Parking overnight at Caen/ ouistreham port (1 Viewer)

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
I am just planing next years French trip Portsmouth /St malo but coming back we sail at 8.30 am from Caen/Portsmouth my question is can I park overnight at the port in France or is there somewhere very near ?

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We stayed there a few weeks ago, before taking the early ferry. It's OK. Entry using credit card at barrier. Room for around 30 vans, at a guess. It fills up in the late afternoon, so probably best to get there in good time.
There are lots of restaurants in Ouistreham, so it's no hardship spending your last evening there, and it takes about 5 mins to drive to the ferry terminal in the morning.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Excellent Bellabee ,thanks for that I think this is where we will head for and this will be a new experience for us as we have never stopped at an aire .first time for everything .(y)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Excellent Bellabee ,thanks for that I think this is where we will head for and this will be a new experience for us as we have never stopped at an aire .first time for everything .(y)
Its next door to the ferry terminal,,,very handy. BUSBY,,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is the barrier new? I don't remember one being there last year.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
pm d you,,BUSBY,,

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You can park in the ferry loading area after the last evening ferry has gone, we were going to do that a couple of years ago but paid around £20 extra and went on the evening ferry instead.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We use villers bocage aire about half hr from port. It's free and quiet just on the edge of the village very good aire(y)

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Most ports I've found let you just park up there for free

Dunkirk port had an excellent secure parking area next to check in that we overnighted in for free a couple of weeks ago, maybe something similar at Caen?

Turned out it was much better than Dunkirk Aire that was rammed full and next to a dodgy looking block of flats

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Most ports I've found let you just park up there for free

Dunkirk port had an excellent secure parking area next to check in that we overnighted in for free a couple of weeks ago, maybe something similar at Caen?

Turned out it was much better than Dunkirk Aire that was rammed full and next to a dodgy looking block of flats
How long since you parked at Dunkirk Nick..Some friends told me they have reduced the size of the car park and there is very little room now,,,,BUSBY,,

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Just 3 weeks ago, we got there around 9pm on a Monday night and there was loads of space, only a handful of motorhomes there that were mainly small PVC's and maybe 20 cars

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Just 3 weeks ago, we got there around 9pm on a Monday night and there was loads of space, only a handful of motorhomes there that were mainly small PVC's and maybe 20 cars

Thanks,,,i was misinformed,,,,,,BUSBY,,

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I don't think there is a parking area at the Ouistreham ferry port, but I could be wrong. Although, I imagine you could park on the street, if you wanted. Personally, we prefer the aire.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
I don't think there is a parking area at the Ouistreham ferry port, but I could be wrong. Although, I imagine you could park on the street, if you wanted. Personally, we prefer the aire.
Not been but the web reckons there is short and long term parking on-site albeit another site says its for cars only

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Not been but the web reckons there is short and long term parking on-site albeit another site says its for cars only
Have seen cars parked but not vans,,no problem with an aire next door,,,BUSBY.

May 30, 2012
Bristol
Funster No
MH
PVC Vantage Neo
Exp
25 years
Riva Belle was Pommiers. Some hard standings quite expensive at 26 Euros but you can get out from 6.30am with the barrier code. Easy walk to town and 5 mins from ferry.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Riva Belle was Pommiers. Some hard standings quite expensive at 26 Euros but you can get out from 6.30am with the barrier code. Easy walk to town and 5 mins from ferry.
Thanks for that Lesley and themogs , that is a really handy campsite for the port (y)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
I use Riva Belle (Pommiers). As said by Lesley and the Mogs, easy access, good for late arrival as they stay open for the evening ferry, and 1 mile for the morning ferry. They are updating the site, new facilities etc. The hardstanding 'aire' around the outside was €13.10 (inc taxes) that gives you hookup and services at the end of September.
The main site is about €22, but didn't use it, the grass pitches are large and have water / electric to the pitch. A couple of changes since we used it in June, all pitches are numbered, although if only stopping 1 night and arrive on the evening ferry, they don't seem to bother. The barrier opens at 6am now, so if you really want to sit at the terminal, you could be there for 6.10am.
You have to ask for the code for the rear gate that puts you on the canal footpath, they used to tell you when you checked in, easy walk into town.
You have to make it clear you want the 'Aire Camping Car' otherwise they will put you on the main site (unless you want that of course) the reception staff speak pretty good English and seem to understand my French!
There is a Carrefour and fuel station about 1 minute from the site.
The reception does close for lunch, if you want the aire, we normally aim for early afternoon as it can start to fill up later in the day.
pommiers.jpg

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
If you check on Brittany Ferries website, it confirms that you can park in the lanes if you are on the early morning ferry.

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Thanks everyone for your advice I think we are going to try and get on Riva Belle at Pommiers for one night failing that we are going to try the aire at Oulstreham . I am really going to stop being a tart and start using aires :LOL:

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi @Howard H
We used the aire at Hermanville FREE about 4 miles from the ferry,its at the back of a boulangerie & some small shops ,when we were there ,there was 8 moho's ,quiet night, bit more busy A M .
GPS 49.286131, -0.312269

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi @Howard H
We used the aire at Hermanville FREE about 4 miles from the ferry,its at the back of a boulangerie & some small shops ,when we were there ,there was 8 moho's ,quiet night, bit more busy A M .
GPS 49.286131, -0.312269

Oh @FIDGET did you have to? We found that one a few years ago and it's always been nice and quiet. Fat chance now:cry:

OP
OP
Howard H

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
SORRY !!!!! @TerryL ,only trying to help a fellow funster
ideal spot after late arriving ferry ,less than10 mins away
Glad there are people like yourself that are willing to help us foreign travel beginner and less of them that don't want to help and maybe in a few years time I will be able to help someone thanks (y)

May 29, 2015
Worthing,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Fairford PVC
Exp
Since 2002
A couple of years ago we arrived on the afternoon ferry and arrived at Ouistreham about 9.30. The aire was full so we parked on the road outside. Not long afterwards the boys in blue arrived ( probably summoned by a local resident ) and said that it was "interdit "to stay overnight there. I speak reasonable French, so apologised and asked where we could stay. Follow us they said we will take you the nearest camp site ( on the roundabout on the way in to the port) and zoomed off. Well I was towing a trailer at the time so struggled to keep up. They eventually stopped on the supermarket car park, again on the way to the port and said it was OK to stay there, so we have several times. We have also stayed on the ferry park after the last sailing but had to put up with refrigerated lorries at the side of us. A useful camp site is over the Peagasus bridge and about a mile further on. Nothing special but friendly and handy. Sorry but have forgotten the name. Have a good time

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back