Parking Eye

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Nov 4, 2015.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

This merry band of legalised robbers have had their position in society officially raised to legal and valid.
    The man who was contesting the right they assumed to charge £85 fines for overstaying in a car park has been found to have no case to refuse to pay them. The highest court in the land has come out squarely on the rights of parking eye to charge for overstaying at any site they run. A case of you must now pay them and there is an enforceable right for them to do it.
    The objector now has a massive bill to pay for the legal cost that Parking Eye have run up to enforce their right to charge.
    They are laughing now as it was a test case so they can charge what they like and so can any other of these companies???? we have the legalised bandits back in town. Watch out for parking in supermarkets ie Aldi etc The charges also apply for not compyling with the white lines etc so the large motorhome overhanging the approved space or touching the lines will also be subject to FINES enforcable by law courts. This is all done by cameras and ANPR.
    Have a nice Day!

• Like Like x 8
  2. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

The remedy is to boycott both their car parks and the stores' care parks they look after, letting said stores know the reason they are boycotted, of course.
    The motoring fraternity is massive and powerful, but tends to roll over too readily.

• Like Like x 10
  3. barsteward

barsteward Funster

One has to wonder about the legal system, not just here but throughout Europe. But there again, if you don't shop at Aldi and charge the cost of a small semi detached house per hr. What tf would you know about the effects of your decision.:rolleyes::reel:

4. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Fixed that for you John.

No one will boycott any stores in any numbers
    People will moan when they get a ticket, but still pay

A nation on whinging cap doffers I'm afraid

• Like Like x 11
  5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

This is hardly surprising. Beavis lost at every stage and there was never any realistic chance of him winning in the Supreme Court. In effect he has just wasted the time of the court and our money.
    That is a total fallacy. Supermarkets are interested in bringing in customers, not turning them away. To that end they only have restrictions in place where there are problems caused by people abusing the facilities and are, in the main, quite happy for motorhome drivers who are genuine customers to park over several spaces. See their official responses to specific questions on that subject Here.

What the supermarkets (and their agents like Parking Eye) will crack down on are those people who deliberately flout the rules to the detriment of all of us. May of the car parks concerned would be stuffed to the gills by commuters if there were no controls and genuine customers would have nowhere to park.

• Like Like x 18
  6. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

On the other hand, the alternative is to make sure you don't overstay........ the case in point referred to a 2 hour period being overstayed by 52 minutes. They chose a very bad case to test in the Supreme Court - a lesser overstay may have produced a different result. Now we are stuck with it thanks to this :(

• Like Like x 5
  7. GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

So he stayed 43% longer than he should have done. I think you are right - this was the wrong incident to pursue.

After all, at 52 minutes past his parking time it is hardly them standing watching the seconds count down and slapping on the ticket bang on time.

I agree had they taken a test case where the overstay was only 5-10% there may have been a very different result.

• Like Like x 3
  8. GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Parking is a little bit of a passion with me. I hate people abusing systems. I agree that some parking charges are daylight robbery and that is not what particularly bothers me, it is just supply and demand.

What bothers me are the cheapskates who refuse to pay to park to save a couple of quid and park almost blocking roads etc. Leaving a site this weekend was a nightmare due to all the cars parked along the road. There was a car park (£2 per day) that was virtually empty but had toilet provision etc. I bet a lot of those people who wouldn't pay to park didn't mind using the facilities! The car park charge just pays for the upkeep.
    It is the same at Delamere forest - the rangers and facilities have to be funded somehow but people still park dangerously on the road then expect to use the facilities for nothing.

Sorry - rant over!

• Like Like x 8
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

That is maybe what the supermarkets have told you but that's not what parking eye will say when they are sending you a ticket , it's no use going to aldi or whoever , they will just say it's up to parking eye, tough!

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Struggling to understand what the issue is...

When you park you agree to the rules.. you enter into a contract that is clearly displayed.. Tesco near us allow 3 hours free parking.. thereafter there is a £70 charge.. not a fine, break the terms of said contract by refusing to pay the charge .. you go to court.. simple.
    Even I understand that..

As Graham said.. if we didn't have time restrictions at supermarket car parks they would be overrun by commuters using them as free parking.

• Like Like x 11
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

And your evidence consists of what?

EDIT - Perhaps this might help.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chaser

chaser Funster

Because iv been had by parking eye before at Llandudno, year or two ago now, parked on one of their parks, in a shopping thing , anyway the machine wouldn't take my number so eventually got a ticket out of it with no number on , came off in less than the time allowed, then got a fine thingy off them , rang all the shops on the park , none of them wanted to know, as luck would have it I still had the ticket, photocopied it and sent it to p e, same response as the shops, so then I sent it to the town council, and eventually got it dropped, but no thanks to the shops.

13. peter marshall

peter marshall

I had a similar thing in Cleveleys Aldi they have a screen to enter your Reg on leaving. the allowed limit 1 1/2 hours We was in there for 10 min's entered the number and left the car park. a couple of weeks later a fine with photo of my car leaving the car park even though I had entered my correct number. I luckily paid by card so when my bill arrived I could prove we had shopped there that day. If we had paid cash and thrown the till reciept away I would have had to pay. The remedy was simple never been to the store again. Pete

• Like Like x 5
  14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

A car park serving several shops on a shopping park is different from supermarket car parks serving a single shop.
    The former will be owned by a management company rather than the individual shops so it will be the management company which will have the say (and, thus, should be contacted about cancellation).
    The latter is in the control of the supermarket concerned.

• Like Like x 3
  15. maison

maison Funster

My worry would be the size issue.

We have just spent a couple of nights near Marlborough.

We wanted to visit the town yesterday and the market today. On both occasions we stayed on a designated car park and paid the requisite fee.

However, even at 7.2m we overhung all the bays. We parked reversed into a grass verge so the the rear overhang was " out of the way". Even with the rear wheels hard up against the kerb we overhung the front of the bay by about 10".

If a fine was to be levied for overhanging the bay we would be stuffed. We did all we could to alleviate any problem we might cause but still could not comply with the requirements. I have kept the parking tickets for the time being in case of any problem.

Incidentally, we carry a Blue Badge because of my wife's difficulties but disabled bays, whilst wider than standard, are never longer.

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

But, as responses to your thread showed at the time, Aldi are quick to cancel charges that should not have been levied.

17. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

An example of this:

The Morrisons car park in Kettering (owned and operated by the store) used to be Pay and Display with a 3 hour (I think) limit. Buy a ticket, get a voucher to get the charge refunded if you're shopping in the store, no problem.

A couple of years ago the pay and display machines went on the blink and for some reason best known to themselves Morrisons haven't bothered fixing them.

The result... The car park is now pretty much full up every day with cars belonging to staff from Kettering General Hospital about half a mile away who park there for free instead of paying to park on site. If you want to park there to use the store or shop in the town you more often than not struggle to get a space. This is in a two storey car park.

• Like Like x 3
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

In council car parks policies regarding overhanging bays vary so it is best to check with them if in doubt. Many councils will provide extra help for users of motorhomes with disabilities if contacted in advance.

The majority of supermarket car parks do not have parking restrictions so there is no problem with use of multiple bays. Where they do have restrictions their policies are published on the page of my web site which I referenced earlier.
    If there are restrictions in place, having a word with the manager or customer services desk often results in a specific dispensation for a genuine customer (disabled or not). We have taken that approach on a number of occasions.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

One in the eye for Freeloaders?
    Its not unreasonable to landowners to fine people who clog up their car parks, preventing other customers from using them is it?

• Like Like x 1
  20. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

In devon earlier this year, we pulled in car park with our 6.7mtr moho, parked up with 2 ft outside of white lines.
    a local stopped and said the local attendants here are like little hitlers , suggested taking 2 bays & 2 tickets , that we did, no problem, now a lot more cautious.

• Like Like x 1