Parking on Car Parks (1 Viewer)

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
We haven't had our MH too long and are still a bit nervous about where to park. The MH is abut 20 feet long but all the wheels comfortably fit inside a normal car parking bay on say a supermarket or council car park.

Is this legally parked as all wheels are inside the bay, even though the overhang at the back is way outside? I think the law regarding parking on the road (say at the end of a double yellow) is that it is parked legally as long as the wheel isn't over the start of the double yellows regardless of any overhang by the body of the vehicle. Is this the same case in parking bays?

We've done it a few times now but are still a bit wary about doing it and dread coming back to the MH with the thought that we've been given a parking ticket or something.

Can anyone put our minds at rest on this issue?

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Usually the four wheels have to be within the bay however if the back overhangs another bay you could be in trouble

Rules change slightly dependent on which area you are in, so you are always best to email or write to the local council - that way if they give you an answer and you then get a ticket you can appeal and have written evidence to back up your appeal.

ALWAYS appeal against any parking ticket issued.

xxxx

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes, as said rules differ between councils. Apart from vehicle length, motorhomes are barred from certain car parks anyway by virtue of weight and/or vehicle type.

Have a look at my web site - Motorhomeparking.co.uk. Should give you most of the information you need.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Baggins

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
Torbay
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
You are quite right about wheels being within marked area on on-street parking as they are covered by national regulation.

Car parks are not covered by Traffic Regulation Orders and will often give tickets if you occupy more than one space. Try to find edge spaces where the back overhang is over rough ground.

As a precaution against jobsworths if you think there is any possibility of doubt take a couple of photos.

Good advice above about contacting council in advance if you expect to stay in one place for long as they 'may' have special facilities.

BW

BW

Is this legally parked as all wheels are inside the bay, even though the overhang at the back is way outside? I think the law regarding parking on the road (say at the end of a double yellow) is that it is parked legally as long as the wheel isn't over the start of the double yellows regardless of any overhang by the body of the vehicle. Is this the same case in parking bays?

We've done it a few times now but are still a bit wary about doing it and dread coming back to the MH with the thought that we've been given a parking ticket or something.

alf

Free Member
Apr 7, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Car Park Parking

How's this for a quote from a motor caravan owner

Quoted on MHF :whatthe:

I am also inconsiderate when parked at Tesco as I staddle two or four spaces and park at a cock eyed angle to ensure I do not get blocked in. Or is it Tesco who are inconsiderate for not making provision for motorhomes? To be fair, at some of their stores, the are places for motorhomes to park. :Eeek::Eeek:

Alf

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Is this legally parked as all wheels are inside the bay

No your mind cannot rest, round here I have heard parking wardens carry a stick and line it up with the vehicle, now you can't do that with the wheels :Sad:

An entry on Graham's page, from the council, says that you WILL be fined if you are not in the bay and they have no option for you to buy two tickets.

Useless c**ts.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
How's this for a quote from a motor caravan owner

Quoted on MHF :whatthe:

I am also inconsiderate when parked at Tesco as I staddle two or four spaces and park at a cock eyed angle to ensure I do not get blocked in. Or is it Tesco who are inconsiderate for not making provision for motorhomes? To be fair, at some of their stores, the are places for motorhomes to park. :Eeek::Eeek:

Alf
Thanks for that Alf.

Is it any wonder that facilities aren't provided when you have selfish idiots like that as an example?

Grahm

derekfaeberwick

Free Member
Dec 1, 2007
Berwick
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
9 Years
My van aint huge by any means but I do need 4 bays in a supermarket car park if I want to get out again.

p.s. I drive artics for a living so I do know what I'm talking about.:RollEyes:

OP
OP
B

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
Usually the four wheels have to be within the bay however if the back overhangs another bay you could be in trouble

Rules change slightly dependent on which area you are in, so you are always best to email or write to the local council - that way if they give you an answer and you then get a ticket you can appeal and have written evidence to back up your appeal.

ALWAYS appeal against any parking ticket issued.

xxxx

We don't have time to contact the Councils, we just drop in these places en route to somewhere!

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We don't have time to contact the Councils, we just drop in these places en route to somewhere!

We also drop into places en-route but have often double checked with councils well outside the london area when unsure. Alll it takes its a phone call and (so far touch wood etc) the calls havent been lengthy, cost a fortune and the staff have been helpful.

I would rather spend £2 on a phone call than up to £150 on a parking ticket.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
My van aint huge by any means but I do need 4 bays in a supermarket car park if I want to get out again.

p.s. I drive artics for a living so I do know what I'm talking about.:RollEyes:

It's one thing having to straddle a number of bays because of vehicle size but it's another being deliberately inconsiderate as per the person quoted in Alf's post.

Whenever we use supermarket car parks we park some distance from the store so that we aren't in the way of people in cars. That seems to be the norm from what we've seen with other vans. For instance, leaving Peterborough after the show in April there were quite a few vans at Tesco, most straddling several bays but all well away from anywhere where they might cause a problem for anyone else.

Graham

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001

As a precaution against jobsworths if you think there is any possibility of doubt take a couple of photos.

I suppose that when you are at work and doing the4 job you are paid to do it's quite alright for me to call you a jobsworth - presumably that is all that you are - following the rules of your employment.

Now I have no connection with government, car parks or anything similar but I do get fed up with morons who makes posts belittling anyone else who is doing a job that conflicts with their own interests.

Car park attendants are lowly paid and often poorly trained doing a job for which they have no discretion. Much of the time they have to deal with morons and thugs who believe that they can park anywhere they like contrary to all the local parking regulations.

My sympathy is usually with the attendant not the arrogant and rude member of the public who is trying to pull a fast one.

Before you start all start moaning I am being just a rude about the posters as they are about the car park attendants.

Why must we be so negative about these poor devils doing such a terrible job?

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's one thing having to straddle a number of bays because of vehicle size but it's another being deliberately inconsiderate as per the person quoted in Alf's post.
Graham

It's a bit of a fine line, we can fit width-wise in a bay but then can't open the doors when a car leans on us so I have deliberately parked badly when there's oodles of space. Some drivers are so f****ing thick and inconsiderate they deserve no less.

Andy 01424

Free Member
Aug 10, 2009
Hastings East Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV soon!
Exp
0 but lived in static for 2yrs
I suppose that when you are at work and doing the4 job you are paid to do it's quite alright for me to call you a jobsworth - presumably that is all that you are - following the rules of your employment.

Now I have no connection with government, car parks or anything similar but I do get fed up with morons who makes posts belittling anyone else who is doing a job that conflicts with their own interests.

Car park attendants are lowly paid and often poorly trained doing a job for which they have no discretion. Much of the time they have to deal with morons and thugs who believe that they can park anywhere they like contrary to all the local parking regulations.

My sympathy is usually with the attendant not the arrogant and rude member of the public who is trying to pull a fast one.

Before you start all start moaning I am being just a rude about the posters as they are about the car park attendants.

Why must we be so negative about these poor devils doing such a terrible job?

Poorly paid there on £18k in our Town ,yet to run one over hardhat keep trying ,hazard of being a cab driver :RollEyes:,ther crafty down here they used to be out till mid night getting who they could ,now there in bed by 10pm :ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's a bit of a fine line, we can fit width-wise in a bay but then can't open the doors when a car leans on us so I have deliberately parked badly when there's oodles of space. Some drivers are so f****ing thick and inconsiderate they deserve no less.

Take the moral high ground Brian :Smile: You don't have to descend to their bad parking level - just leave them a "£"$%%^$& rude note before you drive off :Smile:

Graham

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Poorly paid there on £18k in our Town ,yet to run one over hardhat keep trying ,hazard of being a cab driver :RollEyes:,ther crafty down here they used to be out till mid night getting who they could ,now there in bed by 10pm :ROFLMAO:

£18K is 30% below the median for the country so they aren't fantastically paid. As Oldun says, many are paid a lot less.

Whatever the wage it still doesn't excuse the abuse they have to put up with.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back