Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Can anyone advise if they allow MH's in the car park at Stonehenge please?

We are also looking for suggestions of somewhere to stay near there.

Thanks in advance

Kath and Howie

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
At one time there was a height barrier on the main National Trust car park at Avebury but I was told about 5 years ago that it had been removed so motorhomes could park during the day.

All the fairly useless NT web site says is "Parking: pay and display. National Trust and English Heritage members free. Overnight parking prohibited. Please respect the community and do not park on the village streets."

It may be best to contact Avebury direct for advice.
Telephone: 01672 539250
Email: avebury@nationaltrust.org.uk

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've just sent an e-mail to the National Trust asking if they will publish motorhome parking information on their web site as queries arise regularly on motorhome forums.

We shall see what happens but, given that last time I asked they didn't even have the courtesy to reply, I won't hold my breath :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We parked there during the day last year. There were about five or six MHs parked there at the time.

Haven't stayed near there so can't recommend anywhere.

Incidentally, it's a rip off to go and look at a pile of rocks. Around £8 each.
You can walk across the road and stand at the fence and see them for nowt. :thumb:

May 10, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Don’t own one.
Exp
Since 2006(1986 VW T25)
Over night parking has been banned. Good campsite just down the A303 at Berwick St James, Stonehenge Campsite SP4 3TQ.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
There is a byway very close to it, that always seems to have an array of motorhomes there. Around 5 or 6 when I passed on Monday.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Just passed the stones heading west yhere are a couple of laybys set back a little from the road.

I have overnighted in them several times but it was some time ago now.

I kept a sharp lookout for blue people...

Druids not the police.

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
Thanks for all the replies. I telephoned English Heritage earlier on today and a very pleasant lady said that there was no problem with parking motorhomes when visiting the site. She advised that the car park can be busy and they do have an overflow one, however with the kids now gone back to school she said that it is a lot quieter in terms of visitors.

i know we can see them for free from the road but having had English Heritage membership for a few years and have used it very little we feel that we should make use of the facilities! The car parking is also free is you are a member so should be ok.

Staying at Cornish Farm at the moment having had a health check on the alarm system and got Gaslow fitted yesterday.

Kath and Howie

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
This is our first year with English Heritage membership (a present from our son). If you have not been, a trip to Dover Castle is well worth while and you can park the van inside.
We went on the day before sailing and the day after return in July/Aug. The castle is huge and takes at least a day to explore thoroughly - even two part days left us with some areas still to visit.

Next time abroad (next week) we are planning to go to Deal Castle either on the way out or back. :thumb:

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
This is one of the few English heritage sites that also allows free access to national trust members. We were there two years ago

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
We're at present parked in a sleepyspot just up the road from Stonehenge and not far from Avebury, its between Cherhill and Beckhampton.

Ladyrunner

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
6 happy years !!
There is a byway very close to it, that always seems to have an array of motorhomes there. Around 5 or 6 when I passed on Monday.

We stayed in the Byway about two years ago (on the west side of the perimeter fence). I was outside changing my gas bottle in the dark with a torch in my hand when a Police car pulled up. I'm thinking that they are going to tell us to move on, but instead after a brief chat (to suss us out) wished us a good night and drove off.

Parked during the daytime in the car park opposite. From memory the parking spaces were a bit tight and the car park was very crowded.

Julie :)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
The pic below is the track / byway just to the rear of Stonehenge, you can just about see the stones. We didn't actually stay overnight here but we did arrive at about 6am just as it was getting light and there were several vans parked up. Photo was taken in March last year.

Paul

Attachments

• Stonehenge.jpg
    Stonehenge.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 45
Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
yep parked in By way July this year several other vans were around. on old road pass stonehenge car park by way immediately on the left, dirt track some pot holes but driveable.:thumb:

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I've just sent an e-mail to the National Trust asking if they will publish motorhome parking information on their web site as queries arise regularly on motorhome forums.

We shall see what happens but, given that last time I asked they didn't even have the courtesy to reply, I won't hold my breath :Smile:

We've found that usually non-urban house/castle type NT car parks accept motorhomes (free for us as members). Tightly packed urban ones, less likely. They've often been particularly accommodating where the car park has turned out to be smaller than expected, such as Chedworth Roman Villa. It helps that ours could be listed in its own right, being a bit long in the tooth. At reenactments, we often see people taking pictures of it...

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
This is one of the few English heritage sites that also allows free access to national trust members. We were there two years ago

Actually, quite a few do. A bit annoying when you are members of both!

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
This young chap is enjoying some viral success on YouTube with another of his videos about foxes, but I quite like his take on

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbyzgeee2mg"]the secret of Stonehenge..[/ame]

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Stonehenge

Broken Link Removed

This is us parked on the byroad at the side of stonehenge carpark.
We stayed there overnight last year without any problems, further up the track there seemed to be a couple of permanent vans parked.
Sorry abput the crap photo
ALAN

M

Madwife

Deleted User
An update on parking at Stonehenge - we were directed by English Herritage staff to drive through the car park and park in the big field behind which is obviously the overflow car park. We selected a spot high up and set a trend with 2 other MHs parking beside us shortly afterwards. The day was bright and sunny and Stonehenge itself was over run with visitors on tour buses etc. I was very impressed as we followed the members sign and when we arrived at the barriers we immediately allowed in - it reminded me a little of when I bypassed a mile long queue to visit the Vatican museum but that's another story!:ROFLMAO:

We then drove to Stonehenge Campsite which was recommended earlier and had a very pleasant stay. The site is very nice, however the men's facilities lets it down badly.

We are now in Burford in the pouring rain and hoping that it will all dry up in time for Lincoln on Thursday

Kath

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
We stopped off at Stonehenge on Sunday on our way back from the Shepton show, lots of diggers and work going on at the moment, you have to take the back road as there is no entry from the v junction on the A303, we drove right up to the car park then did a left down the dirt road just before the entrance::bigsmile: we were the only ones parked up until three other motorhomes decided to join us:ROFLMAO: a nice old hymer was one of them:thumb:

Rob

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
..it reminded me a little of when I bypassed a mile long queue to visit the Vatican museum but that's another story!

Let me guess - you were dressed up as The Pope.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
We stopped off at Stonehenge on Sunday on our way back from the Shepton show, lots of diggers and work going on at the moment, you have to take the back road as there is no entry from the v junction on the A303, we drove right up to the car park then did a left down the dirt road just before the entrance::bigsmile: we were the only ones parked up until three other motorhomes decided to join us:ROFLMAO: a nice old hymer was one of them:thumb:
[HI][/HI]
Rob

It was still parked there on Monday - the old Hymer!

M

Madwife

Deleted User
[QUOTEit reminded me a little of when I bypassed a mile long queue to visit the Vatican museum but that's another story!:ROFLMAO:

No I wasn't dressed as a nun, priest or the Pope:ROFLMAO:

I was however with a group of travel agents on tour and they had access to all the short cuts/queue bypasses at every place we visited in Rome! The tour of the Vatican Museum was done at great speed - I think in order to get to a restaurant for lunch and some thirst quenching vino:ROFLMAO:

Kath

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back