Free Member
Jul 10, 2009
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
first
Can you please let me know what the rules are, (highway code & etiquette), and where it is acceptable to park and sleep overnight?
What do people normally do when touring if they don't get to a site?
Also, if I visit a friend and park in the street outside, can I sleep there?

Many thanks

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The regulations covering parking and sleeping in the vehicle vary from place to place. See My Website for some guidance. There is no national legislation covering sleeping in the vehicle (either allowing or preventing) but there may well be local traffic control orders.

If you can park on your friend's drive whilst visiting there is no problem with sleeping in the vehicle. If you have to park on the street then it depends on any restrictions which apply in that area.

What people do when touring and can't get to a site varies from person to person. Personally, we always stay on a (permanent or temporary) site. No doubt others will be along to advise what they do :Smile:

Graham

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Hi and welcome to the site. There are no specific laws in the UK banning overnight sleeping. There are many bylaws which prevent it. However unless there are signs to say so then how do you know. We have wild parked and slept overnight all ove the UK for the last 40 odd years and never had a problem. If there is a problem the local council contact the police to have you moved on. Assuming you pull up afte 5pm and leave in the morning there is not time for the system to act anyway. There are laws to prevent camping without the landowners permission so no awnings or chairs outside or whatever and you should be fine. Main thing is not to worry about it. Parking near a Pub invites trouble but parking outside a friends house for the night should be no problem. Make sure you keep lights to a minimum keep curtains closed and could be no one will realise you are even in there. So as long as you are legally parked no problem. Just enjoy.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back