stuck on nicely after a year and the worst that seems to happen if you bump up against it slowly is a black mark left on the paintwork which comes off without too much hassle.

Cheers, Robin
PXL_20220912_090028394.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back