parking on road albeit temporarily !!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by Dai Motorhome, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Dai Motorhome

Dai Motorhome Read Only Funster

Last week I rang Motorhome Facts insurance and told them that as we were having our drive resurfaced, my normal practice of parking on the drive would have to change for just one week to parking on a quiet road a few hundred meters from the house. They promptly increased my premium by £25.50 for this week on the road.
    Having paid, I began to wonder about the logic of this: after all the initial policy asked where do I normally park the m/h. If i park on the drive for 51 wks and on the road for 1 wk surely this still count as 'normally' on the drive.
    Then I wondered as I sometimes visit my daughter in Plymouth en route to Cornwall and have to park on the road as she has a short drive - should I ask the Insurance company whether they expect an increased premium for this on road parking?
    Just wondered what the consensus of opinion is?
    cheers
    Dai

• Like Like x 1
  2. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

So what aboutif you are wild camping on a road. I wouldnt have mentioned anything to the insurance company.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Geordies

Geordies Funster

I posted a thread about this very subject back in April, it seems different insurance companies apply this rule in various ways !!

4. phase3begins

phase3begins Read Only Funster

Perhaps a bit cynical but.
    We all tend to be on the back foot / hesitant when we call insurance companies about changes. Company employee thinks let's give it a go, try a few quid.
    I'm with you on the what about when travelling, isn't the MOTORhome a clue to them!

5. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

Never give insurance companies the reason (an i mean any) to screw you out of your hard earned cash, anything you tell them they will always try and turn it into pound notes for them - biggest scammers around !

• Like Like x 4
  6. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Now you know who to phone when you renew!

This forum section is sponsored by AIB Insurance. They offer an excellent discount to Members
    Once you have your quotes, give these guys a call and tell them you are a Funster
    AIB Insurance [​IMG]02380 268351

• Like Like x 3
  7. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

you have been scammed get on to FSA think it used to be called HI way robbery

• Like Like x 4
  8. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Probably £0.50 for the extra risk and £25.00 for the paperwork to change the policy

Nothing honest about insurance companies :(

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dai Motorhome

well the long awaited reply has arrived: -make of this what you will.

Thank you for your e-mail received on the 19th August.
    We would confirm that each individual motorcaravan policy is incepted on its full merits. Most enquiries fall within our normal underwriting criteria, but we always strive to be accommodating in other risks, which may be subject to referral to our underwriters.
    We note from your Statement of Facts that your vehicle is valued at £50,000, and other than the factory fitted immobilizer has no other approved security devices. Consequently this factor would have been taken into consideration when assessing the risk.
    We do have strict guidelines for where vehicles may be parked when not in use, i.e. when not being used for travel or other day to day activities, e.g. holidays. Most policyholders will keep their vehicles either on their own driveways or in secure storage.
    We are motorcaravanners and have run Motorhome schemes for the last 25 years or so, and during that time we have become aware that motorcaravans parked away from the policyholder's address, or in approved storage, are open to abuse in respect of malicious damage, theft of, or theft from.
    Due to our experience, any cover undertaken when the vehicle is parked on the road, will have strict criteria and usually a higher base premium. We do refuse cover for many vehicles parked on public roads.
    With regard to your own request, a small additional premium was charged, which also related to your change of address and was kept to a minimum as a measure of good faith. Under normal circumstances we would most certainly not have covered a vehicle with a value of £50,000 being parked on the road, even temporarily, without an approved alarm or tracker or indeed both being fitted, dependent on the post code. Consequently we feel that the additional premium was only a very small percentage of the premium which could have been charged, and this was incorporated without the request for additional security being fitted onto the vehicle.

If you need any more assistance with your policy, or have any further questions, please contact us on the number below.

Regards

10. just a shadow

just a shadow Read Only Funster

legalised money launderers and professional goal post movers. I recently discovered I had a policy on a commercial vehicle which wasn't worth the paper it was written on 2yrs cover paid for totally invalid

• Like Like x 1
  11. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

On a motor home of that value, I would have thought most insurance companies require a tracker.
    If you do not report any changes, the problems will start if you need to make a claim.
    They are trying to reduce fraudulent claims which in the end put up our premiums.
    Choice is yours-
    Are you feeling lucky? Lol

12. Manic

Manic Funster

You should have slept in it.

13. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

So does that mean you can't park your motorhome on the road ever? Not even to stop and buy something when you are actually using it?

14. Gandhi

Gandhi

Quote - We are motorcaravanners and have run Motorhome schemes for the last 25 years or so, and during that time we have become aware that motorcaravans parked away from the policyholder's address, or in approved storage, are open to abuse in respect of malicious damage, theft of, or theft from. End quote

Did they not spot the irony of this statement when describing motor-homes considering the nature of their intended use?

Paul

15. Dai Motorhome

Well the Saga comes to an end. My policy expires soon so I asked about the renewal notice. I was told by motorhome facts that I couldn't get a renewal unless I agreed to the parking rules as laid out in their letters. Since then I approached AIB who inadvertantly tried to get me a policy with Aviva (who underwrite Motorhome facts) only to be told that Aviva wouldn't insure me!!!! Luckily AIB have been very helpful and have found me another policy at a lower price. Never again will I use Aviva or Motorhome facts. Really disgusted with the entire process!

16. Gandhi

Gandhi

They might well learn just how powerful (negative and positive) the effects that forums such as these are. My insurance is coming up and I've already taken note.

• Like Like x 1
  17. iandsm

iandsm Funster

I think I would find a different insurer!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Dai Motorhome

that's what Ive done!!!!!!!

19. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

Unity is strength brothers and sisters.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Allanm

Allanm Funster

I think this part of their reply covers that query....We do have strict guidelines for where vehicles may be parked when not in use, i.e. when not being used for travel or other day to day activities, e.g. holidays. Most policyholders will keep their vehicles either on their own driveways or in secure storage.

Still agree with you that what they did was bad, and they have lost a customer and many more prospective customers.
    Well worth charging you that £25!
    Allan

• Like Like x 1