Parking spaces

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big bus man, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Big bus man

Big bus man

Does any one else know why in the UK all our parking slots are at 90 degrees to the road, in St.Tropez for example the cars are very tightly packed but using a diagonal approach getting in and out makes it so easy to get in and spot an empty place from a distance away. Last year I was in a car park in York where even the driving lanes were barely a cars width then you had to turn into impossible slots, there where 2 drivers complaining they had been hit
    The other question is why are all UK parking bays so slim and certainly not suitable for today's average car, the supermarkets are a good example.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I suspect it's because standard chevron bays don't lend themselves to reverse parking? They could be arranged to so so but I don't think I've ever seen any marked that way round.

3. buttons

buttons Funster

Problem is that most parking bays are designed for Fiesta's yet most shoppers drive Chelsey Tractors. :whistle::)

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Big bus man

Big bus man

But even Fiestas are now the size of the Ford Cortinas from the 70's, I know many vehicles are equipped with sensors and cameras but the doors don't have them fitted....perhaps they should, power doors with sensors, now there's an idea:clap:

• Like Like x 1
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Parking bays parallel to the road take up less of the road width, especially in narrow roads.
    Minimum bay sizes were last revised over 20 years ago (though there was an announcement about 2 years ago that they were to be scrapped). Even scrapping them won't immediately solve the problem, though, because car park owners (whether public or private sector) aren't going to spend money redesigning their car parks just because so many of us have chosen to buy cars that are too big to be parked properly in some cases.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Big bus man

Big bus man

But that leads on to yet another moan, why are parking charges so high, land rent can't surely go up by the same amount some companies charge, problem is the bosses of such companies have so much money they then go out and buy huge 4x4 vehicles that do not fit in the spaces they themselves provide.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BILL 875

BILL 875 Funster

Its not the size of the car its some of the people trying to get in and out of them

• Like Like x 6
  8. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Are parking charges high? Where we normally shop it's either free or £1 for an hour or two. Maybe it's one of the advantages of living in the north :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. solo 1

solo 1 Funster Life Member

Silly Southend council decided this angled parking was a good idea and in the middle of the road on the seafront they did the work. Unfortunately the put the chevrons so that you had to reverse in, CHAOS on a busy day....Soooo the then decided it was easier to drive straight in. How on earth do they find these twats. Anyways the chipped all the road away and redone it the other way. BUT, who has to pay? you guessed it ..... Us poor taxpayers. Whoever was responsible should pay for blatant stupidity. :mad::mad:

• Like Like x 2
  10. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Not just the bosses,but also myriads of women taking their offspring to school then aiming at a spot to leave tractor blocking off most of the thorough fare to chat with another tractor owner...

• Like Like x 1
  11. nelly

nelly Funster

Seems a strange moan when your picture shows a vehicle much bigger than any "tractor "

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Big bus man

Big bus man

The school run Wow now there is a whole new subject to talk about, I live on a junction opposite a school and come 2.30pm it is better than watching telly, a two lane road but one side filled with cars then you get the 'I ain't moving back' ones and the locals trying to get into their driveways, I have seen many confrontations many stand off's and even the Police being called before now, the worse ones are those that turn up late but need to be at the classroom door for 3pm, they literally abandon their vehicles on hazard lines on the pavement I have even watched one use a private driveway, it's funny but not funny but all because schools can take who they want from where they want as families demand the best education for their kids. In my day I did not have a choice where I went and we had to walk home even from a young age.

• Like Like x 3
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We have that behaviour here, including people using our drive. Pure selfish ignorance.

Thinking about the general point, many of the cars we see badly parked are little "city" cars. It appears that some drivers simply make no effort to park parallel to the lines so long as they can get out of their own doors easily.

14. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Haha . ,don't use it to take kids to school though ..

• Like Like x 1
  15. glenn2926

glenn2926 Funster

They changed them? So now those parked, reverse out? isn't that against the law?;)

16. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

Sounds like a blonde Essex cxck up to me ..better to reverse in if its a busy road I would have thought...but then what do I know being a country bumpkin.

17. sedge

sedge Funster

Er, isn't it illegal to reverse onto a main road? or is that only out of your own driveway or something?

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 S106 simply says "No person shall drive, or cause or permit to be driven, a motor vehicle backwards on a road further than may be requisite for the safety or reasonable convenience of the occupants of the vehicle or other traffic, unless it is a road roller or is engaged in the construction, maintenance or repair of the road" so reversing from a driveway or side road isn't illegal as long as the driver can claim to meet the reasonable convenience requirement.

The Highway Code Rule 201, based on the CUR, just says "Do not reverse from a side road into a main road. When using a driveway, reverse in and drive out if you can.".

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. PeteH

PeteH Funster

Here, we have real fun, In close proximity are the Doctors, The Pharmacy, and the Primary School, entrance. So from 8-25ish in a morning the "sick and sorry" start parking for their appointments, (no off street parking for the Doctors) followed by the "WAG`S", Footballers wives, whatever!. Who drive 200yards from the small "Executive" estate at the bottom of our road, park remove school age child from the vehicle followed by the pre school child via the door(s) on the Road side (obviously, cannot go getting the designer boots muddy on the grass verge) walk the remaining 30yards to the school gate and stand "gassing". whilst texting or facebooking, return to vehicle (C,T. SUV etc;) and spend several minuets restraining said sprog, before eventually making 15 point turn Often using Our driveway before returning the 200yards home. This process is repeated at 3-25pm. Just as Afternoon/Evening Surgery Starts, and the Sick and Sorry start fighting for parking. Including BOTH side of the road and on the corner too. In between all this, there is a steady stream of "punters" for the pharmacy, who likewise desperately need to be parked not further than 2'', from the door!!.

My neighbour, and ex traffic officer himself has tackled the L-A, several times, as I have I, to have AT LEAST double yellows on the corner. But the "Party line", as far as we can make out is "Someone (Child?, OAP?) has to DIE "before we can do anything!".

BUT, the real fun begins when I want the Motor-home out!, If I wait until "Mayhem" I cannot reverse into the road AND straighten up because of the parked vehicles. So then I have to resort to getting out early Parking SWMBO`s Car, and the "toad" with a big gap between them and fill it with Wheelie Bin`s!!!!. I now have sufficient room the exit and Park!! because as I reverse into the road, (I would prefer to drive out but if I park that way I cannot get in the Hab Door!) SWMBO, moves HER car Puts the 4ways on, while I move the Bins, and blocks the road until I am Parked by the kerb.!!.

Just another day in Paradise!!!

Pete

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Just a suggestion. Would it be possible to use the driver door rather than the habitation door if the vehicle was reversed in? That's what we used to do when we had our previous van, which had the hab door on the UK near side.