Parking at Stonehenge

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by Wyaye wires, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Can anyone advise if they allow MH's in the car park at Stonehenge please?

We are also looking for suggestions of somewhere to stay near there.

Thanks in advance

Kath and Howie

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

At one time there was a height barrier on the main National Trust car park at Avebury but I was told about 5 years ago that it had been removed so motorhomes could park during the day.

All the fairly useless NT web site says is "Parking: pay and display. National Trust and English Heritage members free. Overnight parking prohibited. Please respect the community and do not park on the village streets."

It may be best to contact Avebury direct for advice.
    Telephone: 01672 539250
    Email: avebury@nationaltrust.org.uk

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I've just sent an e-mail to the National Trust asking if they will publish motorhome parking information on their web site as queries arise regularly on motorhome forums.

We shall see what happens but, given that last time I asked they didn't even have the courtesy to reply, I won't hold my breath :Smile:

4. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

We parked there during the day last year. There were about five or six MHs parked there at the time.

Haven't stayed near there so can't recommend anywhere.

Incidentally, it's a rip off to go and look at a pile of rocks. Around £8 each.
    You can walk across the road and stand at the fence and see them for nowt. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

Over night parking has been banned. Good campsite just down the A303 at Berwick St James, Stonehenge Campsite SP4 3TQ.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

There is a byway very close to it, that always seems to have an array of motorhomes there. Around 5 or 6 when I passed on Monday.

7. JJ

JJ Funster

Just passed the stones heading west yhere are a couple of laybys set back a little from the road.

I have overnighted in them several times but it was some time ago now.

I kept a sharp lookout for blue people...

Druids not the police.

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  8. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Thought you were talking about the Smurfs :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  9. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

10. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Thanks for all the replies. I telephoned English Heritage earlier on today and a very pleasant lady said that there was no problem with parking motorhomes when visiting the site. She advised that the car park can be busy and they do have an overflow one, however with the kids now gone back to school she said that it is a lot quieter in terms of visitors.

i know we can see them for free from the road but having had English Heritage membership for a few years and have used it very little we feel that we should make use of the facilities! The car parking is also free is you are a member so should be ok.

Staying at Cornish Farm at the moment having had a health check on the alarm system and got Gaslow fitted yesterday.

Kath and Howie

• Like Like x 1
  11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

This is our first year with English Heritage membership (a present from our son). If you have not been, a trip to Dover Castle is well worth while and you can park the van inside.
    We went on the day before sailing and the day after return in July/Aug. The castle is huge and takes at least a day to explore thoroughly - even two part days left us with some areas still to visit.

Next time abroad (next week) we are planning to go to Deal Castle either on the way out or back. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. golly

golly Funster

This is one of the few English heritage sites that also allows free access to national trust members. We were there two years ago

13. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Drove past the Visitor site on Sunday, it won't be ready until next year, still a building site.

You can go down to Stonehenge on the A344 but you cannot get there directly from the A303 now.

14. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

We're at present parked in a sleepyspot just up the road from Stonehenge and not far from Avebury, its between Cherhill and Beckhampton.

15. estcres

estcres Read Only Funster

Are you in the layby?

16. Ladyrunner

Ladyrunner Read Only Funster

We stayed in the Byway about two years ago (on the west side of the perimeter fence). I was outside changing my gas bottle in the dark with a torch in my hand when a Police car pulled up. I'm thinking that they are going to tell us to move on, but instead after a brief chat (to suss us out) wished us a good night and drove off.

Parked during the daytime in the car park opposite. From memory the parking spaces were a bit tight and the car park was very crowded.

Julie :)

17. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

Yep

18. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

The pic below is the track / byway just to the rear of Stonehenge, you can just about see the stones. We didn't actually stay overnight here but we did arrive at about 6am just as it was getting light and there were several vans parked up. Photo was taken in March last year.

Paul

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. B-well

B-well Funster

yep parked in By way July this year several other vans were around. on old road pass stonehenge car park by way immediately on the left, dirt track some pot holes but driveable.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  20. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

We've found that usually non-urban house/castle type NT car parks accept motorhomes (free for us as members). Tightly packed urban ones, less likely. They've often been particularly accommodating where the car park has turned out to be smaller than expected, such as Chedworth Roman Villa. It helps that ours could be listed in its own right, being a bit long in the tooth. At reenactments, we often see people taking pictures of it...

• Like Like x 1