Parking near Newport Register Office (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We are going to Newport in a place called Wales on friday. My Daughter is getting married on Saturday in the register office and we will be travelling in the M/H and hoping to park nearby.
She doesn't really know the area and google maps doesn't show what I want, so, does anybody know of a place to park up for a couple of hours near the building?
Allan

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I never had cause to go there when I lived nr Newport but it's in Stow circle. From memory, Stow Hill is quite narrow, lots of parked cars. There's a car park down by the river- or used to be. Maybe park there and taxi to the register office?
Another idea might be to contact a pub on outskirts of Newport and again, taxi to register office.
I'm trying to think of pubs with good size car parks that are in good area.
There's a couple at Basseleg, few miles outside Newport. I'll google a bit more.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Looks like the open air car park by the river is still there. It's just about opposite the bus station. It's very easy to find. Off the M4, one straight road into the town, go past Newport Bridge ( site if old castle, old castle wall) keep to the left and you'll find the car park. River will be on your left.
It's not a walk from there tho, more a taxi ride or a lift.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the carpark opposite what was the bus station is still there (bus station demolished though), or maybe park in Wickes/Aldi's carpark just down the road from the office. Personally I would prefer to use Tredegar house CC site and taxi in from there. Newport is not particularly MH friendly and certain areas like stow hill where the registry office is are very narrow

wouldn't recommend parking on the road many places in the city either as there have been cases of vans and expensive cars being vandalised. I spend a lot of time in Newport with family and have had several strangers been abusive about our van showing off our wealth. Yes theres great people live in south wales (got to say that) but there are certainly more than the normal amount of aggressive idiots too

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I didn't realise the Tredegar House site was a permanent one. That would be your easiest way. Short taxi ride into town.
Enjoy the wedding.

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
If you drive around Stow Park Circle then just past the entrance to the Registry office there is a turning left onto Cae Perllan Rd, you could park there within walking distance for a couple of hours if it is just parking you want, it is wide enough.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Thanks everyone, food for thought, especially TheBig1's comments!
Think we will play it safe. The reception ( and where we will be parking overnight) is in a hotel about 12 miles west of Newport, think we will get a taxi to and from the register office. :cheers:
Allan

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Get a copy of 'Brit Stops' loads of free one night stays in pubs, garden centres and vineyards etc some with leccie which you pay for

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Get a copy of 'Brit Stops' loads of free one night stays in pubs, garden centres and vineyards etc some with leccie which you pay for
We have the book, didn't even think of using it, thanks for the reminder, we' ll have a search through.
Allan

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
So, in the end, it was easy. We drove to the Registry office Friday afternoon for a scout around and there are plenty of empty roads nearby, so decided to arrive early for the wedding on Saturday. We were able to park right outside the entrance!
We stayed on a C&CC site in Caerleon. What a lovely town, it used to be a Roman Fortress town and is well worth a visit. We stayed at Whitehall Farm.
Allan

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back