Parking Eye (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
A couple of years ago we were in Cromer and found our way to the council owned parking area.
As it was quite busy in the car parking area, and the MH is 8.7 mtrs long and would have taken two car bays, I decided to park in the coach parking area, which was empty.
I paid for a coach parking ticket, which was approx. twice as much as a car parking ticket, and went out and enjoyed Cromer for a few hours.
When I got back the attendant came over and had a word.
He explained that he understood my reason for doing what I did, but it was still not the correct thing to do.
I asked him if there was provision for larger private vehicles, such as ours, and he said that there wasn't and apologised for the lack of spaces.
After a few more amicable words he asked me to please not do it again, and hoped we enjoyed the rest of our holiday.
What a difference talking to a real person makes.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A couple of years ago we were in Cromer and found our way to the council owned parking area.
As it was quite busy in the car parking area, and the MH is 8.7 mtrs long and would have taken two car bays, I decided to park in the coach parking area, which was empty.
I paid for a coach parking ticket, which was approx. twice as much as a car parking ticket, and went out and enjoyed Cromer for a few hours.
When I got back the attendant came over and had a word.
He explained that he understood my reason for doing what I did, but it was still not the correct thing to do.
I asked him if there was provision for larger private vehicles, such as ours, and he said that there wasn't and apologised for the lack of spaces.
After a few more amicable words he asked me to please not do it again, and hoped we enjoyed the rest of our holiday.
What a difference talking to a real person makes.
That surprises me because North Norfolk Council have offered motorhome parking for some years, information currently published Here. They have recommended Runton Road as the most appropriate for motorhomes to use for several years.

As a general point, parking in coach bays is unwise unless with specific permission as it is normally a sure fire way to end up with a ticket. It is quite understandable because of the need to cater for coach drivers and their driving restrictions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This tread, as they all do has wandered off the op, it was about parking eye, which is quite a different thing than general parking, they are just out to get you , no other reason for their being, if they don't get you they are out of a job, you just can't reason with them, now they have a bit of law on their side, be warned.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
And it comes back to the same advice:

Park properly and don't overstay the time limit. It really isn't that difficult.

If you think you can park anywhere you want, however you want and for as long as you want then IMHO you deserve everything you get.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
@GJH I have just had a look on the map and the one we were in is the one with the entrance on Cadogan Road.
He never mentioned parking anywhere else, so perhaps he was only referring to that particular parking area.
It was the first (and last, so far) time that I have ever been there, so I followed the parking signs and that is where I ended up.
I had no idea that others were available until now.

No harm done anyway, and he was nice about it, so I don't mind (y)

Sorry if I have dragged the post off topic.

Reactions: GJH

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Parking eye have gone from Aldi Bolton and Aldi Northwich both we use regularly. Sad to say they are now covering Matalan, Halfords and Sainsburys Northwich. They have put large signs up saying that any concerns about wrongful charging will not be investigated by the stores, but only by PE.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Parking eye have gone from Aldi Bolton and Aldi Northwich both we use regularly. Sad to say they are now covering Matalan, Halfords and Sainsburys Northwich. They have put large signs up saying that any concerns about wrongful charging will not be investigated by the stores, but only by PE.
As I said, and there is no reasoning with them, I will also add seeing as we keep getting the same post, no, I have never been done for parking and always pay what it says, apart from this run in with parking eye.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
A couple of weeks ago my wife parked our car in the Priory Shopping centre in Worksop.

She entered the correct registration number for the car, paid by cash for sufficient time that she expected to be there and she left within the time she had paid for.

Last Friday we received a Parking Charge notice for £100 - reduced to £60 if pay within 14 days.

The letter states
- 'By either not purchasing the appropriate parking time or by remaining at the car park for longer than permitted, in accordance with the terms and conditions set out in the signage (?), the Parking Charge is now payable to ParkingEye Ltd (as the Creditor)'

The parking ticket receipt she'd paid for has long ago been thrown away, why would you keep it when you thought you'd paid correctly, and we can't prove one way or the other whether she was or wasn't committing any breach of the terms and conditions imposed by ParkingEye Ltd.

The likely hood of us ever parking and shopping again in Worksop is now zero, we live about 20 miles away, but from now on we will be very wary about parking in any ParkingEye car park and will keep receipts at all privately owned car parks for at least a month before disposing of them.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
This tread, as they all do has wandered off the op, it was about parking eye, which is quite a different thing than general parking, they are just out to get you , no other reason for their being, if they don't get you they are out of a job, you just can't reason with them, now they have a bit of law on their side, be warned.
If people parked properly, rather than trying to get something for nothing, then there would be nobody for Parking Eye to "get" would there? As you have demonstrated yourself, in your earlier post, when one is wrongly charged then that charge will be cancelled.
The volunteers who overstay or park to the detriment of the rest of us receive no sympathy from me.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
A couple of weeks ago my wife parked our car in the Priory Shopping centre in Worksop.

She entered the correct registration number for the car, paid by cash for sufficient time that she expected to be there and she left within the time she had paid for.

Last Friday we received a Parking Charge notice for £100 - reduced to £60 if pay within 14 days.

The letter states
- 'By either not purchasing the appropriate parking time or by remaining at the car park for longer than permitted, in accordance with the terms and conditions set out in the signage (?), the Parking Charge is now payable to ParkingEye Ltd (as the Creditor)'

The parking ticket receipt she'd paid for has long ago been thrown away, why would you keep it when you thought you'd paid correctly, and we can't prove one way or the other whether she was or wasn't committing any breach of the terms and conditions imposed by ParkingEye Ltd.

The likely hood of us ever parking and shopping again in Worksop is now zero, we live about 20 miles away, but from now on we will be very wary about parking in any ParkingEye car park and will keep receipts at all privately owned car parks for at least a month before disposing of them.
You need to ask them to state exactly what condition was breached, how and at what time(s) - i.e. to prove their case.
As regards tickets, it is certainly a good idea to keep them in case of a mistake.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@GJH I have just had a look on the map and the one we were in is the one with the entrance on Cadogan Road.
He never mentioned parking anywhere else, so perhaps he was only referring to that particular parking area.
It was the first (and last, so far) time that I have ever been there, so I followed the parking signs and that is where I ended up.
I had no idea that others were available until now.

No harm done anyway, and he was nice about it, so I don't mind (y)

Sorry if I have dragged the post off topic.
Runton Road is the massive field car park just a little further out. Much easier to get to, and park in, than the town car parks.
When we stayed at Sheringham in May we caught the bus to Cromer but on the way down to Lowestoft parked in both the Lidl and Morrisons car parks there because we wanted to do some shopping.

No need to apologise for going off topic. As Chaser pointed out, threads often do :) Besides, the more people are clear about what is allowed and what is not when it comes to parking the better (y)

Shameless Plug - http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/ :clap2::clap2:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Yes Peter, you did. My point was that people who responded to your thread stated that Aldi had cancelled, or helped cancel, the charges for them.

No Graham I called in to Aldi they could not help it was down to P/Eye which I had to deal with when I had the proof. Pete

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!

The letter states

As Graham has said above, request what term has been breached.
Believe the "timing" is done by ANPR \ CCTV on entrance \ exit. They should be in a position to provide photographic evidence to support their case and you should request this if you believe they are wrong.
If they can't it will be a he said \ she said situation.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Graham , I just hope you never have to deal with parking eye , because your sense of justice will be severely strained, I have never overstayed or whatever else you can come up with, they just tried it on with me for no other reason than they thought they could get away with, who saves parking tickets in case they are going to get a fine, was only luck in my case, when I was there , others with me said its broke and just parked up anyway, how they got away with it I don't know.
Another thing to think about is they photograph you going in and when going out so if it takes you five minutes to find a space and another five to find the change , your ticket will be ten minutes different to their photo, so even if you have ten minutes left on your ticket you will be ten minutes over according to them.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Graham , I just hope you never have to deal with parking eye , because your sense of justice will be severely strained, I have never overstayed or whatever else you can come up with, they just tried it on with me for no other reason than they thought they could get away with, who saves parking tickets in case they are going to get a fine, was only luck in my case, when I was there , others with me said its broke and just parked up anyway, how they got away with it I don't know.
But did they just try it on with you? In your initial post (#12) you said that the machine wouldn't take your number so eventually you got a ticket out of it with no number on - i.e. you knew at the outset that something had gone wrong.
Had that been me I would have been looking for the shopping centre management office or security office to explain the situation and should certainly have kept the ticket in the circumstances.
Another thing to think about is they photograph you going in and when going out so if it takes you five minutes to find a space and another five to find the change , your ticket will be ten minutes different to their photo, so even if you have ten minutes left on your ticket you will be ten minutes over according to them.
If they were as tight as that on timing there would be far more people being charged. It might take a couple of minutes to find a spot in a crowded car park in extreme circumstances but how does anyone take 5 minutes to find change when they know very well that they need to have it available to pay the charge?

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
But did they just try it on with you? In your initial post (#12) you said that the machine wouldn't take your number so eventually you got a ticket out of it with no number on - i.e. you knew at the outset that something had gone wrong.
Had that been me I would have been looking for the shopping centre management office or security office to explain the situation and should certainly have kept the ticket in the circumstances.

If they were as tight as that on timing there would be far more people being charged. It might take a couple of minutes to find a spot in a crowded car park in extreme circumstances but how does anyone take 5 minutes to find change when they know very well that they need to have it available to pay the charge?
Have you ever been on a parking eye park? There is no wardens or anything , that's the point it's all on camera, no one with any sense you can talk to, the shops don't want to know.
Do you know how many they do in a day maybe there is far more than you know about.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No one is there to check your ticket , the first you know about it is a week later.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Have you ever been on a parking eye park? There is no wardens or anything , that's the point it's all on camera, no one with any sense you can talk to, the shops don't want to know.
Do you know how many they do in a day maybe there is far more than you know about.
Yes, I've been on several car parks managed by Parking Eye. Many of them I've been on multiple times. Never had a problem.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
This merry band of legalised robbers have had their position in society officially raised to legal and valid.
The man who was contesting the right they assumed to charge £85 fines for overstaying in a car park has been found to have no case to refuse to pay them. The highest court in the land has come out squarely on the rights of parking eye to charge for overstaying at any site they run. A case of you must now pay them and there is an enforceable right for them to do it.
The objector now has a massive bill to pay for the legal cost that Parking Eye have run up to enforce their right to charge.
They are laughing now as it was a test case so they can charge what they like and so can any other of these companies???? we have the legalised bandits back in town. Watch out for parking in supermarkets ie Aldi etc The charges also apply for not compyling with the white lines etc so the large motorhome overhanging the approved space or touching the lines will also be subject to FINES enforcable by law courts. This is all done by cameras and ANPR.
Have a nice Day!

Not true..
The solicitors who took the case on did it on a no win no fee arrangement..
It was all on our local news this evening

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yes, I've been on several car parks managed by Parking Eye. Many of them I've been on multiple times. Never had a problem.
Not going to argue about this, just trying to warn everyone, they were bad enough before so just watch how you go on pe parks now they have a bit of law behind them.

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
What time you arrive and what time you leave when parking on a pay and display will be recorded on a Dash camera and, as long as you keep the ticket from the pay machine, will be definitive proof of the length of your stay.

I believe, in my wife's case in an earlier post, that they can issue many tickets that are not truly accurate and in most cases you and I can't prove one way or the other whether we've broken the terms and conditions.

It's our perception that the Parking companies make 'mistakes' when issuing parking notices and we usually believe that 'our' fine is a bl**dy disgraceful travesty of justice – whether it is or not!

It's not usually a deliberate attempt to evade paying for parking by the majority of the Public but the fines are often considered well above a reasonable excess for overstaying our parking time and therefore it makes most peoples blood boil with indignation.

Moral – use the bus (especially when you've got a bus pass) or Shanks pony!

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In devon earlier this year, we pulled in car park with our 6.7mtr moho, parked up with 2 ft outside of white lines.
a local stopped and said the local attendants here are like little hitlers , suggested taking 2 bays & 2 tickets , that we did, no problem, now a lot more cautious.

Don't do that in Edinburgh (buy 2 tickets) as you will still get a fine in the council car parks.

Here in the Borders they take where your wheels are in relation to the white lines as being in or out of the permitted space. Our works van was parked with one wheel outside the space and got a fine. It wasn't me who parked it :)

If I'm not sure I ask (in person or by phone) or find somewhere else to park. If there isn't anywhere else (Ripon, behind Sainsbury is difficult for example) I drive on, sometimes to another town and when I get chance I write to the chamber of commerce in the place I couldn't park, tell them what happened and send them a copy of the receipts for the trade their members lost out on :)

Reactions: GJH
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Ever wondered why all car parks don't work like airports , where you get a ticket on the way in then simply pay for how long you have been there on the way out, too easy they couldn't fine you ridiculous amounts then.
No need for cameras , wardens or anything else just fair parking fees.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
but how does anyone take 5 minutes to find change when they know very well that they need to have it available to pay the charge?

I have agreed with everything you have said on this thread except this. I literally pay for everything by card except for visits to the pub, the Laundrette and parking charges... I always keep every single bit of change I get and always pay with notes at each visit to a shop or pub just for this reason.

As a fulltimer I am not always familiar with the area I am in and whether there are charges and how much for a parking spot. On occasions over the last 6 years I have been coinless and cashless and turned up at a parking spot that required coins to pay. I have had to run to the cash machine, then inside, queue for the tobacco counter request change. If sale is required purchase a packet of ciggy papers or similar then rush back to get to parking machine etc... Sometimes this can take me 15-20 minutes.

That being said I have never had a problem, a ticket or a letter.

Most places as I understand it judge being within a parking bay based on the wheels being within the lines. An overhang is not judged as being a problem unless you poke it into traffic to cause an obstruction.

I must be the only person on here who keeps all receipts for at least 3 months. I have a box in a draw which I drop them. It has saved me once or twice for other things than parking. My accountant hammered this into me when I first started my business in 98. I found it too much hassle to separate business and personal ones out so just collected everything including parking tickets, bus tickets, train tickets and cab receipts.

If I was to ever get to a car park where I wasn't sure if I was within their rules I would try to ask someone and failing this leave and go elsewhere....
It is their land and their rules. If they make it onerous enough to park I simply won't spend any money with them.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As a fulltimer I am not always familiar with the area I am in and whether there are charges and how much for a parking spot. On occasions over the last 6 years I have been coinless and cashless and turned up at a parking spot that required coins to pay. I have had to run to the cash machine, then inside, queue for the tobacco counter request change. If sale is required purchase a packet of ciggy papers or similar then rush back to get to parking machine etc... Sometimes this can take me 15-20 minutes.

The PayByPhone app for parking has got me out of trouble quite a few times. I use that more often than cash now.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back