Parking sensors.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by haganap, Feb 4, 2016.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Now Nikki has taken to driving the MH, I want to get some aftermarket parking sensors fitted. Anyone done a retro fit?

or any idea of costs involved to get it done ?

Quite competent in fitting them all except for the bit that says wire in to the Ignition, not keen on that bit.

2. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Bull bars and hammerite them when they start looking tatty.

3. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Wire to ignition will mean wire to a live that goes off with the ignition. Normally taking a feed from a power socket/ fag lighter does the trick.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. chaser

chaser Funster

Thought you just connected them to the reversing light.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

6. Xabia

Xabia Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I went to Maplins and bought two sets of their own brand sensors. Two because there is too short a length for a motorhome but there is too much for the average car, so I spliced in a length to make one a lot longer. It is a very easy fit the most awkward thing is crawling around the bottom of the floor to fit the wire around the chassis ,it goes up through the floor to the dash and has an indicator with readout and beeper that get more strident the nearer you get to the object. The power comes off the reversing lights an easy fit for an average person, took a bout 2 hours with a bit of faffing about and a cuppa.
    I am dead happy with it but beware it does not sense railing as the signal goes straight through them. Cost me a rearlight unit that one did. You also have another set to fit to the car when you get around to it???? They are for sale now at £39.99 but I am sure they were a lot cheaper when I got them or I would only have bought one and made some wiring up.

When you need to fit extra items to the curcuitry DO NOT FORGET that there are piggyback fuses available that just plug into the fusebox and give whatever you want out , ignition switched on and from another fuse permanent live. best and neatest solution for power out from a vehicle

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

About 30 quid off eBay.

9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Since you are now a man of substance Paul, why not take a trip to Telford and let Diamond Dave Newell fit sensors for you?

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Actually about 11 quid!

11. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

When we fitted them to our last motorhome we discovered that the extra width of the Motorhome caused the sensors to miss the odd thing.
    You need them to overlap.

Maybe fitting 2 sets is the answer, they are cheap enough.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

Got them ready fitted on our (Ford) Chausson, but beware quiet beepers! Ours is so quiet I can only compare it to a slightly alarmed Fieldmouse with a bag over its head in a soundproofed room. Absolutely no use whatsoever and no way of making the system any louder (I have asked the dealer to try). Can't even find where the damn beeper is hidden in the bowels of the cab otherwise I would rip it out and fit a police siren......

13. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Yes, I have thought about that , Dave's done an alarm for me in the past and isn't too far away from me, I must ask how much Dave would charge. I might add that it's actually the front parking sensors I need as most of the time the scooter rack is on

14. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. Abacist

Abacist Funster

There was chap selling parking sensors, cameras and the like at the various of the MMM shows. I bought a set, silver coloured, complete with a hole cutter and fitted them. They work a treat wired up to the reversing light. i have a sound alarm only which is very loud and is perfect for giving me a metre of room when it sounds continuously which is just right to protect the bike rack hanging off the back. Cost from memory about £30.