Parking on Dover Docks

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by joan, Oct 18, 2009.

1. joan

joan Read Only Funster

Hi out there, Does anybody know if you are allowed to park on the docks at Dover overnight? Hoping to sail to Europe New Years Day. Thanks for any info Joan

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

As far as I know its not allowed,if you arrive more than 3 hours before your booked sailing the ferry company will send you back out again.
    We normaly park up on the promanade.

3. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Park on Marine Parade, Parking on the docks is not allowed for security reasons. Marine Parade overlooks the sea and is lovely. Also there is a car park prior to marine parade which can also be used/:thumb:

4. theresa

theresa Read Only Funster

we parked over night at tesco , just up the hill from the port , if you ask some one near the port i am sure they will tell you where it is . we had no problems there over night and you can get a meal in tesco cafe :Blush::Blush:

5. keith

keith Funster

Not agree with Snowbird, we often turn up early & they put you on an earlier ferry. Only if their is one of course. :Wink:

6. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

this has happened to us once Keith, they give you an owl to put on your windscreen and make you do the drive of shame.
    I say once in about 30 + sailings:thumb:

7. davetthedon

davetthedon Read Only Funster

Park up in maidstone services, they charge £10 which is payable in the newsagents shop inside, this also gives you a cup of coffee or a couple of quid off at the costa coffee. They have a patrol which checks the lot, and clamps if you don't pay. They also have frequent police checks so more secure than dover parade. We contacted the harbour authority in the summer to park and they used to let you park on the dock but stopped it due to security issues (read Itinerants), suggested the harbour road, but I decided since i was passing the services it would do. Its not too far from dover port. Also there is a Beef eater at maidstone with a big car park next door, I think its a carpet warehouse or dfs? by the park and ride. Handy if you are late going through, they serve late as its a lso a premier inn. :thumb:

8. lebesset

lebesset Read Only Funster

I tried it , but soon got thrown out by security
    like the man said , the promenade overlooking the sea ...with all the other motorhomers

just go to the roundabout at the dock entry , back towards folkstone , second left
    free from about 6pm to about 8.30 am ...anywhere you like

9. wasp

wasp Funster

We`ve parked on the promenade a few times thre is sometimes an idiot who drives past in the morning about six o clock and thinks its fun to honk his horn as he passes :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:he probably works on the docks

10. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Norfolkline ALWAYS send you back now.
    They WILL allow you on the previous sailing to the one you are booked on.
    Other than that you have to go to the office and pay an exorbitant rate or go out of the docks.:Sad:
    It didn`t used to be so ,but so many clever dicks were booking late night cheap ferrys and turning up at premium times asking to go on the waiting list all the ferry companys had a clampdown.:Sad:
    My niece works for one of the ferry companys and told me they were even bragging about it on a forum.:Doh:
    Ferry companys like many others read open forums,to get feadback etc, so am afraid things have now changed.
    I do have first hand knowlage of this, as in the last 6 months have travelled back and forth every 3 weeks.

11. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi, we always park in the central carpark in Dover. Between 6pm and 8am it is free. There is a police station nearby, the carpark is very well lit and patrolled during the night. If you want fish and chips or any other take away they are only a couple of minutes walk away. There is also a small park adjacent so you can take the dogs for a walk.

It is very safe and secure and convenient for all the amenieties. The only problem is I cant tell you the exact coordinates as we have it as a favourite on Tom Tom.

We always have this carpark as our first stop before the ferry and usually spend the night there before setting off home.

Hope this helps, I am sure there is somebody out there with the exact coordinates, I will keep looking for them.

Ginny

12. keith

keith Funster

Hi Ginny,

How are you two?

Are you off to Bon Repose this winter? I think we will be there later, early next year.

Keith

13. Mr Colpot

Mr Colpot Funster

We have stayed on Marine Parade Saturday Night at end of May, and a Friday Night at the end of August. Both Nights we had no problems, only noise was from other Motorhomers arriving/leaving, apart from the Firework display we were treated to on the Saturday in May which we enjoyed from the comfort of our 'home'. :Smile:

14. Teasy2007

Teasy2007 Funster

Hi Keith and Jean, we are both well - just!

We cant go to Bon Repos this winter because our lovely Cassie died of a heart attack in July and Ben seemed to give up, moping around and not wanting to do anything. We decided to get another dog to try to bring him round and we bought Charlie, a maltese/lahsa Apso. (we couldn't get another yorkie after Cassie). He is brilliant and has worked a treat with Ben who now seems half his age.

We have just completed Charlie's passport and will be going to Santa Susanna and Bon Repos in March until June. Will you be there then it would be lovely to see you again. ?

Ginny and Mike

15. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

But just make sure you are mobile by 0800hrs otherwise you will get a ticket slapped on your screen....even if you are sitting in the van! Dover is horrendous for ticket 'jobsworth' bods who have literally driven business out of town altogether. Just ask any small shopkeeper there what they think!

16. The Wallace

The Wallace Read Only Funster

We parked at the Swingate Inn, just off the Canterbury road about a mile or so from the docks. email:- info@swingate.co.uk. (cant do the fancy links to lat and longt)
    If you have dinner they don't mind you parking overnight in the car park.
    Needed to eat so no hardship! Decent pint and pub grub.

17. keith

keith Funster

We may well be gone by then. We should be there about February, no fixed plans as usual.

18. vaughan

vaughan Read Only Funster

I agree with haganap, overnight parking on marine parade. It is allowed officially, free until 9am. Have stopped there may times.:Smile:

19. lisab

lisab Read Only Funster

Marine parade in March and June no probs, couldnt stay in Septemebr as our grumpy mate wouldnt do it:Doh:

20. ronfleur

ronfleur Read Only Funster

Wot about Folkestone

Where's best place to stay for an early morning tunnel start pls?
    Barry