Parking Eye

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by electricscott, Sep 13, 2012.

1. electricscott

electricscott Funster

For those funsters that are not aware:
    Just got a letter from Chorley Belvedere retail park, arrived at 15:54:35 and departed 18:41:45 on 4 Sept 2012 meaning we were 17 minutes over the 2hrs 30mins allowed in their car park, for this infringement we have to pay £60 within 13 days thereafter it will go up to £90 + £30 admin costs. Talk about scare tactics. We have obviously become a police state. I can't even remember the Belvedere retail park!:cry:
    It is apparent with the parking eye system even if you are 1 minute over you will get charged £60 and in this instance it is not even worth appealing since it is a private company you are dealing with. i suppose we were lucky not to be clamped.
    This is our first holiday in England for many years as we usually go abroad and there, even with language difficulties we always managed to park legally.

2. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

always worth firing off a letter as had a similiar thing in Coventry 12mins over and i wrote and advised that we had no control over the volume of shoppers and length of time in que to pay and there had to be some lea way.
    The company concerened wrote back and said that if i could provide a copy of receipts then they would refund the charge ( I paid first so that the charge did not go up)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I would have told both companies to stick the tickets where the sun dont shine

• Like Like x 10
  4. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

I suppose you could ask for/demand the following:

"that at all material times the computer was operating properly, or of not, that any respect in which it was not operating properly or was out of operation was not such as to affect the production of the document or the accuracy of its contents."

A "statement" has the same meaning as in section 10(1)(c) of Part I of the Civil Evidence Act 1968, where it includes "any . . . device in which . . . data . . . are embodied so as to be capable . . . of being reproduced therefrom." This would include the memory of a computer.

Treacle or Slobobbobb can confirm , but a company must confirm that the computer/Parking eye system was working correctly at the time and a qualified person must confirm this, not just any employee, but someone qualified to do so.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Why a police state? If it is private property the charge has nothing to do with the police. Sorry if this offends but, whatever the rights and wrongs of there being time limits on parking, it wasn't the fault of the car park owner that the time allowed was exceeded.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Campercaillie

Campercaillie Read Only Funster

:thumb:

7. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

If they do not know or cannot prove who the driver was they cannot take you to court!!!!!

It is not a legal requirement of you to let them know who the driver was either as I believe only the police can demand that information from you and this is a civil matter.

So follow Geo's suggestion and I don't think you will hear anymore from them!

It's just scare tactics:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Regards Pat

• Like Like x 1
  8. ShiftZZ

Its a civil matter, not a criminal one, I suspect they are suing the keeper of the vehicle and not the driver, no RTA offence has been commited, so they are in fact suing you under the terms and conditions of parking there and the overstay is in breach, you assumed the T & C when you parked there...

I suspect you breached your contract.,

Private companies have a right to access the DVLA records under certain conditions,
    By law, DVLA must protect your personal details held on the registers. DVLA can however, under government regulations, disclose information from the vehicle register to those who can demonstrate ‘reasonable cause'. Enquiries must give full details of why they want the information and how it will be used.

Some of the circumstances considered to be ‘reasonable cause’ include:
    •matters of road safety
    •events that occur as a result of vehicle use
    •the enforcement of road traffic legislation
    •the collection of taxes

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Nothing personal against anyone but why, when cases like this arise, do we always see posts urging that the motorist avoid the consequences of the action that he/she was responsible for?

One of the major problems with our society is that people try to avoid taking responsibility for what they do when it doesn't suit them.

• Like Like x 5
  10. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

If the 'fine' was say a tenner everybody would grumble but probably pay up and go on their merry way .

Its when these companies resort to greed and try to fleece people , come on 60 quid . They could go whistle as far as I'm concerned .

• Like Like x 3
  11. Campercaillie

Campercaillie Read Only Funster

It's true: How often do we question as to why a person for no good reason abandons his or her car on a double yellow line, or in a disabled/mother & child bay. To some, taking a hit from a traffic warden or a speed camera is just one of the many everyday risks that they knowingly take, DESPITE the heavy penalities, only to complain afterwards. You either take the risk or you don't. That is the their choice, and as pointed out, his or her responsibility alone.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  12. electricscott

electricscott Funster

sorry GJH i meant it as a metaphorical statement as in the parking eye is an automatic system and does not take into account human circumstances and previously if we are in a queue to pay and new we were going to be a few minutes over one of us one go the vehicle and talk to the parking attended, now we will have dump our shopping and get the vehicle out of the car park.
    Thank you all for your very good suggestions however CAMOCAM1 point :thumb: is valid in our case, as my better half reminded me we spent a shed load of money in TKMAX and i will try this approach.

13. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

as you say Shiffty

As you say Shiffty.. as there seems to be an implied contract which must be at the point of entry into the car park ..read Shoe Lane Parking ...offer and acceptance... presuming it was and you accepted this contract and you parked as we know you did then as Shiffty says you need to write and ask for the proof. It is for them to prove there case not for you to defend it.

As it is a private company, I myself would just ignore the communications ...OK you will get debt collection agents chasing you.. if they decide to go to court fine just ask for the proof that they computers were working correctly at the time. Same as police have to have the speed equipment in patrol cars calibrated and a certificate available. No difference in this case.

Bob

• Like Like x 1
  14. electricscott

electricscott Funster

thanks bob, the form i have has 2 pictures of my motorhome (front & rear) with times above them, would this count as proof?

15. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

yes counts as proof, as said before just drop them a polite letter requesting refund as its the shops that pay the Co to monitor the parking, which is mainly aimed at those that park there and shop elswhere. if you get no joy from the parking people then speak to TK Max

16. ShiftZZ

If the system was working correctly and they can prove that.

17. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

Its good to see that you are back running on all cylinders Geo.
    Pudseykeith :thumb::thumb::thumb:

18. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

You have 2 choices..
    Pay it....

or

DO NOTHING.. and I mean nothing.. It's a private invoice not a fine.. Been through this twice in the past couple of years with wife and daughter overstaying.!! Dont write, dont answer.. The process is that they get your details off DVLA for about £2.50 and then try a few quid on stamps and letters.. If you pay a nice £60 they are quids in.. Usually you get 2 - 4 letters chasing payment, threatening with debt collectors. The stupid thing is that one of these companies actually sent the debt collectors letter from the same address.! and it's "solicitor" was next door...:Rofl1:
    Sit it out and it will all go away, IF and a very big IF they want to follow up they need to take you to small claim court and that will cost THEM, so they dont bother Even if they did that and you attended the JP would most likely say charges are unfair....

www.peppipoo.co.uk. lots of info on here :thumb:

19. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

20. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

By coincidence,....

We too have just received a parking charge notice to owner (my wife), from Parking Eye car Park Management in the post a few minutes ago. :Sad:

Where did we obtain this penalty?

Sunderland Royal Hospital.....

We took our 4 year old son in for a simple operation on his nose last Wednesday. This required him being put under with anaesthetic so we had to stay with him whilst he was put under, then wait for him to wake up again and the staff to ensure he was well and good to be discharged..

They said he should be out again before lunch so I paid and put ticket on the car, but due to the hospital being busy we were there a little longer than expected, so over ran the time on the ticket.

Now having to pay parking fees just to visit friends or family in hospital is bad enough, but being "fined" for taking a 4 year old for an operation, what the hell is going on in this world....:Eeek:

There is an e-mail for appeals, should we do this as we were genuinely there looking after our little boy for a little longer than expected. Is this now an offence in UK....:Angry: