Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
Does any one else know why in the UK all our parking slots are at 90 degrees to the road, in St.Tropez for example the cars are very tightly packed but using a diagonal approach getting in and out makes it so easy to get in and spot an empty place from a distance away. Last year I was in a car park in York where even the driving lanes were barely a cars width then you had to turn into impossible slots, there where 2 drivers complaining they had been hit
The other question is why are all UK parking bays so slim and certainly not suitable for today's average car, the supermarkets are a good example.

Reactions: CWH
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I suspect it's because standard chevron bays don't lend themselves to reverse parking? They could be arranged to so so but I don't think I've ever seen any marked that way round.

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
But even Fiestas are now the size of the Ford Cortinas from the 70's, I know many vehicles are equipped with sensors and cameras but the doors don't have them fitted....perhaps they should, power doors with sensors, now there's an idea:clap:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Does any one else know why in the UK all our parking slots are at 90 degrees to the road, in St.Tropez for example the cars are very tightly packed but using a diagonal approach getting in and out makes it so easy to get in and spot an empty place from a distance away. Last year I was in a car park in York where even the driving lanes were barely a cars width then you had to turn into impossible slots, there where 2 drivers complaining they had been hit
Parking bays parallel to the road take up less of the road width, especially in narrow roads.
The other question is why are all UK parking bays so slim and certainly not suitable for today's average car, the supermarkets are a good example.
Minimum bay sizes were last revised over 20 years ago (though there was an announcement about 2 years ago that they were to be scrapped). Even scrapping them won't immediately solve the problem, though, because car park owners (whether public or private sector) aren't going to spend money redesigning their car parks just because so many of us have chosen to buy cars that are too big to be parked properly in some cases.

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
But that leads on to yet another moan, why are parking charges so high, land rent can't surely go up by the same amount some companies charge, problem is the bosses of such companies have so much money they then go out and buy huge 4x4 vehicles that do not fit in the spaces they themselves provide.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But that leads on to yet another moan, why are parking charges so high, land rent can't surely go up by the same amount some companies charge, problem is the bosses of such companies have so much money they then go out and buy huge 4x4 vehicles that do not fit in the spaces they themselves provide.
Are parking charges high? Where we normally shop it's either free or £1 for an hour or two. Maybe it's one of the advantages of living in the north :)

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Silly Southend council decided this angled parking was a good idea and in the middle of the road on the seafront they did the work. Unfortunately the put the chevrons so that you had to reverse in, CHAOS on a busy day....Soooo the then decided it was easier to drive straight in. How on earth do they find these twats. Anyways the chipped all the road away and redone it the other way. BUT, who has to pay? you guessed it ..... Us poor taxpayers. Whoever was responsible should pay for blatant stupidity. :mad::mad:

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002

Not just the bosses,but also myriads of women taking their offspring to school then aiming at a spot to leave tractor blocking off most of the thorough fare to chat with another tractor owner...

nelly

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8090DF A Class
Exp
Since 2002
Not just the bosses,but also myriads of women taking their offspring to school then aiming at a spot to leave tractor blocking off most of the thorough fare to chat with another tractor owner...
Seems a strange moan when your picture shows a vehicle much bigger than any "tractor "

OP
OP
Big bus man

Big bus man

Free Member
Sep 20, 2015
Crawley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since March 2015
The school run Wow now there is a whole new subject to talk about, I live on a junction opposite a school and come 2.30pm it is better than watching telly, a two lane road but one side filled with cars then you get the 'I ain't moving back' ones and the locals trying to get into their driveways, I have seen many confrontations many stand off's and even the Police being called before now, the worse ones are those that turn up late but need to be at the classroom door for 3pm, they literally abandon their vehicles on hazard lines on the pavement I have even watched one use a private driveway, it's funny but not funny but all because schools can take who they want from where they want as families demand the best education for their kids. In my day I did not have a choice where I went and we had to walk home even from a young age.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The school run Wow now there is a whole new subject to talk about, I live on a junction opposite a school and come 2.30pm it is better than watching telly, a two lane road but one side filled with cars then you get the 'I ain't moving back' ones and the locals trying to get into their driveways, I have seen many confrontations many stand off's and even the Police being called before now, the worse ones are those that turn up late but need to be at the classroom door for 3pm, they literally abandon their vehicles on hazard lines on the pavement I have even watched one use a private driveway, it's funny but not funny but all because schools can take who they want from where they want as families demand the best education for their kids. In my day I did not have a choice where I went and we had to walk home even from a young age.
We have that behaviour here, including people using our drive. Pure selfish ignorance.

Thinking about the general point, many of the cars we see badly parked are little "city" cars. It appears that some drivers simply make no effort to park parallel to the lines so long as they can get out of their own doors easily.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Silly Southend council decided this angled parking was a good idea and in the middle of the road on the seafront they did the work. Unfortunately the put the chevrons so that you had to reverse in, CHAOS on a busy day....Soooo the then decided it was easier to drive straight in. How on earth do they find these twats. Anyways the chipped all the road away and redone it the other way. BUT, who has to pay? you guessed it ..... Us poor taxpayers. Whoever was responsible should pay for blatant stupidity. :mad::mad:
They changed them? So now those parked, reverse out? isn't that against the law?;)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Er, isn't it illegal to reverse onto a main road? or is that only out of your own driveway or something?

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Er, isn't it illegal to reverse onto a main road? or is that only out of your own driveway or something?
The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 S106 simply says "No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle backwards on a road further than may be requisite for the safety or reasonable convenience of the occupants of the vehicle or other traffic, unless it is a road roller or is engaged in the construction, maintenance or repair of the road" so reversing from a driveway or side road isn't illegal as long as the driver can claim to meet the reasonable convenience requirement.

The Highway Code Rule 201, based on the CUR, just says "Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.".

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Here, we have real fun, In close proximity are the Doctors, The Pharmacy, and the Primary School, entrance. So from 8-25ish in a morning the "sick and sorry" start parking for their appointments, (no off street parking for the Doctors) followed by the "WAG`S", Footballers wives, whatever!. Who drive 200yards from the small "Executive" estate at the bottom of our road, park remove school age child from the vehicle followed by the pre school child via the door(s) on the Road side (obviously, cannot go getting the designer boots muddy on the grass verge) walk the remaining 30yards to the school gate and stand "gassing". whilst texting or facebooking, return to vehicle (C,T. SUV etc;) and spend several minuets restraining said sprog, before eventually making 15 point turn Often using Our driveway before returning the 200yards home. This process is repeated at 3-25pm. Just as Afternoon/Evening Surgery Starts, and the Sick and Sorry start fighting for parking. Including BOTH side of the road and on the corner too. In between all this, there is a steady stream of "punters" for the pharmacy, who likewise desperately need to be parked not further than 2'', from the door!!.

My neighbour, and ex traffic officer himself has tackled the L-A, several times, as I have I, to have AT LEAST double yellows on the corner. But the "Party line", as far as we can make out is "Someone (Child?, OAP?) has to DIE "before we can do anything!".

BUT, the real fun begins when I want the Motor-home out!, If I wait until "Mayhem" I cannot reverse into the road AND straighten up because of the parked vehicles. So then I have to resort to getting out early Parking SWMBO`s Car, and the "toad" with a big gap between them and fill it with Wheelie Bin`s!!!!. I now have sufficient room the exit and Park!! because as I reverse into the road, (I would prefer to drive out but if I park that way I cannot get in the Hab Door!) SWMBO, moves HER car Puts the 4ways on, while I move the Bins, and blocks the road until I am Parked by the kerb.!!.

Just another day in Paradise!!!

Pete

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
(I would prefer to drive out but if I park that way I cannot get in the Hab Door!)
Just a suggestion. Would it be possible to use the driver door rather than the habitation door if the vehicle was reversed in? That's what we used to do when we had our previous van, which had the hab door on the UK near side.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just a suggestion. Would it be possible to use the driver door rather than the habitation door if the vehicle was reversed in? That's what we used to do when we had our previous van, which had the hab door on the UK near side.

OK for me. BUT "Management" needs access. And Never uses the Van doors, because the step up is too high. She carries too much stainless steel and titanium already, to risk any more damage!.

To come back to the OP. I prefer to reverse into spaces, But most typical supermarket (type) car parks are laid out so that if you back in, Loading the "goods" becomes a major issue!. and of course, Getting a wheel chair out???. can be a real can o worms.

Pete

Pete

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Driving in just shifts the chaos to when people reverse out.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
OK for me. BUT "Management" needs access. And Never uses the Van doors, because the step up is too high. She carries too much stainless steel and titanium already, to risk any more damage!.

To come back to the OP. I prefer to reverse into spaces, But most typical supermarket (type) car parks are laid out so that if you back in, Loading the "goods" becomes a major issue!. and of course, Getting a wheel chair out???. can be a real can o worms.

Pete

Pete
Supermarkets are definitely the exception!

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)

Yes, but at least an approaching driver can see your reversing light is indicating what you are attempting to do. He/she may be looking for a space. It is almost impossible to give a clear indication that you need space behind you in order to reverse.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Yes, but at least an approaching driver can see your reversing light is indicating what you are attempting to do. He/she may be looking for a space. It is almost impossible to give a clear indication that you need space behind you in order to reverse.
Agreed - to an extent. But if you signal left as you approach chevron bays it should be pretty obvious what you are about to do and very clear once your reversing lights come on. Chevron bays usually have room to the right for vehicles to pass. I suppose the real advantage is when you can drive out, entering the flow of traffic at a natural angle, and with the advantage of sitting at the best end of the vehicle. How can you see anything of the passing traffic during the early stages of reversing out?

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Sorry your wrong.... reversing involves that any cars behind you HAVE to stop and wait for you to reverse..... Reversing out again just means picking a space coming along and then out, also easier to back out because of the angle to the road, as per St. Tropez. :rolleyes:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Slightly OT but here in Cornwall the LA have introduced car parking charges which include THE FIRST HOUR FREE!!! This was in Callington.
I can't think it will include all the coastal CP's but I was in Bude this weekend and the Summerleaze beach car park was £1.50 for all day which has to be cheaper than the last time I used the CP. (Although I can't remember) Doh!!! Just been on the CC website and the prices for Summerleaze are winter prices. They rocket in Summer.

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Sorry your wrong.... reversing involves that any cars behind you HAVE to stop and wait for you to reverse..... Reversing out again just means picking a space coming along and then out, also easier to back out because of the angle to the road, as per St. Tropez. :rolleyes:

I hate reversing OUT of any space. OK on occasions it has to be done, (eg; because I have to have access to the Hab; door on my driveway, the motor-home must reverse out into the road). So the situation where I can reverse in and drive out is my favoured method, I would personally like to see all parking reverse in drive out, but this is not a perfect world. IMHO. the better situation has to be reverse into a Chevron space? and then drive out. Its only the same as (correct) parallel parking and would create most spaces for a given area?. The Use of the braking lights and indicators gives a CLEAR signal to those behind of what is about to happen. BTW, not ALL revering lights are visible from a (near) 90degree angle. often the first indication is when the vehicle starts to move!.

Not that many years ago, I was reversed into in a Morrison's car park. She just slammed it into gear and foot down. The Excuse? Late to pick child up from school!!.

Pete

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@GJH My Local Council (Havering) has just started using powers under the Public Space Protection Order to fine parents up to £1,000 for dangerous parking whilst dropping off children at school. All previous attempts at stopping this have failed; therefore this is being trialled at three pilot schools in the area. That should stop 'em!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back